HDMI over Ethernet?

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by TX OMFS, May 15, 2018.

1. TX OMFS

TX OMFS Right wing nut Lifetime Member

As I've said before, I'm remodeling my office. Each patient room is about 11' x 11' and will have a computer with monitor and a separate TV mounted on the wall. The TV will have a television connection and an ethernet cat6a cable running back to my switch.

What is the best way to use the TV as a second monitor? A traditional 30'-ish long HDMI cable or using HDMI over ethernet? If I use HDMI over ethernet would I need a cat6a run directly from the computer to the TV or can I use the cat6a coming from the switch? I assume I cannot send a LAN signal and HDMI signal over the same cat6a cable.

I'm looking for ease of cabling (ethernet cable being easier to pull than terminated HDMI), reliability, and signal quality.

Thanks!

Sometime in the future I would like to use a tablet and the TV, completely eliminating the work station in the room. Dunno when I'll make that jump.

2. Simi_gun_guy

Simi_gun_guy

Get an active HDMI cable. 30’ is too long for reliable quality, especially if you ever hope to do 4K/uhd.

Ed

TX OMFS likes this.

3. marksb101

marksb101

HDMI extenders are available over ethernet, would most likely require cat5e or 6. Depending on the amount of offices you are trying to setup, it may require an HDMI distribution amplifier and receivers.Extron* and black box make several models, Extron* is a little more pricey, but are designed for professional use.

quasii likes this.
  4. techiej

techiej

Is Miracast an option for you to use? It would avoid any cabling to the TV if all you are doing is using it as a second monitor.

5. Char

Char

If you're doing a lot of wiring try these guys https://www.monoprice.com/ They are great to work with and are very knowledgeable. BTW if you use DirecTV you can't use anything but HDMI.

6. fgutie35

fgutie35

Active HDMI will be your best solution. A 30ft cable seems a bit long for a 11x11 room though. I'm guessing if PC is at chest height like the average patient room, then you will have about 5ft to the grid, another foot for insulation slack, about 8ft to any corner and another 3ft from ceiling grid to TV. A total of 17ft give or take. anything below 15ft, you can get away with a regular HDMI. anything above, you need an active HDMI to compensate for signal loss.

7. Lord

Lord Senior Member

I've run HDMI cables long distances without noticeable loss. in fact, I ran one in our conference room from the TV to the media center on an adjacent wall. Run distance is about 22 feet, but I put a 30' cable there for svce loop etc. It works, no loss.

8. quasii

quasii

Good advice here... 30ft is pushing it for HDMI, but not for Ethernet and you could easily use the cheaper CAT5e... If you have several units, Ethernet will most likely be the most economical.