Heart stents. Who has one?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by ghostman1960, Nov 8, 2010.

1. ghostman1960

ghostman1960 Static Nomad

I am getting one put in tomorrow. How long did they keep you in the hospital and how long were you off work for? If there is anything else I should no please feel free to say so. Thanks!

2. Nutt51

Nutt51

I just want to wish you the best of luck and speedy recovery.
    My mom had one put in 2 years, ago, my 46 year old cousin had
    one in last week after he had chest pains and a 100% blockage in
    one artery, and my uncle had one in last month after almost having a
    heart attack.
    Mom was up and about in days, but no lifting.
    My cousin was home after 1 day in the hospital as was my
    uncle.
    Uncle was out of work for a week. Biggest concern was the
    site in the leg where they go in to heal so as not to bleed.
    They can do amazing things now, you will be up and about and
    back full speed in no time.

3. fergie1

fergie1

I've had two put in about 18 months apart. The first one was after a heart attack and I was in ICU for 5 days. The second I went in on Friday and went home on Saturday. (That one actually cost more than the first.) I was back at work in about three days, but no lifting for a couple of weeks. It's amazing what they can do now days. Knock on wood, I haven't had another problem for about eight years. Good luck and you'll be as good as new in no time.

fergie

4. g21owner

g21owner

My cousin just had 2 put in about 3 weeks ago, and he's only 21. Youngest person at that hospital to have a heart attack so far. They said it would take a week for him to be back to normal.

5. Sunset_Va

Sunset_Va

Sir

Good luck on the procedure, but mine was put in while I was awake, the cardiologist ran the wire up to my heart via a artery insertion at the groin area of my right leg. Of course I was sedated, but not asleep. I viewed it all, to be honest, the worse part is the dye used to locate the blockage for the stent.

The procedure took only about 2 hours, pre-prep maybe 1 hour, however the incision where the wire was inserted failed to stop bleeding, ended up staying overnight at the hospital. Found out later that if they had used a catheter on me, it would have avoided pressure, which in turn, would would have stopped the bleeding quicker.

I had severe blockage in one valve, most likely would have had a heart attack if this had not been done.

Later the cardiologist tried inserting a stent into some blockages in my thigh, (I have PAD), and it didnt work, however this time, put the catheter in me and bleeding stopped and I went home that day.

It sounds scarey, but its not drastic, depends on how you can endure the procedure. You will be fine, just think positive.

However, from now on, you will be taking something like Plavix , and Lopressor, to keep the blood from clotting at the stent...if you get scratched you will think you have been cut 12" long......

6. John43

John43

Had a heart attack 25 months ago. They put a slightly curved stent in, missed a few days and back at work. Been ok ever since, still on Plavix though.

7. windplex

windplex

have 2. no heart attack. recovery time minimal -- no lifting. good luck!

8. alphacat

alphacat account deleted

9. swinokur

swinokur

Had MI in Denver in 2004. Came home after 5 days in ICU. Started cardiac rehab and felt ok. Then one day after rehab I just felt "funny". Went to my surgeon. She decided after tests I needed a stent. Had mine done via catheter while I was awake. 1 day in hospital-home but no lifting 2 weeks. On Plavix for the rest of my life-no biggie.

I feel great.

This procedure is almost routine now.

10. Dinky

Dinky Numpty

Good luck. I have 1 stent, LAD, put in about 15 months ago from a heart attack. Watched it being inserted while on the table in the ER.

Had a 10 lb lifting limit for a couple of week and was back to normal in a month, some people would say i have never been normal :wavey:

have never had any problems with it and all seems well....:supergrin:

11. fwm

fwm

I have seven, 5 from the first time and 2 form the second time. And now a quadruple bypass.

I had five drug coated stents in at one time. They use the same drugs as some type of cancer drugs. The women doing the follow up study was surprised they put in five, as the studies done had only been for one or two coated stents at a time. I was home the next day, but I was sick for a week, as she thought I might be with that many. Didn't work very well anyway as I intruded into the three in my right descending artery with scar tissue in six weeks and they had to put two more in there. Finally scared those over and was 99% blocked.

Then I needed a bypass, but guess what. You can't bypass into an artery with 5 stents into it as the combination of metal and scar tissue leaves no place to bypass into. Fortunately the same genes that cause me to make to much scar tissue also had already built a collateral artery that, although blocked, could be bypassed into.

To answer you question, if everything goes well for you, 8 hours and out. Even if you have the drug coated stents one is way to few to make you sick. Except four a tender right groin, you will have no after feelings at all, and probably not much in the way of memories of it. Just no big deal if you still have a healthy heart.

ETA: I was off work for a week, but that was because of the drug induced nausea. If it wasn't for that I would have gone back to work the day after I went home. Like I said earlier, it really is no big deal. Less physical trauma that when I had a planters wart removed.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2010
  12. fwm

fwm

Were you warned not to take anti-acids while on plavix? They render it ineffective and leave you with a false sense of being protected. They didn't warn me about it until after my bypass surgery and I was finally off of plavix, AND I WAS ON A REGIMENT of anti-acids for chronic heartburn. (Turned out the 'chronic heartburn' was a blocked right descending coronary artery, even after the stents).

13. 1 old 0311

1 old 0311

Nothing to it. It is easier than getting a tooth filled. I was in for 2-3 days for observation, but could have walked out same day.

14. kcramer

kcramer

Ghostman...My mother (now 55) had a double bypass heart surgery when she was 32 y/o. Seems like every year since then she has had some sort of problem involving her pumper. God must need her here for some reason cause he's left her here with me. Anyhow, she is now up to 8 stints. Her lastest was installed just last year. With her other stints all went well and she was home the next day. Was advised to take 3-4 days off then she could return to work. The stint last year was scary. The cath site in her groin ended up with a psuedo anurism and they couldn't stop the internal bleeding...we were real close to losing her. Anyway, they say this is very rare and all turned out well. That battle put her out of commission for 6 weeks. I wish you well and I know it's easy to say, but don't stress about it...think positive and rest easy knowing a lot of people are here to support you brother.

15. Lonestar 48

Lonestar 48 Silver Member

I had one put in just last Wednesday. The procedure is much like you've already read about above, and you more than likely will feel great by the time you get home. Take it easy, don't lift, don't strain with a BM for a few days, and enjoy a little relaxation.

You'll do just fine!

16. Harvick

Harvick

Piece of cake... routine, and you'll be back to work in no time. Good luck and make sure you can see the monitor... nothing like seein' a wire go from your grion into your heart.:wow:

17. ghostman1960

ghostman1960 Static Nomad

Thanks everybody. I feel better now.

18. Powermwt

Powermwt Millennium Member

I have 5 stents in me... as well as a couple of bypass operations.

As some have said, it is nothing to get all worked up over. Just take it easy and follow your doctors instructions. If you're feeling pain tell them.

Oh, believe me it is not the end of the world if they start work on you and don't end up installing the stent. Sometimes the best they can do is a bypass. I know a 65 year old that had a 5x bypass 4 weeks ago and he was up and moving around great in a week or so.

Give us an update on how you are doing. :winkie:

19. schild

schild

Mine is also LAD(98% blockage), was put in right after I almost checked out during a heart attack.
    Had my M.I. 7/8/04.

20. 1 old 0311

1 old 0311

See you just got responses from those of us that SURVIVED.:rofl::rofl::rofl: