HD Cooling

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by aspartz, Mar 20, 2007.

1. aspartz

aspartz

My server raid HDDs are overheating now. All four of them. I pulled the cover off the case and now have a house fan cooling them. I am looking at a more "permanent" solution. I am deciding between simple heat sinks and fans mounted to the individual drives or going nuts and water cooling the drives (or the entire system). Nothing is over clocked, just a simple PIII dual processor MB w/ on board video. All this box does is sit and be my FW and server (Linux of course)

Does any one have experience w/ the add on fans? Do they actually work?

I realize I need more case cooling, otherwise all I would be doing is moving the heat in a big circle insie the case.

ARS

2. Tennessee Slim

Tennessee Slim Señor Member CLM

When you say they’re overheating, I take you to mean they’re exceeding a predetermined temperature. If so, have you compared this number to the manufacturer’s published environmental limitations? Some HDDs naturally will run hotter and not suffer for it.

Then again, if it’s only overheating by, say, 10°C, that might shorten the lifespan of your HDD but isn’t likely to cause an immediate failure. And if you’re an avid computer user, you probably upgrade your HDDs long before they’ve reached MTBF anyway.

I’ve never known HDDs in a reasonably ventilated case and with reasonable “breathing room” to run excessively hot for no good reason. My first recommendation is to confirm that your alarm temp isn’t set too low.

3. aspartz

aspartz

Too hot: So hot that the drives started having data errors and dropping out of the RAID. IIRC hddtemp was seeing 140F

ARS

4. chbix

chbix Guest

Ive also never heard of HDD overheating, that being said i have a HDD fan running on my SATA drive, and mines just a single drive in a home PC, i am a bit of a cooling freak, but havent yet made the jump to water cooling since i dont like to overclock.

This is what I have

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1457115&CatId=495

just not as cool as that.

I would first look at the design of the case. Some are better designed for air flow than others.

just some ideas.

5. Tennessee Slim

Tennessee Slim Señor Member CLM

The factory spec sheet on my Hitachi Desk Stars says their max ambient temp is 60°C, which is 140°F. That’s the ambient temperature, not the disk’s operating temperature (which obviously will be substantially higher).

Environmental characteristics
    Operating
    Ambient temperature 0° to 60°C
    Relative humidity (non-condensing) 8% to 90%
    Shock (half sine wave, 2ms) 55G
    Vibration (random (RMS) 0.67G for horizontal
    0.67G for vertical

Non-operating
    Ambient temperature -40° to 65° C
    Relative humidity (non-condensing) 5% to 95%
    Shock (half sine wave, 2ms) 300G
    Vibration (random (RMS) 1.04G rms (XYZ)
    RoHS compliant5 Yes

6. HAVOC

HAVOC Guest

Are they big 10k or 15k SCSI drives? Never had a HDD temp problem to my knowledge. Are you SURE it's the drives and not the southbridge or controller card? The big fan blowing in will solve that problem, too. Most HDD cooling kits are just a fan of some sort, but at one point I did buy one that went in a 5.25 bay, had 40mm fans in front and a sizable heatsink touching the drive. I never had heat problems with that drive, but the same can be said of every drive I've ever owned, so....

The box I just built has a Raptor and a couple of 80s in a RAID0, but the case has 2 92mm fans mounted right in front of them. Even the 10k Raptor stays cool to the touch. Not sure what your case configuration is, but with minimal airflow over the drive chassis, it has more than enough heatsink area built in to be fine, so long as you aren't running it in a toaster oven.

7. aspartz

aspartz

These are Seagate 160's. Same operating range as the raptor. Mine had exceeded the 60C, that much I remember. W/o the fan they get very hot to the touch.

I am using the world's cheapest case, so airflow sucks and the only fan is the PS one. Maybe a case fan would be enough.

ARS

8. HAVOC

HAVOC Guest

It should be. See if you can get the fan mounted so it draws fresh air and blows it right over the drives. You may need to do some surgery on the case to manage this.

Being "only" 7200rpm, they aren't making the same heat as the Raptor does, and my Raptor is plenty happy. Sitting at 35°C currently (According to SMART), not doing much though.

9. Blitzer

Blitzer Cool Cat

I put an additional fan on the back of my home built PC's case and it made a major difference. It was simple all I had to do is pull the cover off the 4" fan location below the power supply. I used four screws out of an old Power supply to mount the new fan and my mother board had two extra a three pin ports for extra fans.

$14.95

Heat sinks with thermo tape are available from several resources on the web to aid in cooling the drives.

http://froogle.google.com/froogle?q...official&hs=BHa&um=1&sa=X&oi=froogle&ct=title

Water cooling is quieter, one fan, and it adds CPU and video chip set coolers too. Prices vary at around $100.00 for a basic kit, more for extra hard drives.

http://www.overcool.com/exec/product.asp?item_Id=27960

http://www.tomshardware.com/2004/09/20/7_hot_new_water_cooling_systems_tested/

:thumbsup: :supergrin: ;) :banana:

10. HAVOC

HAVOC Guest

[OT]

Blitzer... you have your precision equationa all wrong.

Measure with a micrometer.
    Mark it with a felt-tip.
    Cut it with a torch.

It flows better in converstion that way. :D

[/OT]

11. Blitzer

Blitzer Cool Cat

Yup, but I old school and I don't need to lug around that damn torch with me!

:supergrin: :thumbsup: ;)