close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Headin to South Dakota.

Discussion in 'Hunting, Fishing & Camping' started by Esox357, Jul 8, 2003.

1. Esox357

Esox357

Well guys just go the all clear to head up to South Dakota for a 5 day trip to fish, hike, and horse back ride, not to metion get in some sight seeing. Anyone heard how the fishing is this time of year? I was going to go to Spearfish Lake? Any suggestions on what flies to use or tye? Also any notable sights to see. I thought about Custer State Park, Deadwood ect. Thanks Esox357

2. Penman

Penman Goauche User

If you're going up through the Hot Springs area, there's a mammoth museum and dig right next to the town. Worth an hour or two.

3. TriMode

TriMode Cranky Member

Hey! You got to go to the Reptile Gardens outside of Rapid City. I was just there on the Fourth. It was awesome, they have a display called death row, the world's most venomous snakes. Also You can't go wrong with seeing Mt. Rushmore.

4. Esox357

Esox357

Thanks guys, I will be staying outside of Deadwood and plan to get in a lot of fishing and sight seeing. Any flies you could suggest I tye or buy before I go? I am going with the humpheys, royal coachmans, and a few nymphs. Esox357

5. isp2605

isp2605

Just came back from Deadwood mid-June. Had a good time in the area. Stayed in a campground between Deadwood and Lead. Didn't do any fishing. 385 south out of Deadwood is closed, under construction. They run you off on a gravel county road for several miles. Watch out for the deer. They're everywhere.
    The crowds weren't too bad when we were there but I imagine by now they'll be picking up.
    BTW, if you're interested, we were told by a local the Tin Lizzy has the loosest slots. I wouldn't know. We grabbed their $2 lunch buffet one day and the wife won $15 in the nickle slots on the 3rd pull. That was the extent of our gambling.

6. Trap kid

Trap kid packers rule

You got to go to reptile gardens and wall drug just west of rapid city before anything else. If you want my advice though for fishing use a small hook with a worm hooked through the middle, the more naturale it looks the better, and just slowly drag it through the water. And if you can, try to shoot some prarie dogs, thats true fun.

7. Esox357

Esox357

Thanks for the info, do I need a hunting license or a varmit type license to shoot p dogs in SD? Off the top of anyones head, do you know the cost and can I find land to shoot on. I would love to take a day to do that if possible. Thanks Again Esox357

8. pesticidal

pesticidal Eh? CLM

Have you got reservations made anywhere? The big bike rally is coming up, and you'll be hard pressed to find any place to stay. People are even renting out their front yards to campers...

9. Esox357

Esox357

Pesticidal, we already made reservations and just wanted some info on the area, it has been several years since I have been there. Supposedly there is going to be a porche ralley? Anyhow look forward to fishing and maybe some p dog shooting? Esox357

10. pesticidal

pesticidal Eh? CLM

Not sure about a Porsche rally, but I think there's an annual Corvette rally down there, too.

Have you tried this site?

http://www.blackhills.com/

11. Esox357

Esox357

Got back from the Hills and had an enjoyable time. It seemed that tourism was down from the past years. I spoke with a waitress and she said it was a bad year! Tried fishing several creeks up their with not much success. The fish were there, but very wary and heavily fished. The water levels were well below normal and clear. The cast would cause the fish to scurry upstream. The brook trout were almost impossible to catch. I did manage to go to Deerfield lake and catch several 7-9 inch rainbow trout on one evening. On returning the next evening I had two hits and that was it. I was disappointed at the size of the fish. I then jumped over to Wyoming side to fish Sand Creek and had no luck, although the water levels were a little better. I did happen to catch my first brown trout. I ate alot and saw many deer. Take Care Esox357

12. lunde

lunde

I realize that it's too late as you already went on your trip, but I can answer questions about prairie dog hunting. SD requires a varmint/predator license, which is $35 per year for non-residents. Wyoming does not require a license.

I am flying to SD in a couple of weeks to hunt prairie dogs with my dad, in the Hot Springs area. My dad is driving there from Wisconsin. The public lands are now open for prairie dog hunting. When they're not open, you need to find private land, and ask for permission. Without fail, if a farmer or rancher has horses or cows on his property, he'll remind you not to shoot them. ;g

The last time I went to SD for this was in early May. I got about 200 prairie dogs with my Remington 700 VS SF in .223. A ranch/farm close to Edgemont had a huge prairie dog town, almost like a metropolis. I ran out of ammo, and had to drive to Rapid City to pick up more Black Hills 50gr V-Max from First Stop Guns.

13. Esox357

Esox357

Thanks on the info Lunde, maybe next year I will get to try a prairie dog town up there? Esox357