Having problems with Windows 10 or Firefox; not sure which.

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by Jade Falcon, Dec 18, 2015.

1. Jade Falcon

Jade Falcon WTF EREN?!

Folks, I'm having a couple of issues that I don't know if they're connected or related.

The first issue is Windows 10. At the bottom of my desktop, where the window icon is, when I left click on the icon, nothing happens. When I RIGHT click on the icon, it open into a drop-down menu (from Bottom to Top): Desktop, Shutdown or Sign Out, Run, Search, File Explorer, Control Panel, Task Manager, Command Prompt Admin, Command Prompt, Computer Management, Disk Management, Network Connections, Device Manager, System, Event Viewer, Power Options, and finally Programs and Features.

Nowhere does it give me a "Settings" option. Instead, I have to go into Control Panel. And when I do, there is NO option to update Windows 10.

This was not an issue yesterday, and I don't know what's going on here. I've done nothing to change any settings on my computer, and the only thing that I've downloaded this week was this: Windows-KB890830-x64-V5.31.exe; which is the "Malicious Software Removal Tool", which I downloaded on the 13th from Microsoft. I wanted a Malware Scanner, so I typed in "Free Malware Scanner" into Google, this came up, so I downloaded it.

If anything, it looks like my computer has reverted back to a hybrid Windows 8/XP mix. There's no menu that shows me the colorful icons in my system, like it did with Windows 8. All of my files are in proper order and still there.

When I tried to look at uninstalling this Malicious Software Removal Tool, it doesn't show up in the installed menu.

Oh, and now Coranda, or whatever the hell her name is, no longer has the search bar down near the bottom left of my desktop. What the hell is going on here? I just used her to search for "Settings" about 2 hours ago.

That's just one problem. The other has to do with losing sound online, and not being able to play music files on Windows Media Player at the same time. I tried uninstalling Adobe and reinstalling it, but that didn't seem to work. And this has only started happening the past few hours while using YouTube.

Yesterday, I ran a virus scan using AvastPro, and also scanned with SuperAntiSpyware. Both came back clean, but I'm going to run them again.

Any help is greatly appreciated, thanks.

2. Jade Falcon

Jade Falcon WTF EREN?!

Update:

I restarted my computer on advice of Avast (which required a restart, apparently), and everything seems to be working again.

I'm not sure if this was the issue, but I'll take what I get, and I won't complain, lol. If anyone's ever had this issue before, please let me know. It really had me freaking out, because it looked like, one by one, each thing I tried to use was shutting down or something.

3. Gun Shark

Gun Shark

I loved the GUI of windows 10, but it literally caused me to get a Macbook Pro this past week. My and my fathers computer kept crashing and losing its OS to the point we had to pay someone to restore it because I could not boot into a recovery environment. This happened on multiple different computers.

If I experienced what you were describing, I would probably reinstall/reset the operating system and see if that fixed it.

4. illrooster132

illrooster132

and this is the same reason I don't use win10. I have win 7 and happy with it , until I get an I-mac

5. Jade Falcon

Jade Falcon WTF EREN?!

Thanks, but since I restarted my computer through Avast (which I'm currently running again, along with SuperAntiSpyware, just to be safe), everything seems to be running great. I'll let you know if I run into any problems. Rebooting/reinstalling my entire system is the absolute LAST resort. I'll take my computer to an expert before that happens.

6. GoFasterrrr

GoFasterrrr

Windows 10 is the next Windows Vista. Windows 7 is the most stable since Windows XP. Say what you want but if you've never used OS X don't knock it. There's a small learning curve but it runs flawlessly and you get the newest OS for FREE every year.

Pierre! likes this.
  7. sbhaven

sbhaven

The taskbar becoming unresponsive happened on my of the computers (a three year old Toshiba laptop) last week when I tried to upgrade to Windows 10. It happened at the second reboot to the Windows 10 desktop while performing the upgrade. After Windows 10 downloaded update files. Doing another reboot fixed the issue. I found, for what ever reason, I had to reboot the computer a minimum of three times after performing the upgrade before things settled down. Had so many problems with Windows 10 on that Toshiba laptop that I rolled back to Windows 7. Something with one of the Toshiba programs/drivers or the hard drive format (has hidden partitions) were the cause of the upgrade problems. That laptop isn't listed on Toshiba's list of Windows 10 Upgrade supported laptops

On the missing Cortana search box. One can usually just click on the magnifying glass icon to the right of the Start button and the search box should appear. If the search box is missing or you have just the search icon, right click on the task bar, select Search then "Show Search box" and the search field should be restored.

For audio problems, upgrade the audio drivers from the manufacturer's website. Don't rely on Microsoft audio drivers.

As I understand it the Microsoft Malicious Software Removal Tool is not typically a user selectable program, rather it is one that is run by the OS approximately once a month when the Windows Update is run. More on the removal tool at this link. One can download the tool independatly of the update at this link.

8. Jade Falcon

Jade Falcon WTF EREN?!

Thank you! My computer is working great after I restarted it earlier. But I appreciate it.

9. Pierre!

Pierre! NRA Life Member

Well, glad to hear it resolved it's self.

I have 2 Surface Pros and a 4 year old home built system that are running Win10x64 just fine! I'll be upgrading my primary Money Making System next weekend (4 day weekend, so revert from upgrade failure can be accomplished! :)). I am at least optimistic. The 4 Year old "work backup" system went just fine, so it should go easily.

I have gotten to the point where I don't trust anything but MalwareBytes, Windows Defender, and setting the User Account Control (UAC) to HIGH. That's been working VERY well since Windows 7, so I go with what I know.

Merry Christmas

Jade Falcon likes this.
  10. F106 Fan

F106 Fan

Before I upgrade this machine, I plan to duplicate the HDD onto another drive. If things go sideways, I just swap back to the original disk and all is well. There is simply too much stuff on the machine and I don't want to lose any of it.

Yes, I have backups but a cloned drive is far better!

Jade Falcon likes this.
  11. Pierre!

Pierre! NRA Life Member

I went with 2 images, each on a different Ext HDD, and rolled the CORE Workstation over to Windows 10 Christmas Eve!

It did not go well - Login produced a flashing screen that was impossible to get past. If you get that it's most likely video drivers.

If this happens, get logged in, and as soon as you see your desktop do CTRL + ALT + DEL which will stabilize the system (in my case) and you can remove old video drivers, reboot, and install the right ones.

After that, it's been running *sweet*, so I'm pretty pleased. None of the other upgraded systems are having issues at all.

I am very impressed with the Windows 10 upgrade process at this point. Then again, the current version is the "SP1" version. Depending on who you talk to that is... (LOL)

Good Luck! Let us know how it goes.

Merry Christmas, and Happy New Year!

Jade Falcon likes this.
  12. dwhite53

dwhite53

An image is great but, I understand you need to backup your registry separately. Just something I heard you may want to look into. I've restored Linux systems from and image but not Windows, ever.

Registry was a stupid idea in the first place. Should have killed it off years ago.

All the Best,
    D. White

13. Pierre!

Pierre! NRA Life Member

Hey there DWhite53,

I have been able to recover twice now with images, and no registry backup required.

I'm using Macrium Reflect that captures all partitions required to produce a bootable drive. That pretty much covers it all!

Quick, painless, and almost effortless recovery so far.

I recommend it highly.
    Hope that helps you out!