close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Having problems (FTE) with my Glock 19

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by AR15Fan, Sep 3, 2004.

Tags:
  1. AR15Fan

AR15Fan

I have carried a Glock 19 as my duty weapon for about 7 years. mine is a two pin, serial # BLS7xx. It's unmodified and has the 5.5# connector. I experience failures to eject with Winchester Ranger 147Gn SXT and RA9T, and Speer 147Gn GDHP. The extracted round is caught between the Brl Hood and breech face, like a stove pipe, only the casing is horizontal. I have tried a new factory recoil spring, and brand new LEO mags. The slide has been detail stripped and cleaned. The extractor is not chipped or broken. Malfunction rate has remained unchanged, about 2 - 4%.

The pistol never malfunctions with USGI M882 NATO 124Gn BALL. My other glocks; 17, 21, 23, & 26 NEVER malfunction.

I would appreciate your recommendations. Changing ammo is not an option. my agency issues RA9T.

2. 4eyes

4eyes Provocateur

Your problem is indicative of limp wrist/low powered ammo, but since you are experienced and the FTE ammo is full powered; weak extraction is probably the problem.

Stretch the existing extractor plunger rod spring to see if you get an improvement. If so: get a new plunger spring.

3. DonGlock26

DonGlock26

Check for: broken or worn extractor
    Dirt under extractor claw
    dirty chamber
    limp wrist

I would change the extractor, extractor spring, and recoil spring assembley. They are 7 years old, after all. If it's a Dept. pistol have an armorer do it. If it's your pistol, call Glock they may do it for free.

http://glockmeister.com/glockinf.shtml

Stay Safe,

Don

4. chevrofreak

chevrofreak Senior Member

Definately check the extractor. Many people drop a cartridge into the chamber then let the slide snap home over it. This is a big no-no and will damage the extractor.

5. chevrofreak

chevrofreak Senior Member

Also, how many times are the rounds chambered? Many times rounds get chambered too often and it wears away the rim of the cartridge, not leaving enough for the extractor to grab.

6. AR15Fan

AR15Fan

Thank you for the suggestions everyone.

Does Glockmeister still sell the old extractors? Or will I have to buy a new "loaded chamber indicator" extractor? If it's the new type of extractor, what other parts must be changed at the same time?

TIA

7. lastevolution

lastevolution "Senior" Member

Some 147gr. rounds don't have sufficient energy to completely cycle the slide. In addition to your Glock being "old," it might have a weakened/broken extractor.

8. AR15Fan

AR15Fan

UPDATED

Today I tried instaling a stainless guide rod and Wolff 17# recoil spring.

Fired
    36 Rounds of Win Ranger SXT. No malfunctions.
    36 Rounds of Win Ranger RA9T. 1 failure to eject.
    36 rounds of USGI 124Gn NATO Ball. 6 Failures to eject.

This is the first time it has exhibited the failures to eject with the hot NATO ball load. I put the stock guide rod and recoil spring back in. Will order a new extractor, even though existing extractor appears undamaged.

9. Jim

Jim

The "horizontal stovepipe" you are experiencing sounds a little like the "phase 3 malfunctions" or whatever they called them, that NYPD was having with their G19's. There was a lot of NY bashing here, but it turned out that other people were having the same problems. Most guns were ok with most ammo, so it took a long time to figure out that something was actually happening. Even today some people refuse to admit there was/is a problem, because they have not personally seen it and refuse to believe that NYPD can get anything right. (No, you couldn't pay me enough money to live in NYC but sometimes their PD gets dumped on too much here).

As others have posted, there are several possible other causes to YOUR problem. Get a loaner gun and have yours checked by an Glock armorer or the main office in Smyrna.

If you need to get a new G19, be sure to get the newest LE mags with the -4 followers and smooth side on the mag body (no step near the top), because the solution to the "phase 3" problem can now cause JHP rounds to stub into the bottom of the feed ramp when using the older mags, regardless of which follower is in the mag.

Stay safe!

10. Emmet F

Emmet F

Since your weapon is a Department-issued sidearm, I would simply have my Armourer replace the extractor, complete extractor/plunger assembly (spring, bearing and plunger). While your original extractor appears to be undamaged, it can't hurt to replace anything that would compromise your Life! Have you checked the ejector? Has it been damaged in any way? I'd replace that to considering the cost to you as your issued weapon (none). For a grand total of about $30.00 retail, you might solve your problem. I would personally replace the Factory Glock recoil-spring with another Factory example.

Hope I could be of some limited assistance.;c

11. AR15Fan

AR15Fan

Okay, got a new extractor, depressor plunger, spring, and spring loaded bearing today. Will install them and test fire ASAP...Fingers crossed.

12. AR15Fan

AR15Fan

Today i installed the new depressor plunger, spring, and spring loaded Bearing, and extractor. I noticed the new depressor plunger spring ewas about 1 full coil longer than the original part. So extractor tension should be improved by that alone.

My otriginal extractor is not broken, or even visably worn. However, the replacment extractor is slightly diffeent in the area that engages the firing pin safety. To my untrained eye it looks like there is a cutout to allow the extractor to side deepr inside the slide, to more fully engage the case rim.

I am cautiously optimistic than these new parts will cure the failures to eject. If not, a new ejector is the next step.

Parts replaced at this point;
    3 Complete LEO mags
    Recoil spring assembly
    Slide lock spring (Upgraded design)
    Depressor plunger
    Spring loaded bearing
    Depressor plunger spring
    Extractor (upgraded design)

13. AR15Fan

AR15Fan

Good news!

I ran 60 rounds of 124Gn NATO ball, and 24rnds of Win Ranger RA9T through the gun with no malfunctions. Then I took the still dirty Glock 19 to the qualification range and qulified, firing 30 rounds of Winchester 147Gn FMJ, with no malfunctions.

If your pistol has weak EJECTION replace the extractor and depressor plunger spring.