HD Tranny oil ??????

Discussion in 'Moto Club' started by Lowrider 49, May 6, 2007.

1. Lowrider 49

Lowrider 49 Guest

This is high on the dumb ***** scale, but I must ask for help...how do you refill the transmission on a 2003 Twin Cam 5 speed transmission??

The bike has been to the dealer for the first two changes and now I'm changing oil myself. It was real easy to find the drain plug and empty the old oil, but I can't find a way to refill it. I tried the clutch case dip stick thinking it is connected to the sump in the tranny, but apparently it is not since I have overfilled that space and nothing is getting to the transmission.

Any help would be appreciated!!!

2. whogasak47

whogasak47 JPFO-GOA

it is that Big Allen screw on top of transmission about 1/4 inch. .Warning: Do Not Overfill. Good Luck and Ride Safe:thumbsup:

3. Lowrider 49

Lowrider 49 Guest

Thanks Whogasak47....but....

I found the one on top of the clutch housing on the right side of the transmission with a dip stick, but it does not feed any oil into the primary chain side of the transmission. There just isn't another fill point on the left side over the primary. The only other thing I can think to do is pull the cover plate off and put oil in there...at least until it touches the chain and sproket.

Any other ideas??

4. jtull7

jtull7 Pistolero CLM

I don't think I'd be telling people that I was consorting with trannys, much less oiled ones.

5. whogasak47

whogasak47 JPFO-GOA

On The Primary side Open the inspection cover( 5"chrome circle) , fill to bottom of clutch plates (where cork meets metal). It uses a "special oil" too.
    Good Luck and Ride Safe:thumbsup:

6. whogasak47

whogasak47 JPFO-GOA

Bookmark this site, Better info than the dealer BY far.
    Good Luck and Ride Safe:thumbsup:

http://www.harleychatgroup.com/index.php?name=News&file=article&sid=79&mode=thread&order=0&thold=-1

7. Lowrider 49

Lowrider 49 Guest

whogasak47

Ya did good!!!

I used a marinade injector to put 20 ounces of oil into the primary case....which is what it is supposed to take. It is not quite up to the plates so I think I may put a little more in there. It's real simple when you know what you are doing!!

I'm using Amsoil 20W50 which is supposed to be as good as HD Syn 3. I put it into my Victory last year and found the transmission shifted a lot easier and was quieter too, so I'm trying it in the Twin Cam. My son runs it in his Ironhead too and likes it.

I really appreciate your info and efforts on my behalf!!

Ride safe!!

8. whogasak47

whogasak47 JPFO-GOA

We are all riding in the same wind.I can't count high enough for all the people (scooter riders)that have helped me. Good Luck and Ride safe:thumbsup:

9. HollowHead

HollowHead Firm member

The transmission takes 24 oz. of 80/90 Hypoid gear oil. HH

10. codivecop

codivecop

or Syn3 (or equivalent) AMSOIL is now sold at the dealership

11. HollowHead

HollowHead Firm member

I would strongly advise against using Syn3 or any 20W motor oil in an HD transmission. It's just not heavy enough to match the 80/90 that they have recommended for the last twenty-five years. It was a failed gimmick to sell a "one lube for all three holes" and you'll notice that it's no longer front and center in any dealership's display of lubricants. Besides, it's made by CITGO which is owned by our favorite Communist Hugo Chavez. HH

12. Lowrider 49

Lowrider 49 Guest

HH,

You could be right...I'll find out. I ran Amsoil synthetic 20W50 in a Bandit, Buell, Ironhead and Victory for a total of about 15K miles last year and it seems to work great...better than dino oil. Engines ran cooler, transmission was quieter and at oil change time there was very little metal on the drain plug magnet....which was NOT the case with the Harley primary. I had HD Syn 3 in the Twin Cam last year and it came out pretty clean too.

I'm running it in my cars and truck too and it is doing fine. The only vehicles I don't use synthetic oil is my airplane since it is not approved and my 1949 CJ2A and a 1970 Cutlass. I'm even using it in the tractors.

I think it is magic!!!

13. clark g

clark g Guest

When filling the primary,I have found it easier to add the fluid through the inspection port(32oz in my RK)The quad ring on the derby cover can be a real PITA to install correctly.
    BTW,I use 15w50 Mobil 1 in the engine,78w140 Mobil 1 in the transmission,and 20w50 H-D dino oil in the primary.This has worked well here in Florida-YMMV.
    Clark

14. codivecop

codivecop

So they misinformed me??????

Good thing I didn't follow that tidbit of info