close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Hazmat (10 gallons in my 5 gallon head)

Discussion in 'Firefighter/EMS Talk' started by RESCUE31, Jan 28, 2006.

1. RESCUE31

RESCUE31 G-22 G-27

My department was selected to get a regional response trailer out of the Homeland Security Act money. I just finished Hazmat Ops and I will be starting Hazmat Technician in 2 weeks. Our 40 hour course was condensed into about 30 hours and my brain still hurts. I was wondering if anyone else has got one of these rigs and their opinion of it and maybe some tricks, tips, or pitfalls on their hazmat experiences in general. Thanks in advance. ;g

2. gruntmedik

gruntmedik Honk Honk CLM

If you're gonna be playing in Level A suits, and you will during your technician course, make sure you are hydrated--you WILL sweat--alot! Have fun.

3. Tvov

Tvov

Think about having a second trailer to follow just loaded with speedy-dri, diapers, absorbent dams, etc. One "real" hazmat call can go through an immense amount of material.

That's really the first thing I think of with hazmat. It's not glamorous, but it's what I've encountered.

4. inspector1

inspector1 gatorman

also, while suiting up in level A always remember to grab several dry rags/wipes for the inside of your hood. it will fog up but just pull back one arm and wipe dry.

we just finished our yearly haz-mat tech. training. so much nicer this time of year (always seems to be 100f and 90% humidity when we train)

as always, priorities first and you and your partner must come first.

stay safe,
    ken

5. DScottHewitt

DScottHewitt EMT-B

In Virginia, HMA is required for FF1, and HMO for FF2. Our paid county department has the HazMat team. They go all over the region. Most local departments just have stay dri.....

Scott

;b

6. RESCUE31

RESCUE31 G-22 G-27

Here's a pic from my tech course.

7. RESCUE31

RESCUE31 G-22 G-27

Here's another.

8. DScottHewitt

DScottHewitt EMT-B

Is the containment breach supposed to be cryogenic, or is it simulating vapors?!?!?

Scott

;b

9. RESCUE31

RESCUE31 G-22 G-27

Is the containment breach supposed to be cryogenic, or is it simulating vapors?!?!?

Scott

The scenario is an overturned chlorine railcar. It's nitrogen simulating the vapor

10. AWDTerror

AWDTerror Ass Penny

my department has 2 trailers. one for hazmat(all that is related to hazmat like the suits and air bottles) and the decon trailer(Yup everything related for decon, showers, etc.)

11. kyfirefreak

kyfirefreak

Ahh tech class. . . fun times!

One of the guys in my class put RainX inside his level A. Apparently works well. & + 1 for the hydration deal.

12. fireman jb

fireman jb

I remember my tech class. That was a work out. My partner and I had the clorine railcar also. My buddy (partner) is the station smart*****. So as we were on our way out he was cracking jokes over the throut com system so our other buddy the instructor killed him right before the decon line. Of course we were using out of service level A's and his exhilation valves were taken out. So the instructor filled his suit half full of water from one of the decon hoses. Needless to say we had to finish the drill. I got to carry him through decon. I about beat him clueless once we got out of the level As. But it was a lot of info in a short period of time. Very cool class. I'm in the Air Force so we have a Haz-Mat trailer and a WMD (Weapons of Mass Desctruction) trailer. Needless to say a lot of supplies to check out and inventory every month.

13. BroBrandonB

BroBrandonB In God We Trust

yea, we got one of those dem thar trailers... I took a look at it when we put it in the basement and thought , "wonder how many lights we can fit on top?" and haven't given it a second thought since. Hazmat is ussually a big yawn for me.