Healthcare Workers And Hard Decisions

Discussion in 'Covid-19 News/Info' started by Dynactus, Mar 31, 2020.

1. ReaPer105

ReaPer105

She is a coward using her kids as an excuse.

2. airmotive

airmotive Tin Kicker

That’s exactly what my wife’s hospital is doing. C19+ ward is staffed with those under 50 and no dependents at home.
    We are pretty much just prepping to get sick. It’s a matter of when, not if.

All but one of the staff who tested positive just work their regular schedule; they just take standard precautions to not spread the virus. Their symptoms simply weren’t that bed. One NP who tested positive ended up on a ventilator. He’s asthmatic, and developed pneumonia.

NMG26, alwaysshootin and nursetim like this.

3. nursetim

nursetim

You should walk 10 miles in her shoes (average shift). Careful, you may one day be on the receiving end of the same level of compassion you now show.

This doesn’t just go for the person quoted, it goes for all the sanctimonious judgmental folks how have never do the job. I have so I say cut her some slack and show a little compassion.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2020
    n2g, alnicoG22, HollowHead and 2 others like this.
  4. nursetim

nursetim

n2g and Ay Dios Mio like this.
  5. light-switch

light-switch Back to work...

Same. Gender changes nothing as far as parents' obligations and priorities towards their children.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

n2g and nursetim like this.
  6. travisstorma

travisstorma

This kind of hits home. The wife is a home health physical therapist assistant. Right now she is on the verge of leaving her employer of just shy of 11 years.

The hospital she works for put a policy in place that they cannot wear masks at the patients homes in an effort to not fear the patients and be consistent, as they don't have many masks. The reasoning changes daily. The home health personnel cannot refuse to see a patient based on fears of Covid19. If they refuse, the would be terminated.

A couple weeks ago the wife had a patient who's adult live in daughter was showing symptoms. The daughter got tested, but took over a week for the results to be given. It did come back negative, but this whole time the home health personnel were still required to make visits with no PPE.

Now stating that, the home health management made a policy where the home health staff cannot visit the office anymore to pick up supplies or paperwork, to keep Covid19 from spreading. In other words, to protect the management from anything the field staff might be bringing into the office. This whole thing is a cluster.

n2g and alnicoG22 like this.
  7. Grayson

Grayson

Travis - your wife's management are a bunch of hypocritical idiots. Don't they realize personnel wearing masks ALSO protects the CLIENTS, should they possibly be infected but asymptomatic???

n2g and nursetim like this.
  8. nursetim

nursetim

So in the time between exposure, they could have spread it. That is the problem with this extended incubation period and know nothing administrators. This insane!

n2g and alnicoG22 like this.
  9. Gonzoso

Gonzoso

+1

She's being asked to do a job she never applied for, turning it down is not unreasonable.

Everyone has different levels of acceptable risk. I take care of my son on my own, without me he's in trouble. My risk:reward judgement has changed significantly.

nursetim likes this.
  10. Ay Dios Mio

Ay Dios Mio

Thanks Tim.

nursetim likes this.
  11. n2g

n2g

It would seem so, but it's not. I found it hard to believe, too.

On March 11 I got a mammogram, and asked the technician were they not required to wear a mask. (Positioning the machine for the procedure requires the tech's face to be about a foot from the patient's face several times.) She told me they were not allowed to wear a mask, and that if a sick patient came in, they could only mask the patient, and still not have a mask for themselves. She said administration was claiming they didn't have enough masks to let them wear one. She said this was also true in other departments with more risk of infection than the mammography department. I thought this was very unsafe at the time, for both of us.

Then the next week...

On March 19, a mammogram technician who works there died at home from this virus. She was in her early 40s and had no preexisting health problems. She had previously been to the ER at some point but had been sent home. Thankfully for me, she was not my technician. That has been so far my closest call with Mr. CV that I know of.

So yes, this actually happens, crazy as it seems.

One would certainly hope they've now changed their policy on masks that may (may; I don't know how or when she was infected) have cost this technician her life and possibly infected others. Sad, and infuriating.

nursetim likes this.