close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Having HK Install Night Sights

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by skiezics, Jan 23, 2010.

1. skiezics

skiezics NRA Member

Was thinking of getting HK USP 45 and may in the future want to add night sights. Anybody have experience sending their HK pistol back into HK to have NS installed?

2. sourdough44

sourdough44

Why not just send the slide only to the night sight co in MI? The guys with the biblical inscription on the scopes? Trijion( or however it's spelled). I think I would send it several places before I sent it back to H&K.

3. UrbanCowboy

UrbanCowboy Koch Addict

I'm just wondering why you spend the extra money to send it back to H&K rather than have a local gunsmith do it for you? If you don't even have the gun yet why not just buy one with them already installed from the factory?

4. skiezics

skiezics NRA Member

I'm not totally sure if I want them on it at this time. It has been more difficult to find anyone in my area or online who carry the USP 45 with night sights for a reasonable price. I don't particularly care for dealing with a local gunsmith. I was just looking at my options.

5. Aceman

Aceman

First of all, ther are no reasonably priced USP's, even used. Let's not quibble over a few (hundred) dollars. If you have to ask, it's too expensive.

I agree - have even a semi local do it.

6. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

Or buy a cheap ball peen hammer and a brass punch and do it yourself.

7. AC498

AC498

Trijicon's gunsmith shop is called "Tool Tech" btw

8. skiezics

skiezics NRA Member

I know what they sell for. The issue tends to be finding one NIB that has night sights. Money is really not the issue, current availability is. I did just find one on Gunbroker for $940 with 3 mags, so I will probably go that route. Thank you all

9. USP45T

USP45T

I sent a P7M8 slide and a USP40c to HK Sterling to have Mepro sites installed. This was 7 or 8 yrs ago. With the P7, the HK guy suggested I have someone local do it. I told him I didnt know who to trust and that I wanted them to do it. He gave me info to return it. With the 40c, well, I did a poor job of shooting it, told the HK guy I thought something was wrong with it, he told me to send it in and have it checked out. While it was there, I had them install nitesites. They test fired the 40c and sent me the target. I had a friend ship it to them for free. Return cost was on my dime.

When the 40c front site died in 3yrs, I called HK and told I wanted a new front site installed. They told me remove the site and send it to Mepro with a letter explaining what I wanted. I had a local gunshop remove it (for free), sent it to Mepro. A week, or so, later a new site showed up in the mail. Gander Mountain installed the front site for free.

10. KilgoreTrout

KilgoreTrout Impossiblist

nevermind.

that was rude.

11. WayaX

WayaX Lifetime Member

You have several choices:

Most night sight companies will install their sights if you send them the slide (it's not legally a firearm and can be shipped easily).

You can buy the sights, a sight pusher, and do it yourself (the more self-sufficient you become, the better).

You can take it to your local Gander Mt and some space filler making minimum wage will install expensive sights on your expensive gun (not a good idea, and I do apologize to any GM gunsmiths that are any good. The local ones are not).

You can take it to a local, reputable gun smith and have him do it.

I would choose option one if you're not big into do-it-yourself stuff. If you like learning and the satisfaction that comes when you do something yourself, choose option two.

Oh, you can also have HK install mepro's (which are good sights), but you know about HK. They hate you.

12. Clem Eastwood

Clem Eastwood

if you buy the sight pusher and do it yourself you can always readjust them later. if you have someone install them locally they will probably adjust them for you after the initial install if you need some adjustment. IMO, sending a gun in for sights is a little overboard. ive installed dovetailed night sights with a hammer and a brass punch. it aint rocket science.

13. skiezics

skiezics NRA Member

Yeah, well, I'm anal :embarassed:

14. Clem Eastwood

Clem Eastwood

my old lady says that until i try to take her up on the offer. :supergrin:

15. HK Dan

HK Dan

Our local shop will install 'em with purchase. I do my own, but I have sight pushers.

16. faawrenchbndr

faawrenchbndr CLM

All the more reason to do it yourself!
    An MGW sight pusher will cost about $100. Postage and insurance to &
    from HK will run about half of that!

Also, if you do it yourself, there is not worry over the slide getting lost!

17. H&K 4 LIFE

H&K 4 LIFE Leonum A Ignis

Pffffttt! HK doesn't want to be bothered to install sights for us lowly civillians. You can call them, but fully expect them to swear at you and call you names. Perhaps they may even send someone to your house just to spit on you. Heck they could even take your pistol from you and sell it to some specialized "teutonic operator" far more deserving of it then us peasants. :rofl::rofl::rofl:

Joking aside... I would just buy the pistol with the night sights already installed. I purchased my USP Compact .40 "LE package" (3 mags. and night sights) for $800. You can do better then $940 off Gunbroker. Factory night sights are Meprolight Tru-Dots. :)

18. ipscshooter

ipscshooter Mostly IDPA now

Yep. Just did my USP 40 a few weeks ago. 10 minutes.

19. vantage

vantage

I sent my P2000 and P7M8 in to H&K in Virginia to install night sights a few years ago.

It was one of the best experiences I've had.

They called the next day to let me know they received the pistols. The armorer called later that day to let me know he installed both sets of sights. He mentioned that he had just test fired them for accuracy and would be shipping them back to arrive in another two days.

We ended up chatting for a while about the various firearms he has access to there. He sounded like a nice guy who really enjoyed his work.

A couple of days later there was a UPS slip on my door and I went to pick up the pistols. They were returned clean, quick and for about $120 per pistol.

I've heard horror stories about H&K's service, but my experience was great. I will definitely send the next HK I buy back to them for the same treatment.

M

20. H&K 4 LIFE

H&K 4 LIFE Leonum A Ignis

Thanks for posting! :wavey: