close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Headlamp Recommendations...

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Lampshade, Apr 29, 2012.

1. Lampshade

Lampshade

GT Braintrust, I come to you looking for a headlamp.

I am looking for an LED headlamp that takes AA or AAA batteries. Maximum Runtime and minimal size and weight are a must, these take priority over output. No battery packs hanging off the back.

Don't let me down!

2. G27_Jose

G27_Jose

I've had a few of the Streamlight Argo LED lights. Cheap and dependable. I would recommend a CR123 powered light though, just invest in some rechargeables. Much brighter with a longer run time. I have one that runs off of 3AAA's but it can't compare to the CR123 powered lights.

3. Deanster

Deanster Cheese? CLM Millennium Member

I have a couple headlamps that I like.

The Princeton Tec 'Byte' headlamp is tiny, powerful, and runs on 2x AAA in the headlamp. I've heard runtimes on rechargeables is so-so, but it's been surprisingly good for me on duracells, given the output involved. It's ~$20 or so, so it's not too painful if lost/damaged. By far the best out there for the price.

I have a Petzl Tikka Plus 2 that's great, good output on the white and red LED. $40, and not worth twice what the Byte is, but a very good headlamp overall. Probably what I'd recommend as the 'no-brainer' buy.

Finally, the headlamp I like by FAR the most is my Petzl Myo XP. Killer light, killer throw, killer range of brightness, it has a built-in flip-up diffuser which makes actually using the headlamp for a wide variety of tasks about a million times more pleasant. Lasts forever on 3x AA lithiums, which are separate from the lamp, but mounted on the back of the headband. Not sure if that would count as 'battery packs hanging off the back' for you. $70-80, but it's the headlamp I'd grab first if I was actually needing a headlamp for just about anything.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2012
  4. Knife_Geek

Knife_Geek

Look at any of the h series zebralights. 6 easy to access levels everything from high output low runtime to super long runtimes with low low outputs

5. snewsoG22

snewsoG22 ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

6. goldenlight

goldenlight

This, FTW.

7. stevelyn

stevelyn NRA Life Member

I have a couple. One is a Princeton-Tec H2O the other a Black Diamond Spot.

The Princeton-Tec has a single LED with hi, med and lo setting plus a strobe feature. On high it throws out about 60 lumens. It probably gets the most general use.

The Black Diamond has a main LED spotlight that throws about 80 lumens on high, and adjusts like a rheostat by holding down the switch to the desired lighting level. It also has 4 smaller LEDs that provide close up area lighting when you don't need to reach out very far. It also has a pair of red LEDs preserve night vision. I use this one mostly on the trapline and when hunting. I got one for a friend as a Christmas present and he's whacked wolves caught in traps out at about 60 yrds while using it.

Both are powered by 3 AAA batteries in the headlamp assembly itself. Due to the cold weather I use mostly lithium AAAs to maintain peak light levels.

One of my buds also has a Cabela's XPG that I would also recommend and will probably get for myself.

8. Knife_Geek

Knife_Geek

Just thought I would pop back in to add I carry a sc51 (straight) in my left front pocket with a h51f(angeled) living in my maxpedition fatboy. 2 double AA eneloop batteries gives me everything from 200 lumens for almost 2 hours to almost a month straight at .2 lumens. For the headlamp I do recommend the "f" (flood) version to help eliminate the bouncing spot syndrome you can get from too tight a beam on a headlamp.

9. GreenDrake

GreenDrake Rip Lips

Mammut lights are awesome.

10. NailShooter

NailShooter

The Tikka is a great headlamp. I use my flashlight to "fight my way" to my Tikka during a power outage. Once you get it on you don't even notice that it's there. Regards,

Nail

11. Dexters

Dexters

and it takes all 3 types of batteries.

That should be part of anyone's criteria.