Headlights on your car oxidized?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by svtpwnz, Feb 3, 2013.

1. svtpwnz

svtpwnz

I have tried several different products for this problem and not one of them performed like advertised. I recently decided to try another product recommended by a friend and WOW! this actually worked and better than I expected. I do not work for this comany or make anything for promoting it. I just want to let you folks know what works and not waste your cash on crap that doesnt.

I tried it on 3 of our work vehicles and the results were fantastic for all 3. The kit is about $25-$30 and attaches to you power drill. Follow instructions closely and this is the result.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And this is the kit. I think Ipaid $26 for it at O'Riley's. It is certainly better than the $3-400 for each new lense.

[​IMG]

2. svtpwnz

svtpwnz

Here is another set I did.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. Joshhtn

Joshhtn The eBay Guy Gold Member

Toothpaste and a cloth. Works everytime.

Looks like a good kit though!

4. paynter2

paynter2 It ain't over Millennium Member

Thanks for posting that information. My lenses are getting a little cloudy - one is worse than the other. I hit a deer last summer and had to get a used headlight assembly - it was newer than the original one.

I have been planning to use something to 'repair' them - as soon as spring comes to the Northland. I'll give this product a try. :wavey:

5. svtpwnz

svtpwnz

Never heard of that trick. How well does it work?

:thumbsup: Just follow the instructions very closely and the wet sanding phase is what I found to be the more important one. I spent a little more time than instructed and the results were great. Just make sure you put the hood up and apply several layers of 3M blue painters tape to painted surfaces near the lense so that the sander doesn't eat into it.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2013
  6. Knighj1

Knighj1

There are really 2 issues. They will never look like they are new again(or like a commercial depicts), bc you have haze on the outside and haze on the inside(from a leaky light that build moisture then haze). Short or replacing them, they will never look new again, but can certainly look better.
    Nice work

7. Caver 60

Caver 60

Yes that's a good kit.

Be sure to follow the instructions carefully.

And don't be afraid to do plenty of grinding with the first disc, just like the instructions say. And be sure to go all the way out as far as possible to the edges of the light. The headlights will look worse, before they look better.

Also be sure to masks off the paint area surrounding the headlights like the instructions say, or you will have damaged finish.

ETA As said in a post above, if you've got water leaking in them, you're kind of out of luck. But if they're in good condition inside, then the results can be dramatic.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2013
  8. Joshhtn

Joshhtn The eBay Guy Gold Member

It works very well... With one draw back- You have to re-do it every 6 months or so (depending).

9. svtpwnz

svtpwnz

Correct. It will not fix a lese that has a leak damaging the inside of the lense. You sand the oxidized surface off the outside of the lense and then polish it back up.

10. Caver 60

Caver 60

I've got one light that I did about 4 years ago when I damaged a headlight and had to buy a new one. The repaired one on the other side still looks about as good as the new one. And I've done nothing else to it. Of course I keep my vehicles garaged, except when driving them. Don't know if that makes a difference.

11. method

method

You're not really showing results, being as that you're showing one lens in the 'before' pics and another in the 'after'.

12. svtpwnz

svtpwnz

The lenses that were done looked the same as the oxidized lenses pictured before I used the kit.

13. MLM

MLM

I hear-tell there are kits out there that after you finish polishing the lens you apply a sealer to the lens so it doesn't cloud over again, or at least, not for a good while.
    Anybody ever hear of such a kit?

14. klt1986

klt1986

Is there anything that can be used to prevent new headlights from hazing?

15. Lee-online

Lee-online Mul-ti-pass

I used that kit on my f150 a few years ago and it did work. All you are doing is wet sanding the oxidized lens down to clean plastic and then polishing it. After a year it had turned yellow again so I re did it. It too only lasted a year so i replaced the lights with new aftermarket one off ebay.

16. brboyer

brboyer

Then why not just show the same lens? Otherwise it looks like a typical BS bait and switch scam!

17. JDennis

JDennis

That looks like a good product! I always used a good cleaner wax like malco's rejuvenator. Been using it for years and works fantastic.

18. carloglock19

carloglock19

I used Meguiar's heavy duty restoration kit with same results. It's been almost 8 months and the headlights still look the same. The kit I used actually has you wet sand the lens with 2 different grit sandpaper and then high speed buff. I was really surprised at how well it worked for under $20. I've seen the toothpaste trick on YouTube (skeptical).

19. carloglock19

carloglock19

The kit that I bought came with headlight protectant that I rub on after I wash the car and it works really well.

20. Keoking

Keoking

This could be faked too easily, as well. I demand to see a continuous video clip of you polishing a lens, and the camera had better not pan away from the car for even 1 second!! :tongueout: