close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Headset with pc for online gaming

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by Wayne02, Feb 1, 2005.

1. Wayne02

Wayne02

My son plays world of warcraft online, along with some other online games I can't remember the names of. His machine has a 2000 vintage soundblaster Live! sound card in it and he is running xp pro. He currently has sound out of the speakers ok and can hear the other players in the game. He has one of those very small microphones that he has to hold up to his mouth for the others in the game to hear him. This is all a bit awkward while trying to play the game. I offered to duct tape one speaker to his left ear, and tape the mic to his cheek but he declined. ;)

He has two or three headsets for his xbox-live (I think they are called communicators). These are a single earphone with a boom mic. He would like to use his xbox headset with his pc games.

The sound card has a separate plug-in for the microphone (red) and one for the speaker lead (green). There is a black plug-in and a blue plug-in that are unused. I'm thinking that having individual outputs for the mic and speakers won't work too well with the xbox headset. In addition the xbox plug is smaller then the plug-in holes on the card.

So, do they make an adapter such that I could plug the xbox headset into the soundblaster card in any way, and have it work properly?

The card:
    [​IMG]

The plug:
    [​IMG]

2. NetNinja

NetNinja Always Faithful

Heck a headset with a mic only cost like $10.00 from any electronics store.
    Plantronics is the best. Just buy the one that cost less than $10.00.

Spending any more is wastefull.

3. fastvfr

fastvfr Ancient Tech

4. alex954

alex954

do what I did
    go to Frys or best buys
    and get a socom 2 headset logitech
    this is a USB headset so you just plg it into the USB port
    and works like a charm and sounds great
    I use it a lot for online gaming

5. Washington D.C.

Washington D.C.

Yeah even if somebody did make the proper adaptor,they can be expensive.

6. RaiderRodney

RaiderRodney Just Win Baby

I'll 2nd that...and he needs to be playing Star Wars Galaxies not WoW ;f

7. Wayne02

Wayne02

Well that didn't work so well. I just got back with one of these.

[​IMG]

Both the speakers and the mic that came with the machine work fine. So I unplugged them and plugged the leads from headset in the same holes (yes I had the mic one in the mic hole and headset one in the speaker hole). Nothing but static through the ear pieces of the headset...

Took the headset out to my shop and tried it on my old computer that has a similar type of sound card... the headset worked fine. Why is it that the speakers and the individual mic will work fine on his machine but this new headset will not?????

As far as the usb models go, don't you have to have usb output on your sound card to make it work? He has a couple usb ports but they are not on the sound card.

Wayne

8. alex954

alex954

hey Wayne
    if the computer youre having issues with have a USB port
    it will bypass and connect directly to your audio card
    you dont need to go into outputs of the card
    for example in my gaming rig I have logitech sorround sound
    sounds great i use it for games but I use 2 programs to communicate with my clan members
    we use TeamSpeak or Ventrilo basically is a voice server where we connect and we talk while we play, so we give out enemies locations,tactics,etc etc
    so once I launched the game that im playing i just minimize it plug the usb headset and turn on teamspeak or ventrilo
    that way I still have audio from the speakers for the game and I only have my clanmates on the headset
    the thing that I love about this headset is that only has 1 headset not both so I still listen perfectly to my speakers
    [​IMG]

9. Tvov

Tvov

Try posting this in Player's Club. May get some more responses.

10. Wayne02

Wayne02

Thanks Alex. His machine has one usb port on the front and two on the back. He is running win98 and I didn't know if it supported a usb connected sound peripheral like a headset. I don't think he runs any third party software for communication with the other guys he plays with. I think it is just done through the game itself?

Wayne

11. alex954

alex954

im not quite sure it is supported for win 98
    its been a long time since i had win 98 on any of my systems
    but you might wanna give it a try
    my point of using USB ports is that you dont mess with the connection of your sound card and you leave your speakers alone
    its basically a plug and play headset
    the headset brings his cd with drives
    you might wanna give it a try if it doesnt work return it or start thinking in updating that computer , specially if its being used for game purposes
    my 2 cents