close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Hawaii

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by heyTJ, Aug 15, 2012.

1. heyTJ

heyTJ Giddy up!

The Mrs. and I are planning a trip to Hawaii next spring, March/April. I'm confident the GT brain trust will have some fantastic information for me.

Thank you,

TJ

2. HerrGlock

HerrGlock Scouts Out CLM

Aloha stadium. Sat, Sun, Wed and holidays. If it's still there, that's flea market days. Everything from breakfast cereal to tourist-y trinkets.

Oh, if you see a pair of gecko shorts that seem to need a home, tell me how much I owe you :supergrin:

3. HerrGlock

HerrGlock Scouts Out CLM

4. VELO

VELO

Giovanni's Shrimp Truck - North Shore

5. mixflip

mixflip

My wifes whole family lives in Hawaii. We stay their house, drive their car and eat like kings when we are there!!!

The only thing that sucks is the TRAFFIC!!!!!!! The cost of things is expensive too but the traffic is the big problem for me.

North Shore - Get some Hawaiian shave ice (aka snow cone for the mainlanders) from Aoikis. Kathy Aoiki owns and operates the little shack family business.
    [​IMG]

North Shore - Waimea Bay. Big or small waves.. the views are epic either way.
    [​IMG]

North Shore - For lunch or dinner check out Haleiwa Joes (near the Anahulu bridge). Great harbor views if you eat on the lanai.

Stop and take pictures of the pineapple fields up in the North Shore.

Pearl Harbor!!! (Arizona and Missouri)
    [​IMG]

Hike Diamond Head when in Waikiki. The hike is short and the views are spectacular!!!
    [​IMG]

Pali Lookout. Again jaw dropping views from a cliff where 100+ warriors were pushed to their deaths.
    [​IMG]

Ko Olina lagoons and Aulani resort in the east side (Ko Olina). The lagoons are so relaxing and the new Disney resort is pretty. Our kids love the lagoons calm waters.
    [​IMG]

The ladies love shooping at Ala Moana shopping center if your near Waikiki. Lots of shops and restaurants and the beach across the street is also gorgeous and kid friendly.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2012
  6. bfg1971

bfg1971

Big Kahuna's pulled pork sandwich and garlic cheese balls. The best way to describe how to get there is take Nimitz Hwy. from the airport towards Honolulu (you are under the H-1 interstate) Make a left at the 2nd stop light and you should see Tripler Army Medical Center in front of you on the side of a mountain. AKA the big pink building on the hill. On your right will be a recycling yard and a little shack with a surf motiff.

Ted's bakery on the North shore has incredible pies. Disclaimer: owned by a friend of mine.

Punchbowl Cemetary of the Pacific is very interesting.

Hanama bay is a great place to snorkel or just wade with the tropical fish. Note the sound of gunfire is from the town range across the street. Range is free, but taking a gun to Hawaii is a pain in the butt. After Hanama bay keep going the same direction and you will come to the blowhole which is very cool to watch. Stay on this side of the fence it seems every year someone drowns there.

The Polynesian Cultural Center is a good place to spend the day.
    That's it you have made me miss Hawaii, I'm going back next summer too.

7. CAcop

CAcop

Which island?

I've only been to Maui due to my aunt living there.

I would recommend getting a book from Wizard Publications that is Maui Revealed, Kuai Revealed, etc. On their website they have mini reveiws of various condos and resorts. Great resource. I saw it in the Costco in Maui so even if you forget it you can pick it up there. They review snokeling spots, sightseeing, food, accomdations. It is probably the most user friendly tourbook I have ever seen.

8. BigSteven34

BigSteven34

The wife and I went there last year (almost exactly) and had a blast, here are a few things I would recommend.

Eat:
    1. Helena's Kitchen (local food that is awesome and cheap) - Honolulu
    2. Giovanni's Shrimp Truck (Best garlic shrimp I've ever had!) - North Shore near Haleiwa
    3. Boot's & Kimo's (Best pancakes I've ever had, get the ones with macadamia syrup) - Windward side near Kaneoha MCAS
    4. Matsumoto shave ice (Way better than Aoki's shave ice) - North Shore in Haleiwa
    5. Nico's Pier 38 (Great gourmet food that is CHEAP!) - Honolulu

See:
    1. Diamond Head (Not a bad hike, amazing view) - East of Waikiki
    2. Pali lookout (Breathtaking view of the windward side of the island)
    3. Waiema bay park (Great park to walk through and relax) - North Shore
    4. Three tables beach (It's like Hanauma Bay but not as crowded) - North Shore
    5. Pearl Harbor (You have to go, history) - Honolulu

9. Kozel

Kozel

Big Island

I have been to four major islands in Hawaii. Big island is better then the rest combined.
    It may look kinda scary with all the lava flows but it has more places to go and things to see then the other islands put together.

90% fewer tourists per places to go then other islands.

Went there five times now. If I could scratch together enough money I would be there tomorrow.

Get a Jeep and go to all the places you are not supposed to go mentioned on rental agreement.

10. TheExplorer

TheExplorer

Yeah, take me along. No, I'm serious.

11. All Pro Sports Hero

All Pro Sports Hero

12. ColdSteelNail

ColdSteelNail

You're gonna love it. I've been lucky enough to go Oahu three times. I never saw a day over there that wasn't perfect. Even on a warm day (never hot) there's always a breeze blowing. I swear you can even feel it indoors. I personally would skip the luaus. If you think you might want to do one there are numerous reviews online. For sure take a drive around the Island starting at Waikiki go to the east toward Diamond Head. You can follow the coast all the way around past the North Shore and on to the town of Haleiwa. About 8 or 9 miles past Haleiwa the paved road actually runs out. You could drive on but they recommend a four wheel drive if you do so. The next 10 or so miles goes around the western tip of the island and the road is dirt and fairly rugged. The ocean and rocks are beautiful but the landscape is somewhat scrubby and dry. The west side is the dry side of the Island. The east and north are green and lush. You can also drive west from Waikiki and go around that way until you hit dirt road again. Once again the ocean is beautiful but the landscape is a little dry. It only takes a couple of hours to drive west until the pavement runs out if you have time. A lot of homeless people live on that side of the island in tents and buses. You can go from Haleiwa and drive south across the Island and visit the Dole pineapple plantation. I don't recommend the tour but the gift shop is pretty good and it's a good place to snack and refresh. If you like night life Waikiki is the place. Go any direction. You can't miss it. My favorite restaurant is Roy's on Waikiki (a little pricey but good experience). We pretty much ran around all day and would grab a bite here and there and go out for a good dinner at night. Skip the International Marketplace in Waikiki (cheap trinkets). If anyone of you likes to shop you won't be disappointed. The shopping mall connected to the Royal Hawiian Hotel is very good. The main strip at Waikiki is full of upscale shops and as well as mid level. The Ala Moana Mall is only a short distance west of Waikiki and is probable the best mall I've ever been in. I'ts huge. If you're interested in history there's Pearl Harbor and the Arizona memorial. I love military history so it was a good experience for me. It's not a place for sight seeing. It's more for reverence and reflection. You can drive around the base at Pearl but there's not really much to see there unless a carrier happens to be in. The rest of it looks just like any military base and you can't really get a good view of any ships that may be in. Except the one time I saw a carrier there it was docked near the Missouri and Arizona Memorial I guess so people could see it. I see you're going in March. I was there last March and they were having some huge waves on the North Shore. Usually winter is the best time for big waves on the North Shore and it usually tapers off after march. Good on that. I can't recommend accommodations I have a DOD ID and stay at the Hale Koa. It's a military resort on Waikiki. If you are military or DOD do not, I repeat do not miss the exchange at Pearl Harbor.

Well, that's some highlights. I'm sure as soon as I post this I'll wish I told you something else.

Bon Voyage

13. 686Owner

686Owner NRA Life Member

Been to Maui.

Helicopter Tour, Haleakala at sunrise, road to Hana were great. You can't go to Hawaii and NOT go to a Luau IMO.

Went to Oahu for a day. If you do Pearl Harbor, GO EARLY!

14. janice6

janice6 Silver Member

The 'Big Island". We drove from Kona along the coast completely around the island. Then we drove across to Helo.

I saw so many things that were amazing that It's too much to post. I especially liked the "Black" sand beach, the rain forest with the spectacular waterfall just North of Helo, the volcanoes, the active magma flow, A many many mile canyon washed out by a Tsunami (all at once).

Even the weeds are gorgeous with color there. You will not forget a visit to Honolulu, Pearl Harbor and Waikiki Beach.

It's a wonderful trip ( forget the plane ride though, it's the pits)

15. ColdSteelNail

ColdSteelNail

Really great pictures mix, wouldn't hurt my feelings if you posted more. I'm a pretty lousy photographer.

16. G23c

G23c

17. AdobeGlock

AdobeGlock

Ted's Bakery on Oahu's North Shore. Amazing!!!!! Buy a whole Chocolate Haupia Cream Pie and thank me later. I don't even like pie!
    http://tedsbakery.com/

18. USAF96815

USAF96815

I live here. Ask away or PM me.

I will say keep any weapons at home. This place is nuts when it comes to CCW even for LEOs.

There is no CCW at all for civilians.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2012
  19. DrMaxit

DrMaxit Dirtbag Airman

Yep, same here! If you guys are into hiking let me know.

20. heyTJ

heyTJ Giddy up!

Fantastic information guys!! Pearl harbor is on the top of my list. I love the beach, so I plan on hitting the top ones.

I'm more of a "off the beaten path" person, so I defiantly plan of seeing some of the non tourist areas.

We are taking at least two weeks off so I this should give us some good time to see the sights. We do plan on going horseback riding also.

I'm not saying money is no object here, but we do plan on living it up and splurging, have not had a major vacation in years, so this is going to make up for it.