Health question

Discussion in 'Firefighter/EMS Talk' started by mc24, May 5, 2019.

1. mc24

mc24

Not sure if this is correct place to ask, but I’ve googled and can’t find anything. Can wearing an ankle holster cause health issues, such as blood clots? Thanks.

2. Von Hayes

Von Hayes

3. M7425

M7425

Short answer- it depends.

Long answer- only you can make that decision based on the totality of information. If you have circulatory problems in your legs, diabetes, history of blood clots, etc..., I would consider these carefully, and perhaps an alternative means of carrying. No sense is doing something that could create a problem if you have a condition(s) that predispose you to said problem. I’m not sure if there are any data available on the incidence of thromboembolism with individuals who use ankle holsters. Other clinically-minded GT-ers will likely add their input.
    @nursetim @DocCasualty

Last edited: May 5, 2019
    jimcorbin likes this.
  4. nursetim

nursetim

Blood clots are a concern mostly from inactivity, like flying long distances or driving long distances, or prolonged inactivity like being bed bound. Ankle rigs are not a biggie. If you have peripheral vascular disease, if you rub a spot raw, it could cause problems with healing.

M7425 and jimcorbin like this.
  5. 1919X

1919X

Should be no worse than a tight boot, so no issues as long as you are active. At least I hope I am right,never been a fan of ankle holsters but do wear spare mags and medical supplies in them.

Sent from my iPad using Glock Talk