close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

He has never left his state...

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by airmotive, Dec 3, 2012.

1. airmotive

airmotive Tin Kicker

Met a guy at Atlanta airport last week. He picked me at random to ask where a gate was. Nice enough guy...probably late 50s. (I suck at guessing ages on black folks...so give or take 20 years). Anyway, he went on to tell me this was his first time flying...and first time ever leaving the state of Georgia. Going to Detroit for a family reunion. He was excited about the trip and went on and on for a while....like a kid going on his first trip to Disney.

Man...what an effed up opinion to be left with on America. The only parts you've seen in 50 years is Atlanta...and when you finally get to see what's outside Atlanta, you go to Detroit.

Maybe he'll have a connection in Memphis on the way home.

Anyone else here never been across state lines or know someone like that?

2. jtmac

jtmac Señor Member

I know a man who, by his 50s, had been all over the US, but had never had a meal at a restaurant that wasn't a hamburger. His home cooked meals growing up hadn't had much variety, either. He married, and his well-traveled wife fixed that.

He has another decade and a half on him now and he's eaten many different things... but if you ask him where he wants to go eat, he'll pick Wendy's. He's not big on anything that's not beef and potatoes, either. I met him when we were on our way to Peru, where he bravely spent a month eating new things. I have no doubt that their first meal back home was at Wendy's. :)

3. janice6

janice6 Silver Member

When I was dating my wife, she had never been out of her hometown. When we got married in Charleston, SC, it was the first time she had been on an airplane and out of the state.

4. kiole

kiole

My friend is in the army and went to airborne school. One of the guys in his group had never been in an airplane before jumping. The kid did 6 + jumps. I still don't think he has ever landed in an airplane.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2012
  5. Butcher

Butcher NRA Life Member

My girlfriend is very well travelled and cooks all sorts of ethnic foods for me, but can't stand the smell of seafood. We live near a port city where crabs are a big deal and there are a ton of delicious sushi restaurants... my mom's family is all Peruvian so we were raised on seafood. We're surrounded by great seafood, but I can't get her to eat any

She's not allergic, just doesn't like the smell. Never understood people who close themselves off to a part of the world!

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

6. Batesmotel

Batesmotel

In 85 I met a guy in Summerville Tennessee who had never left the state. The farthest he had ever gone was to Memphis when the draft board picked his number for WWII. He failed the physical. Went back to the farm and never left.

7. cgwahl

cgwahl Sheriffs a near

I've heard in some of the poorer neighborhoods in cities, it's not unheard of to occasionally find someone that never really went beyond a 10 or 15 mile radius of where they live.

8. SmokeRoss

SmokeRoss GTDS Member #49

It always amazes me to talk to people near where I live only to discover they have never been more than 10 miles north of Soldotna. They have made many trips to Anchorage though.

9. janice6

janice6 Silver Member

I respond to seafood the way your girlfriend does.

I figure it is better to close yourself off to a part of the world, rather than fill it with vomit.

I cannot stand the smell or taste.

10. PVolk

PVolk

LOL. You're right though.

At least he won't think Detroit is as bad as we do, with him already being used to Atlanta.

11. Gallium

Gallium CLM

There was a guy I knew, who at the age of 30 had never had a driver license...or left the island.

When I met him was was likewise 30, and had been to many places all over the globe.

He is the 1st 30yr old I ever met that had never left the island, and when he did, the 1st place he went to was Liberty State Park, NJ for a gig.

It was his 1st time seeing the New York City skyline OUTSIDE of NYC.

Yep, 30 years old and he had never left the island of Manhattan.

12. Never Nervous

Never Nervous

I was going to say Georgia until I saw you said Atlanta.:rofl: Yeah, I have played golf with a few people like that from here, both black and white. Couldn't believe it at first.

NN

13. Never Nervous

Never Nervous

Seen this also here. A 22 year old kid came to work for us as a driver. We are on the west side of Atlanta. Well, we found out that he had never been on the east, north or south side of Atlanta ever. That didn't work. He's a painter now.:supergrin:

NN

14. cowboywannabe

cowboywannabe you savvy?

if it werent for the state pen most of the folks i come in contact with wouldnt go 50 miles from their home town.

15. ithaca_deerslayer

ithaca_deerslayer

My mom never had bleu cheese until she was in her 70's.

My wife made dinner, and put it in her salad. "What's this stuff, I like it."

She also grew up in a house that had an outhouse, no bathroom inside. She went to a 1 room school house, that also only had an outhouse. That was until 8th grade.

16. cgwahl

cgwahl Sheriffs a near

Going to go out on a limb and say she hated it when the Sears catalog started using glossy paper.

17. Hef

Hef Stop Obammunism

I've had times when I would go for months without leaving the island, but I've got nothing on that guy.

18. deputy tom

deputy tom

I know a guy that hasn't been more than twenty miles away from his home. He is in his late fifties. He drives a delivery truck (pick-up) and has never driven on an Interstate road.I feel bad for him but ignorance is bliss or so they say.tom.

19. tantrix

tantrix J'aimeLouisiane

I've been across state lines a few times, but I doubt I ever will again in the future.

20. NMG26

NMG26

Now that is funny.

:rofl: