close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Heart rate and exercise..

Discussion in 'Strength & Conditioning' started by breech, Dec 9, 2006.

1. breech

breech

Okay so I am starting to pay attention to my heart rate during exercise but have a question..

Treadmill vs "pavement pounding"

If I sustain let's say 145 bpm on a treadmill for 1 hour, will it be the same as 145 bpm for 1 hour outside on the pavement? I realize the numbers (HR) are the same but are the benefits different? I know the treadmill is helping me move and I have to pick up my own weight outside. How drastic is it though?

I didn't pay attention in health class. :upeyes:

2. California Jack

California Jack Millennium Member

What I've read before is that your fitness will be the same but if running is your goal you'll be better off outside.

I once read on Runner's World website for a treadmill to approximate running there is a minimum incline it should be set on. I don't remember what % it was but would bet either 1% or 2%.

I know my hammies fell it more when I run outside.

Keep in mind this info isn't rally worth the paper it is written on.

Jack

3. breech

breech

Thanks..

I've been reading into the running vs walking debate as well. Right now my goal is to cut weight. For the past 3 weeks I have been running on the treadmill for about 1-1.5 miles and then walking for another mile. I do feel a huge difference in my endurance. It has dramatically increased. I went from a couch potato to a runnin' son-of-a-gun.

So now I need to start burning fat. That's where I started to do some research on the whole subject. From all the articles I could find online, walking longer at a brisk pace will burn more fat than running.

Here's what I gathered. When you run you use carbs as an energy source to fuel your body since it's working really hard. If you "walk", your body reverts to using fat as an energy source since it doesn't need a burst of fuel.

4. California Jack

breech,

First, congratulations for getting off the couch!

Now, you have opened a big can of worms. Some feel that walking is better for weight loss. There are others (myself included from anectdotal experience) that a shorter exercise period (20 to 30 minutes)with high intensity intervals dispersed in the workout will have better results in the weightloss arena.

If weight loss alone is your only goal, research and pick the program that is best for you. If you think you may turn into a recreational runner entering 10Ks and such, well than what your doing seems better.

Some unsoliceted advise, for weight loss, I believe weight training is very beneficial and helps avoid and/or break plateaus.

If I was trying to loose weight, I would weight train 3x weekly, walk for distance and time 5x wekly and do some high intensity interval training 3x weekly. I would do the weight training and intyerval training in the morning and walk in the evening.

Good luck, ask questions and please keep us informed on your success!

Jack

5. breech

breech

Didn't mean to open the can.. ;) I've been dropping the pounds doing what I do but I feel the need to amp it up just a tad.

I do pay attention to my heart rate now. I bought a heart rate monitor to wear when I walk/run. I've kept it at or above my target zone. It's actually fun using it. Sounds corny but it's almost like a game. I try to keep it at the level I want it at. Helps me pass time too.

Ultimately a workout of some sort is better than no workout.

I think I'm going to add an eliptical machine to my arsenal to help round out my workout..

6. California Jack

Right you are!

Ya know, if it is not fun, most people won't stick with it. So do what you enjoy and reap the benefits. Again, I congratulate you.

Jack

7. breech

breech

Thanks Jack. I feel a heck of alot better now that I started. My whole life has changed. People weren't kidding when they said it's a lifestyle change.

8. AAshooter

AAshooter

This touches on the whole concept of the fat burning zone in workouts. Many pieces of equipment have a fat burning workout and a cardio workout. Generally the fat burning workout is at a lower heartrate.

This may be part of the confusion here. The key to this difference is that this is based on percentages. So a "fat burning" workout will burn a higher percentage of fat than a "cardio" workout.

However, assuming that you work out the same length of time at a "fat burning" workout and a "cardio" workout, the cardio workout will burn a higher number of total calories. Although a lower percentage will be from fat,the absolute amount of fat burnt during a "cardio" workout will be higher.

So, you are better off running for an hour than walking for an hour. Based on this I suppose you are better off walking 10 miles than running 10 miles as far as fat burning.