Heads Up - They Shall Not Grow Old

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by 50 Cent, Sep 17, 2019.

1. ithaca_deerslayer

ithaca_deerslayer

Separate question, do you know when the interviews were recorded?
    Soon after WWI
    Just before WWII
    During WWII
    Just after WWII
    Just before the old soldiers died of old age?

I'm thinking what they would say might vary by those historical markers and what stage they were in with their own lives.

cyberghostx13 likes this.
  2. ChiefWPD

ChiefWPD

These were not interviews. The old film was watched by lip readers, who determined what was being said, and current military personnel from the areas the units were from were used as "voice-overs" for those in the hundred year old films.

3. ithaca_deerslayer

ithaca_deerslayer

I knowd dat.

That's why I said a different question :)

In the same movie, the whole time in the background, are WWI soldiers speaking about various aspects of their lives and the war.

All I've been able to find out thus far is that those are excerpts from interviews conducted by the BBC. But the question I have, that I'm now guessing nobody reading this thread will know, is: when were those interviews conducted?

4. cyberghostx13

cyberghostx13 USMC "The Few The Proud"

Man you sure got that right...totally treated as disposable warriors even when they made it back alive and were victorious. England should be extremely ashamed for the way they treated those kids, who came back with that 1000 yard stare in their eyes. They made them turn in their rifles, change back to "Civies" and then it was hit the door Jack and don't you come back no more.

Then after WWII was won and over, England screwed the Polish Pilots who fought gallantly for the RAF but were sent back to their country even tho their country was now run by "Commies", so the pilots were in deep sh** to say the least. Just a couple black eyes for merry ole England.

I understand for sure because as a Vietnam Veteran, when we came back and were basically shunned or even hated by so many "Americans", and the job market absolutely sucked. Finally the WWII VFW members almost overwhelmingly treated us as losers and third class citizens.

I remember very faintly a story about a wife of a returning Veteran absolutely reading the riot act to the VFW at a meeting of how bad her husband and others were treated when they showed up at their local VFWs. I went once and that was it. Needless to say I wasn't the only one, VFW membership took an absolute nosedive, and only that last few years have shown signs of recovery.

The ROMANS had it right, maybe the wars were very barbaric but if you survived and your time was up(However that worked) you got some pieces of gold and some land. Sayonara.

5. Gray Dood

Gray Dood

I watched a documentary about the making of this prior to its release.

The interviews were conducted from the 40s thru the 70s by both WW1 commemorative societies in Britain and the BBC. The narratives you hear are the actual soldiers in their later years.

The voices matching the film clips were dubbed by Peter Jackson's crew using lip readers to determine what the recorded were saying. Jackson took several years to not only restore the film ( much of which had deteriorated) but went so far as to recruit voice actors from the same geography as the units being dubbed so that regional accents matched.

As a reminder, this was originally a project of the BBC and the British government as a commemorative effort for the end of WW1. It was released in Britain and Europe well before it became available here.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2019
  6. ithaca_deerslayer

ithaca_deerslayer

Thanks!

Gray Dood likes this.
  7. mike from st pe

mike from st pe

VFW.jpg

My Grandmother sitting on the left of Father Coughlin at the dedication of the Maple Shade NJ VFW. A blind WWI veteran on the left.

8. 50 Cent

50 Cent

WWI STILL reasonates twith Britain today due to the magnitude of their losses.

9. Gray Dood

Gray Dood

That's true. Some towns lost their entire 17-25 year old male populations.

Hence the title.

WeeWilly likes this.
  10. Tomcat1977

Tomcat1977

Peter Jackson made one hell of a film I'll tell you that much. Its amazing to see and hear it as it actually was. To watch first hand an entire generation of European's die due to the greed and ignorance of monarchies and a few fanatics.

In 1914 Empire and nationalism was at its height and it was no problem selling a splendid little war to a bored bunch of 18yo's on all sides. Who knew it would turn into an Industrialized meat grinder that killed 20 m and then just as many from disease?

And left intact after was the trifecta's of Monarchy, Industry, and military along with punitive measures that made the next one only a matter of "when". That war was rotten to the core and after nobody listened to an American President at Versailles who warned that the next one was inevitable if these sanctions weren't adjusted.

Another important movie to watch was "All Quiet on the Western Front" which was a remarkable achievement in being made at all. Not only cause it saw the war thru the eye's of German soldiers, or that it had a huge realistic budget and production, but it showed the war as the waste it was.

mike from st pe likes this.
  11. OleFart

OleFart

The Brits are like that: In WW-II the Nazis surrendered on May 8, 1945, about 3 months later the Brits threw Winston Churchill out of office! If not for Churchill they all would be speaking German today!

12. Gray Dood

Gray Dood

Agree 100% about All Quiet on the Western Front. My wife and I rewatched it prior to going to see "Old" in the theater. She refused to watch parts of it.

Lewis Milestone was the Director, a WW1 vet himself. He knew exactly how to portray the horror. The scenes of trench warfare, running and fighting, then running and fighting more still are very powerful to this day imo.

Arms blown off, brutal hand to hand with daggers and shovels, and amazing film technique as the camera pans down the line to see the French mowed down by Maxim guns. IIRC, that shot was the first time a camera had ever been on a track system. And the madness of long artillery barrages too.

I could be wrong but I think he won an Academy Award back when it really meant something. I agree with you, THAT is a very powerful movie.

13. ithaca_deerslayer

ithaca_deerslayer

I like both the original and the Johnboy version of that.

Gray Dood and cyberghostx13 like this.
  14. WeeWilly

WeeWilly

When we went to the theatrical screening we picked the 3D version. Until this time around I thought I would have preferred 2D.

Now having watched both, I have to say, the 3D was better and worth the trouble. Not to take anything away from this effort at all, just that some of the closeups clearly were sharper and more realistic in 3D.

In the one we went to, we also got a post screening talk by Jackson on the genesis of the project, how they pulled it off, and a few chilling facts about the fate of many of the men in some of the scenes.

Anyone who enjoyed this HBO special and gets a chance to see the see it in 3D with the post screening talk bonus by Jackson, definitely take the opportunity, it was amazing.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2019
    J. Gambolputty and Gray Dood like this.
  15. Valmet

Valmet M62/76 Silver Member

Saw it twice on the big screen and really enjoyed it

16. 50 Cent

50 Cent

I remember reading the exchange Churchill had with his wife Sarah who said at the time his electoral loss was likely a blessing in disguise.

Churchill replied to that by saying the blessing was quite effectively disguised!

17. 50 Cent

50 Cent

Thanks for the tip .. I only saw the opening of that but will make every effort to watch it if it comes on again in the near future.

ithaca_deerslayer likes this.