close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Headline: Game show stampede: 74 dreams crushed

Discussion in 'Band of Glockers' started by riddler, Feb 4, 2006.

1. riddler

riddler

Discuss:

{snip}

Editor's Note: Published on page A1 of the February 5, 2006 issue of the Philippine Daily Inquirer

THEY came in the tens of thousands, some camping out for days, hoping fortune would favor the earliest to get in among them . All they wanted, each of them, was a stadium seat, a free raffle ticket, and a stroke of luck that could end a life of poverty.

Yesterday, the impatient buildup of dreams exploded into a mad, deadly rush.

Red Cross officials said 74 people who had come to watch the first anniversary presentation of the popular ABS-CBN noontime show "Wowowee" were crushed to death in an early morning stampede at the Philsports Arena (formerly Ultra) in Pasig City, a shocking spectacle many saw as a telling measure of the hard times.

About 500 others were injured, Red Cross officials said.

{snip}

I have seen the show when I hang out at a friend's house. It is indeed very appealing to the masa because of the "easy money" that can be won by those selected to be contestants.

But beneath the facade of happy faces, I could not help but raise some troubling questions:

1.) If this is a noontime show, what are the kids doing there? Shouldn't they be in school?

2.) The same goes to some of the adults in the audience, shouldn't they be at work,...or at least doing something to earn money? Is the mere chance of winning "easy money" enough motivation to wait in line for hours,....sometimes in vain because they don't get in the studio?

3.) I have heard that balikbayans and tourists get there tickets way ahead of time and goes through a different entrance. Why?? Is it because of their "contributions"? If they get their "airtime" or 15 seconds of fame, they really are not contributing anything, are they?

4.) One thing that really struck me was this part of the show where kids could answer questions for money. I like that part except the portion where such kids have to bleed out a tear or two just to look pitiful, hence earn more money. It is like they have been "programmed" to act and tell (what may or may not be true) their sad stories to earn a reward. What kind of morals are these kids being taught?

I am for anything that could help the less fortunate but if it means exploiting kids and promoting laziness, to heck with it.

And now this tragedy.....

I hope that people will realize that things need not be like this if they earn their keep instead of trying to win it.

:soap:

2. Eye Cutter

Eye Cutter

my own sentiments!

in the war for network ratings, this had to happen! sabi ng mga pulot boy namin sa tennis court, their neighbors wait in line overnight for a chance to get in the studio. they say that once you get inside, you will recieve cash and vouchers for groceries already and have a chance to win more. kaya pala ganun kadami pumipila. estoofid di ba?

3. akula

akula BizDuc NM Millennium Member

One of worst culture trait that was cultivated during the decays of the 70's was corruption and mendicancy. Because of proverty (or would I say laziness), people are relying on dole-outs, freebees and chances. Forgive me in saying these, but mountain folks tries to leave their fertile lands because there's more 'fun' and entertainment in the city. Media and materialism really fan this fervor. Most of them instead of tilling and creating vegie gardens, instead would resort to just listening and watching soap operas and combing for 'kutos'. It's our Bahala-na mentality that is fueling all the game show and lotto craze.

On the stampede, my heart bleeds when I see this tragedy on TV. Just to get a good winning chance, people had bet their lives for it. ABS-CBN is doing a fantastic 'damage-control' to their image. Bringing in the Big Guns and using their utmost media skill to disperse the effect of what the tragedy could do to their business empire. Not to be cynical, but taking the full responsibility, is actually the only way to go. You can't really blame the crowd since they had a long time to prepare.

4. horge

horge -=-=-=-=- Lifetime Member

A huge +1 on that, my man.

Sadly the latter is largely how the wealthy here GOT wealthy:

In times past, by winning the favor of Spanish aristocacracy, who in turn won the favor of Spanish royalty. More recently, by winning the favor of of a slightly-bewildered American colonial government, which handed out judgeships and government positions to lapdog families most of whom TO THIS DAY are in positions of power and wealth.

Winning the favor of those lattest bunch is the name of the game today.

Hard work still pays (I should know), and handsomely, but for so long as a short-cut to greater wealth is so blatantly on display (and not just on a TV show), the temptation to instead seek out its like will be there. Once in awhile I play the lotto *shrug*, although not during work hours.

5. riddler

riddler

I am sorry but I do not agree with you on this.

If you read up on the richest people in the Philippines now, they are descendants of Spanish aristocrats and priests. They did no favors to anyone. They went to as far as marrying upon themselves just so their wealth stays with them.

On the side note, this statement from the same article really was interesting,

{snip}

Oddly, though, the day's tragedy seemed to reveal something bizarre in the Filipino psyche: Instead of going home, thousands of Wowowee fans who made it to the stadium before the stampede decided to stay put, holding on to their tickets and their seats, still hoping the show would go on. {snip}

6. PMMA97

PMMA97 TagaBundok

The Filipino Channel subscribers abroad get their tickets ahead of others because they could email ABS-CBN informing them of their intention of watching Wowowee but they also must submit their TFC account numbers and information.

My prayer for those who died and suffered.

7. horge

:)

Winning favor vs. 'doing a favor'
    You just said what I was saying.

I seriously doubt you know more about
    Philippine history than I do, Paul,
    especially the history and origins
    of the bastard ruling class here.
    :)

8. riddler

riddler

I know that my statement slightly echoes yours. I just felt that I needed to emphasize the true gravity of such a situation. ;f ;f

I will not and never claim that I know more than somebody (Oh well, sometimes I do, just to irritate some who think they know it all ;)).

9. horge

My apologies.
    I just got back from attending Mass, and re-reading
    my last post... man but I sound like an arrogant little snot!
    Not what I intended at all, and I am sorry.

You know, many years ago my wife and I went to
    ULTRA to watch a Stevie Wonder concert, and the same thing
    nearly happened. We were at the gate a little too early,
    and then the crowd swelled within minutes.

The gate from Capt. H Javier Street was a grilled affair,
    was late in opening, and worse, for some reason was opened
    only slightly by the idiots manning it.

The crowd, anticipating the full opening of the gate,
    moved forward with relief, but the one-person-wide opening
    provided by the guards creted an impossible bottleneck.
    A woman was nearly crushed against the gate by the surge,
    and I was hard-put protecting mine.

Something similar nearly happened at the CCP (of all places)
    further back in time, when we caught the B.B.King/Ray Charles
    concert, albeit along one of the carpeted corridors inside,
    and on a much smaller (if better-heeled) scale.

h.

10. Allegra

Allegra

Mahirap din naman sumipsip ha :) there's an art to it
    Lahat naman ng former colonies ganyan
    When the colonizers brutalize the locals and keep them oppressed , nawawalan talaga ng hope ang mamamayan and ayun parang antay nalang sa dole outs ng nasa itaas at pati anak at apo ganun na rin mentality

11. isuzu

isuzu

Horge and Riddler,

You're both right. Lots of people got rich by getting favors from the church and the Spanish government during that time. They also inter-married so that their wealth would only revolve among themselves. Lots of old families did that in Negros and Panay. Usually first cousins marrying each other.

Because of proverty (or would I say laziness), people are relying on dole-outs, freebees and chances. Forgive me in saying these, but mountain folks tries to leave their fertile lands because there's more 'fun' and entertainment in the city

Akula,

Your observations are dead-on. Lots of people from our province sold their parcels of land just to go to Manila. They later found out that Manila is not for them. They end up being stuck in Manila because they have no property to go back to and till. This is when bigger problems arise. Poverty, which leads to crime, drugs, etc.

The TV networks are teaching the less-fortunate to be lazy and rely on false promises. I have a friend with the military who made a startling observation: Members of the third sex are almost always shown on their programs. He was questioning what values does it teach to the Filipinos especially the young.

Personally, I would hold the show's organizers responsible for what happened. They should be responsible of security/crowd control for their venues.

I wonder why there quite a number of stampedes that happened at ULTRA? Does design of the entrances play a factor in the stampedes that happened there, or is it just poor planning and security?

12. isuzu

isuzu

That's just teaching people to be lazy and rely on cash and grocery vouchers just for networks to fill their studios. People waste their day and line up at these studios instead of doing something productive.

13. toxic

toxic

Here's what i have to say.
    Lives has been lost , someone has to answer for this tragedy.
    its definetly poor planning, poor security, poor crowd control.

Its not poverty nor ignorance rather selfishness that drives people to put their faith in the wheel of fortune.
    lets put ourselves into these people shoes, im not gonna go there to spend my time in the heat and rain for nothing.im not gonna be there just to see sexy dancers or see TV personalities ..im there for the money.So i should have known what are the consequences of my actions.
    and TV networks capitalized those peoples weakness/es...Money..
    ULTRA, ABS-CBN and the people are all at fault here.

Whats done is done.
    * The victims needs to be compensated.
    * ULTRA needs to re design the entrance and has to answer in part.
    * ABS-CBN has to totally compensate the victims and re evaluate their game show scheme to prevent such tragedy from happening again.
    * Goverment needs to put up a policy, regulation about gameshow..if there is , it didnt work here. and if there's non they can think of something ..magagaling naman sila kaya sila nakapwesto hindi yung nagpapapicture lang at nagpapakita sa TV.

I pray for the lost souls and their family..specially the kids who were there accompanied by iresponsible adults.

14. riddler

riddler

I just got back in from a friend's house. While there, we watched ABS-CBN replays of the incident. A couple of observations:

1.) It seems that the Vice President was representing ABS-CBN more than the country in his address to the audience. I know that he was on their payroll for a long time but he should not have been there.

2.) I am still amazed at the reaction of the audience inside the ULTRA when the host of the show announced that the show was cancelled. Noli de Castro had to explain why it was the decent thing to do.

3.) Charo Santos had to assure the audience that their tickets will still be honored for when the show will be rescheduled.

15. RATRAT

RATRAT

We are sometimes blinded with things like this,coz we dont really know how to react..and we are puzzled by the circumstances ...we put weight on people being lazy and just rely on give aways and games of chance this networks offer to boost their ratings....but do we really know how this people feel?are we different from them??..maybe to them just seeing their favorite actors/actresses from a distance is the same joy we get from shooting target papers..maybe to them winning P5oo to P1000 is the same excitement we get when our 35,000 to 50,000 gun is finally released by FED....my point is lets not blame them for going there coz we really dont know why??....Surely someone have to answer for the people affected by all of this(ABS-CBN,ULTRA,ETC)...I just hope proper and just compensations are given to them..as soon as possible.

----------------------------

16. Ersatz0906

Ersatz0906

+1 pre, agree ko dyan

17. New_comer

New_comer

My sentiments exactly. Why focus on mendicancy when the true culprit is crowd control, or the lack of it. We've had boxing extravaganzas, Mega concerts, two papal visits, three EDSA's with millions in participation, yet not one was reported hurt due to stampede. Here's a case of a couple of thousands but all hell breaks loose. ;g

This could, and has happened in a lot of other events before. IIRC, ABSCBN's MTB had a similar stampede incident on their Pera o Bayong segment at QC 2 - 3 years ago. If the same clown was in charge then as the tragedy yesterday, the PNP sure has a case of criminal negligence due to repeated stupidity by the organizers. Send them all to the slammer!

/rant off/

18. riddler

riddler

I agree to some degree with your opinion. We could not possibly know what motivates these folks to stand in line for days, to bear the hunger, to hold on to their bladder, to expose themselves to the harsh elements of Mother Nature...etc...etc. People have been known to do crazier things for more petty rewards.

But to not consider money and the other prizes a motivation is callous and irresponsible. Look at the facts,

- any audience member can be picked to win prizes
    - grand prizes includes, a million pesos and a fully furnished house and lot
    - majority of the studio audience from past shows have been known to live in the slums or worse, were homeless.
    - **** I bet that none of the GT members were there :) ****

Yes, the management of ABS-CBN, ULTRA, the security company hired to maintain order and even the police must bear some of the responsibility for the tragedy.

I do however think that the crowd themselves must also share the blame. If they went home as soon as management told them that the ULTRA is up to capacity, no one would have died. But instead, they used brute force and mob mentality to push the gates open and hence killing those trapped between the gates and the onslaught.

In the end it all boils down to the crowd’s desire to get in the ULTRA (whatever their reasons may be). They must hold themselves responsible for their actions and lament on the fact that it caused death ...... and misery to the living.

There was once a thread on this forum about what "one will do if he is faced with a grave situation" (or something like that). To which most of you replied that a wise man will avoid such a situation instead of facing such.

Correlating this to the tragedy, if these people were not at the gates of the ULTRA, would they have died????? HELL NO!!! So this goes back to why they were there in the first place.

19. PMMA97

PMMA97 TagaBundok

I hope the ANC coverage of the Task Force Ultra investigations held yesterday at the DILG office sheds some light on this dark issue. I was in awe as I saw the DILG Under Secretary for Public Safety holding the meeting Live and in a Sunday. They were trying to find out what actually triggered the stampede and who was to blame.

Personally, after hearing the testimonies I find fault in all of the involved. But for me the trigger was the actual opening of the gate.

20. RATRAT

RATRAT

--------------
    Nice point Sir,but giving it a two way perspective will make it more clear..yes i agree that they are there to win this goods and cash prizes..which some or maybe all of them desperately need,ignoring their own safety and well being...... but how about us..we burn money on the range,on gears,on shootfest's,competitions etc.. merely because we love it and we enjoy it and nothing will replace the feeling we get out of it but we all know theres always a danger of getting hit by a stray bullet and we all know this accidents always happen and sometimes it could be fatal....but does that stop us from going there , enjoying the sport/hobby ???!!! going back to your post >> ""There was once a thread on this forum about what "one will do if he is faced with a grave situation" (or something like that). To which most of you replied that a wise man will avoid such a situation instead of facing such""<< so, does this means all of us are "unwise"??!!and just change hobby because of the danger!!........And thats just my point sir,we really dont know and will never understand what motivates them as much as other people will never understand why were into this expensive and dangerous sport....as for me I cant really put a blame on them esp the dead ones..coz i really dont understand and as much as i want to comprehend the absurdity of it all I cant! and I just hope time will not be wasted on passing the buck,investigations and pointing fingers...I just hope they be given conpensations and that the "guilty parties" be answerable to the Law of the land covering this kind of accidents../Good day Sir!