Hayabusa riders...comment

Discussion in 'Moto Club' started by RBR, Apr 10, 2005.

1. RBR

RBR

Anyone here that rides a Hayabusa and is 6'tall or longish inseam? I've been wondering how cramped it is for taller people. Big hit on Insuring probably?

I ride a FZ1, that while an excellent do-it-all bike, and certainly no slug, sometimes lacks enough low-end grunt (torque)for me. One would think an engine with 140hp/78ftlbs torque would be enough but I want more. My 1200 Bandit had good torque but the FZ1 beats it every where else. I'm thinking I need to look at more cc's and the Suzuki is the only one that remotely interests me.

I have already been through the pipe/re-jetting,ignition advancer with the old Bandit. It certainly would help the FZ1 but probably in making more HP.

2. Mad Ryan

Mad Ryan

Busa's are nice bikes but are big and heavy. They are comfy but are almost sport touring rigs when compared to the newer sportbikes. I'd score the new R-1 or the new Gixxer 1k that's coming out this year. Either one has as much power, with nearly as much torque, and much less weight to lug around. The Busa is great tho, but you might give some thought to the ZX-12, as it's much sportier and is (IMO) a bit more comfy for me and I'm about your size from what you described.

3. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

The new BMW K1200S weighs about the same as the Busa (500-lbs or so) and is frightfully fast. I don't think that it has the snap of acceleration like the Busa but it pulls literally like a freight train. 167-hp @ 10,250-rpm and 96-lbft @ 8250-rpmCan you say TORQUE? I test rode one just yesterday and it was scary fast. The damn thing nearly double the horsepower and 35% more torque than my current bike.

The new Beemer boxer twins R1200RT and R1200ST have only 110-hp but the torque is at 85-lbft. And it's all down low, baby.

4. epsylum

epsylum Boolit Hoze

The busa is one bad mofo. It has been about 6 years and other companies are just now catching up. The ZX-12 was very,very close, but there are more headaches on that thing than I can imagine. It all comes from that dumb backbone frame. You have to almost drop the motor to even change the sparkplugs.

I still love the busa and love it's looks. It still owns in the roll-on dept. (99 ft/lb of torque does that). Also the aftermarket is HUGE for a busa. They make everything for that bike. If I had the money I would walk down to the dealer and pick one up immediately, without even looking at any other bikes.

As for the insurance thing. I dunno. Insurance comapanies don't have any logic to thier madness. Mainly, from what I can tell, the hate the letter "R" (especially if it has a "GSX" in front of it). If it has an "R" in the name, expect to pay more. I got lucky with my last bike. They didn't expect a TL-1000S to be a fast bike apperently (I was only paying about 40 bucks a month for full coverage on a brand new bike and I was only 18 at the time!).

As to whether they have stumbled accross the fact that the busa is one of the fastest and most powerful bikes on the planet yet, who knows. Give 'em a call. Quotes are free. Heck I am curious.

5. Clydeglide

Clydeglide

My wife and I both ride Busa's. Although we are both under 6' we know many taller riders with this bike and they love it.

As for insurance....well, that's gonna be all about you. We pay $350/yr/bike full coverage. YMMV.

The new Bimmer is is nice and almost there. The HP and Torque numbers above are at the crank.

This is a stock 2001 Hayabusa at the rear wheel.

[​IMG]

Over 80 lb/ft of torque from 3500 to almost redline. No wonder I rarely downshift.

;b

6. epsylum

epsylum Boolit Hoze

any one seen or have a good pic of the new black and red color for the 05 hayabusa? It looks interesting, but the pic on the website is not a real pic.

They busa is still the raw power king for sure.

Now that others are starting to catch up I vote that suzuki make the next busa a 1500 ;f . I could see 180-190hp and 120-130 ft/lb. at the wheel easy.

Man I want one.

7. Mad Ryan

Mad Ryan

I hate to tell you this, but any of the new literbikes will tear up a Busa. It's just too heavy. Great bike, but for carving corners and whatnot, you're better off with the new Gixxer 1k which I've heard is going to be the dogs danglies.

My best friend up north slid his '04 Gixxer under a Ford Taurus and totaled it (clueless driver in the ford) and is holding off for the redesigned Gixxer 1k that comes out I believe next year. I've heard it's going to be 7/8 the size of it's predecessor, which will make it a canyon carving monster. Add the HP that Suzuki is famous for and you have a wonderfully fun bike.

Now, if you live in the Midwest, and every corner you encounter has a stopsign in it, then buy the Busa, cause it's not going to matter.

(Not to make any of our flatter state living members jealous, but today some friends and I rode about 150mi of the most killer twisties around. We're talking probably 250-300 turns per mile. It was most excellent!) ;f

8. epsylum

epsylum Boolit Hoze

Yeah and 99% of riders who purchase any top o the line literbikes cannot use them to within 30% of what it is capable of. So it's a moot point. The busa is a more comfortable bike, which is what the the thread starter wanted. Not to mention it is very easy to make it an even more comfortable bike with the use of bar risers a taller screen and an aftermaket seat. A person who has an FZ-1 and a Bandit 12 (and over 6 foot tall) does not sound like the kind of guy who is trying to fold himself up on a racebike with blinkers. Yes they are very fast. That is the reason they exist. But as an all around bike to live with day in and day out, I say stick with the busa.

If push comes to shove, there is way more power potential in a busa engine. It's bigger and heavier, but it is stonger. I have yet to see a 600+ hp watercooled Gixxer motor, but I have seen a busa motor doing that.

But, I live in Indiana, so I guess corners don't mean much to me.

9. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

While it's true that the Busa can't carve up the corner like the CBR, R1, GSXR, etc., it's more capable than people think. I've seen old timers on those things carving up Latigo Canyon Road in Southern California on those things like there's no tomorrow.

10. Mad Ryan

Mad Ryan

Both of you are right to a point, but I stand by my reasoning that it's easier to go fast through twisties on a bike weighing 100lbs or more less with the same amount of power and arguably better suspension. I realize that the original poster was looking for more of a comfy ride, and for that I'd say pick up the FJR 1300, as it handles really well, and is really comfy. But for real world canyon carving, nothing beats a modern (read literbike or smaller) sportbike or a supermotard.

There ya go... If you want to have so much fun that they arrest you on general principle pick up a CR450F (Dirtbike) and throw 17in wheels and Pirelli Supercorsa's on it and go tear it up in the canyons. Don't forget your leathers tho.

11. gixxer11

gixxer11 bbrrraaapppppp!

Maybe on a race track with an EXECLLENT rider. There is no way in hell anyone is going to use a Gixxer 1k to it's fullest on the street. There is no way in hell that anyone is going to use a 'busa to it's fullest on the street, either. When I used to work corners @ local WERA races, it really opened my eyes to how fast even comparatively slow bikes, such as Hawk GTs, SV650, even GS500s, are with a talented rider (WERA49, where are you?). If you ride like that on the street, you truly are crazy or your exagerating (I lean toward the latter). Buying an all out racer-rep for street use solely for it's 10/10ths handling abilites doesn't make a lot of sense. Buying one because you can't live with out it, makes all the sense in the world! All of my friends have new bikes that are sooooo much better on paper, so why can't they keep up with me on a '91 GSXR1100? Don't mean to piss anybody off, just tellin' it like it is.

12. epsylum

epsylum Boolit Hoze

Got something against the busa don't ya? It's okay, you can admit it.;f

You are still entirely missing his point. If he wanted a race-rep he would be asking about it. You sound like the guy at the gun shop who trys to sell you a 1911, no matter what you were looking for. "Want a cheap plinker, get a 1911. Want a small BUG for an ankle holster, get a 1911. Want a good shotgun, get a 1911."

Some people just don't like supersport bikes (i.e. tall people who do a lot of road riding). We are not arguing that a Gixxer isn't faster in the twisties (only to those who aren't intimidated by it's high power, low weight, high center of gravity, and short wheelebase combo). We are trying to give him some real input about the bike he was asking about.

Personally, if I could buy only one bike, it would be a Busa hands down. Power (with lots more power just begging to be released), bigger bike to fit my bigger size, lots of aftermarket to suit it to almost any job I want it to do (sport touring, drag racing, daily commuter, and yes, even a track bike). What isn't there to like?

13. gixxer11

gixxer11 bbrrraaapppppp!

BTW, I wish I had video footage of the ' busa rider kicking the crap out of a Ducati 999 @ Putnam Park last fall. Sideways exiting the corners, with smoke from the rear tire no less. Then he proceeded to suck up the Ducati and pass it on the straight fast enough to peel off the "Ducati Performance" sticker off the side. Ok, ok. It didn't peel any stickers off, but the Duck guy had to swallow his ego, 'cause he was one of the fastest guys on street tires 'till the big, bad busa showed up. It just makes you smile. The busa rider was riding hard enough to loosen the "floating" rivets on the front discs. I do agree with you Mad Ryan, lighter bikes are "easier" to ride fast. But I can't sit back and let someone talk down about one of the BEST bikes ever built, and an instant classic bike that people will talk about for years to come, the Hayabusa.

14. epsylum

epsylum Boolit Hoze

90% rider
    10% bike

Mat Mladin on a katana 600 running on 3 cylinders could beat the hell out of all of us on any bike.

15. gixxer11

gixxer11 bbrrraaapppppp!

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA. That's so funny, 'cause it's true!!!!!

16. gixxer11

gixxer11 bbrrraaapppppp!

If horsepower is what you want, you shouldn't have sold the Bandit for an FZ1. 170+ reliable hp is doable from a Bandit12. Some head work & cams, 1340-1371cc pistons, MikuniRS40 or Keihin FCR41 flat-slides, and a good exhaust should get you there on pump gas. My friend built a 205 hp 1255cc race motor that lasted a 2 whole seasons (Dwarf car) @ 15k rpm and 15:1 (about 340psi) with the stock bottom end. Bandit's are VERY good at hp:dollar ratio!

17. RBR

RBR

I can certainly appreciate the technology that goes into the 1ltr sport-bikes but I'm looking more towards the sport-tourer type. I've never tried, as of yet, to explore the handeling limits of the FZ1 so an R1 (or the like) would be wasted on me. I really like the FZ1, and would highly recommend it, but sometimes wish it had more bottom-end grunt.

The Hayabusa has always been in the back or my mind as a possible answer. I can't really come up with any valid reason to need the bigger hammer (but why not?). I think I need to go sit on one and see how it compares ergonomically. I like the FJR1300 but feel it's just a tad much on the touring side for me.

18. epsylum

epsylum Boolit Hoze

2 words on how the buse feels.

Long and Low. But, keep in mind it can be suited to your tastes. I have seen an older guy (about late 50's) who pretty much made his busa a touring bike. Really tall windscreen, hardbags, big ole comfy seat, bar risers, tankbag, etc, etc. So anything in between is possible. It has to have one of the largest aftermarkets out of any bike. They literally make anything for it.

19. Mad Ryan

Mad Ryan

You really should ride both. The FJR is an amazing bike. It actually handles like a sportbike to a point.

I have nothing against the Busa, it's not my thing, but it's a really sweet bike. It's just that I'm into smaller, lighter bikes, and with the new literbikes making nearly as much power as the Busa, I don't see why anyone would take the insurance hit. I could see throwing some Heli bars on it and some hard bags and turning it into the ultimate sport tourer, but that seems to be a waste of a really fast bike.

The guys I've ridden with on Busa's would always blow past us on the straights and then we'd catch them in the twisties. That would go on the whole ride. You get sick of having some idiot blow past you at warp speed only to have to pass him in the corners because his slow *** doesn't know how to ride. I realize this has nothing to do with the bike, and everything to do with the rider, but I think it has something to do with the mentality of the busa crowd in the area I lived in. They all had blocked off 200 size tires with huge wanker stripes on the back. Fast bike tho.

20. epsylum

epsylum Boolit Hoze

1. I seriously doubt that a brand new Gixxer, R1, or ZX-10 would be any cheaper on insurance. Actually, they probably are more expensive. They have the super sport rep to go with them. I know of a few insurance places that blacklist gixxers period (of course I don't use them). They ALL are way too fast for what insurance companies like.

2. Waste of a fast bike??? So making a bike comfortable enough to ride at warp speed all day is a waste?

3. Again, 90% rider, 10% bike. I bet you couldn't take a busa anyhwere near it's limits. And let's not even start with what ever liter-bike you ride (your bike is laughing at you every time you ride). Busas are capable of dragging pegs, bone stock. I have seen it. Just becasue the people you know are scared (would be even more scared on a bike that can do 3 gear, mid-turn wheelies) on busas, doesn't mean that every busa rider is. My dad has an 84 GPz 1100 (handles like crap) and I am willing to bet could keep up with you in the twisties. When he jumps to his TL-1000S, let's just say, there isn't much rubber on his tires that hasn't seen the ground at speed. A good rider can ride a bike fast no matter what it is.

RBR, go sit on a Busa. Then come back and tells what you think.;)