close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

HDTV lost one of my over the air channels?!?!

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by mike7465, Mar 8, 2010.

1. mike7465

mike7465 Smirking

Ok, so I don't pay for HD cable. I have standard cable, and I only get HD over the air. One of my HD channels seems to have dropped, and another seems to be sort of hit or miss. Anyone know why this would have started all the sudden? The other over the air HD channels are fine.

As a side note, I seem to get a few digital TV channels.

Time warner cable if that matters...

Last edited: Mar 8, 2010
  2. Swiper

Swiper

Have you had done automatic rescanning of all channels to see if it comes back?

3. mike7465

mike7465 Smirking

Yea, redid it.
    No joy. I think the signal is too week.

4. tylernt

tylernt Special Member

One of your antenna's connections may have suffered one last freeze/thaw cycle that finally degraded the signal quality enough to drop the channel. Time to get a ladder and go over everything from the antenna down, replacing any connectors that show moisture inside them.

5. mike7465

mike7465 Smirking

I don't have an outside antenna. Just hooked up to standard cable...

6. Jdog

Jdog

that happened to me also. I lost CBS in high def.. A couple days later i did a complete rescan on both cable and air (waited a long time).. and it finally came back

7. tylernt

tylernt Special Member

So, you have an indoor antenna? If so, sounds like it's time to move it. The position of various metallic objects in your home can lead to multipath, which causes signal degradation. Usually moving the antenna a few feet in any direction will clear things up.

Also any new electronic devices you installed recently could be causing interference. So you could go around the house and turn every single electronic gadget off except your TV, to see if that makes any difference.

8. havensal

havensal Getting older every day! CLM

Same thing here. I lost most of my OTA HD channels. :dunno: I still get all of the crappy music channels. :upeyes:

Time Warner also.

9. Adjuster

Adjuster

Post is confusing. If you are not paying for HD cable then the only way to get HD channels is over the air by antenna. If you live in a metropolitan area there should be several OTA HD channels in multiple languages. If possible get an antenna up on the roof. If not possible such as in an apartment get an antenna in a window and/or as high up the wall as you can. Obviously you have an HD tv or we wouldn't be having this discussion. Somewhere on your remote should be an 'info' button. Press the button to see what resolution signal you are receiving per channel. 480, 720 or 1080. Standard low resolution tv is 480. Anything higher is HD. Here are some good examples. Read all the reviews.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias=aps&field-keywords=hd+antenna&x=0&y=0

10. Swiper

Swiper

With Time Warner you get the local over-the-air HD channels for free. No cable box needed. At least it works like that in my area.

11. mike7465

mike7465 Smirking

I get the HD channels over the air, but I don't have an atenna hooked up. I just have my non digital non hd cable hooked up and the HD channels used the cable as an atenna. I guess the HD reciever in my TV uses the cable as an atena to pull in HD signals..

Sorry I wasn't clear...

12. Adjuster

Adjuster

This is interesting. I am not familiar with either of these methods. I live in a condo complex with free satellite DirecTV. We can upgrade to HDTV for a fee. With an antenna I get several HDTV channels OTA.

13. tylernt

tylernt Special Member

Hm, I would not expect that to work very well... as you seem to have confirmed. :supergrin: Go buy an antenna and all should be right with the world!

14. havensal

A QAM tuner can decode the non-encrypted digital channels that are broadcast via cable. HBO and the like are encrypted, but network and music channels and the like are not. :wavey:

15. mike7465

mike7465 Smirking

This seems relivant to my interest....Got a recommendation?

16. harlenm

harlenm Millennium Member

That's what I was gonna say, sounds like he is using a QAM to get HD. Might want to call TWC and ask them about it. Maybe a problem on their end. And BTW, this is not OTA, that refers to using an external
    antenna to get your channels.

17. havensal

When I bought my TV's I made sure they each had NTSC, ATSC, and QAM.

I don't know if they make a standalone QAM tuner box. :dunno:

18. *ASH*

*ASH* FURBANITE

maybe its the fight over money , the cable systems are fighting over revenue and i think i read where they blacked out the oscars last night . so i heard. all my tvs got the qam tuners and pick up about 20 stations .

19. Elmer Fudd

Elmer Fudd

Coaxial cable is shielded to prevent outside signals (like OTA - over the air - television signals) from interfering with the signal being carried in the cable. It is about the worst thing you could use for an antenna. Even a set top antenna would work much better.

20. Jdog

Jdog

no it's not.

I get HD channels w/out a indoor or outdoor HD antenna.... just like the original poster i have regular "non-HD" cheap cable also. You just have to do a channel scan and the free HD ones all come in.