close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Hearing protection for handgun hunting?

Discussion in 'Hunting, Fishing & Camping' started by FritzS, Oct 8, 2002.

1. FritzS

FritzS

Hi,

I'd like to use my G20 for whitetail this year. I hunt in a thick area where it is normal to hear a deer approaching before it can be seen.

Does anyone here use electronic muffs for hunting? Any suggestions for the best brand / model for handgun hunting? Any other suggestions for effective hearing protection that would not hinder the ability to hear approaching deer?

Thanks,
    Fritz

2. pangris

pangris Moderator

Good electronic muffs will enhance your hearing. I know nothing about hunting deer, but I do know that my remington muffs from Wally world cost $100 and allow me to hear every little thing.

I have borrowed other muffs,I believe they were Peltor 6's and I liked them more, but the Remingtons are good enough and were a gift, so i use them.

Paul

3. WalterGA

WalterGA Millennium Member

I use the Pro Ears Dimension 1 Slim Pro. The electronics in Pro Ears is superior to some other brands, which "clip" (cut on and off) when a shot is fired. Pro-Ears circuitry only suppresses sounds greater than 70db. (You can carry on a conversation and hear every word, as somebody's shooting next to you at the range.)

4. FritzS

FritzS

Thanks for the information.

I like the idea of "non-clipping" and the ~$100 price tag, but will probably never see them together. I will look around for something in the slimline version, so they can be used for rifle shooting as well.

Thanks again,
    Fritz

5. WalterGA

WalterGA Millennium Member

I paid $148, plus shipping @ Brownells for my Pro Slims.

6. AAshooter

AAshooter

I have Peltor electronic ears. I really like them but they are more than the $100 you mention. Make sure you are aloud to use electronic ears for hunting . . . some states do not allow them.

7. Sgt

Sgt

I hunt with a Taurus Raging Bull .454 casull. Barrel is ported (very loud!). I use the Walkers Game Ear. Very comfortable, can hear the game coming, have had no problems with ringing ears after the shot.