close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Hearing Protection for Hunting?

Discussion in 'Hunting, Fishing & Camping' started by toomanyhobbies, Sep 16, 2003.

1. toomanyhobbies

toomanyhobbies

I bought a Glock 20 for whitetail deer hunting and would like to purchase electronic hearing protection. I would prefer either behind-the-ear or in-the-ear devices and not muffs. I plan to purchase one for each ear. I have looked at the information on the internet for Walker Game Ears and the E.A.R. Hunter and Mini-Canal models. I have talked to tech support at both companies but would also like to hear from someone with "real world" hunting experience with the wind blowing, etc.

2. Sgt

Sgt

I hunt whitetail with a Taurus Raging Bull in .454 Casull. The gun is ported and from what I've been told, it is very loud to be around when a round gets touched off. I always shoot with electronic muffs when practicing and always hunt with a Walkers Game Ear (the first version).

Serves two purposes. I can hear game coming earlier and can be prepared. When I shoot the gun I have no hearing problems at all. I have never shot this weapon without hearing protection so I can't say for sure how much hearing damage would take place. I am just judging from comments I have heard from other people in the area when I shoot the gun.

Walkers Game Ear gets two thumbs up from me.

3. txgolfer45

txgolfer45

Do you wear the Walker's Game Ear in on ear and then just an earplug in the other ear? Or do you buy one for each ear. I know, this sounds so basic, but, I'm not familiar with the Walker's Game Ear.

Thanks,
    Scott

4. Sgt

Sgt

I just use one WGE in one ear and the ear plug in the other. so far it seems to work great.

Another option to try is a set of electronic ear muffs like Pro Ears or Peltor. I have a set of Pro Ears that I use if the weather is cold (10 degrees or colder), keeps the ears warm and also lets you hear better but still protects the hearing. They aren't as light and comfortable as the Walkers Game Ear.

5. txgolfer45

txgolfer45

I just ordered the Pro Ears Dimension 1 Stalker ear muffs. Designed for hunting and quality of Pro Ears. Should do the job nicely!

Scott