close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Having a rough winter

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by m2hmghb, Jan 11, 2010.

1. m2hmghb

m2hmghb

Anyone else having a bad time this winter?

I find myself getting only minimal relief from my normal darvon/ibuprofen/soma combo, it takes the edge off the pain but the pain is always there. I am unable to do much of anything because of the pain medication(I have a problem with "brain fog" and the medications make it to the point I don't trust myself driving, using power tools, shooting, or similar activities). I need to get more potent pain meds, but it's going be rough convincing my doctor on this. On top of the pain I've got chronic fatigue syndrome which keeps me from getting a restful sleep, I wake up 3-5 times a night because of pain in my knees.

I'm at the point where I don't know if what I have is permanent damage from a bad case of lyme, or if it's the lyme disease still being active in my body. Over the years I've probably been re-infected one or two times. I've been on more then 15 different antibiotics, I've had 3 PICC IV lines, I've given myself over 40 Bicillin IM shots(Penicillin, the need is 1.75 inches long and they hurt). Right now I am debating a course of action, to be honest I don't know what to do anymore.

I'm on social security supplemental security income which gives me a whopping 493 dollars a month(yes some of you would call me a leach, any of you who want to trade places and find out what it's like not being able to get out of the house because of fatigue and pain issues, well you're welcome to it). My whole day revolves around reading books, playing computer games, surfing internet forums, watching movies, and watching tv. It sounds like fun, until you actually have to do it yourself for months, and then years. Add into that not being able to go out of the house more then once or twice a week and it becomes even more fun.

Sorry for such a disjointed post, I just wanted to get this out of my head before it started getting to me any more then it already has been. If anyone has advice please let me know. I've been going through this for a decade now, and it's not getting any easier.

2. *ASH*

*ASH* FURBANITE

i know you got alot going on , and it makes my problems really small , i dont know what the answer is but if ever need to talk to someone sometime just pm and we can talk or whatever or like old chat . you know i got some health issues as well and sometimes talking to stranger helps , plus making new good friends is always a plus .

winter is always bad , its been really weird cold here in nc this year and i think seasonal sad is going around .plus my wife is up in Pennslyvania helping take care of her mom who had open heart surgery right after christmas, she could be gone for a few weeks so around here it me and the animals lol but lonely sucks

my faith has been tested for a long time , and you are in my prayers .

Last edited: Jan 11, 2010

3. GenX

GenX

Sounds rough and I feel for you. My dad has debilitating pain and I believe he's addicted to pain medication. Matter of fact, he pretty much cannot do the things he once enjoyed. Maintaining good health is my only advice and I realize that's a pretty lame thing to say. Hang in there and hope for the best. Also, I once heard from an old friend..."Growing old isn't for sissies." I'm pretty much screwed.:cool:

4. EM87

EM87

That's gotta be tough to deal with. I'm sure there's nothing I can say to make things better, but if words can help at all, I wish you the best, I really do. Hang in there!

5. Hound_dogs_01

Hound_dogs_01

ime to move south my friend....

The sunshine state hardely ever gets under 40F down there

Alex

6. happy seal

happy seal

The only thing I can do is pray you fell better, And you should feel it working cause I just did! Keep your head up! :wavey:

7. norton

norton

I am watching my once sweet loving sister go downhill due to a brain tumor. She was a long time elementary teacher, she loves sports including the Purdue Boilermakers, Chicago Cubs and Bears yet now watches them on TV hardly understanding whats going on.
    She can barely get out of bed, and is currently in the hospital with blood clots in her legs and chest.

I hope the O.P. gets to feeling better. Take Care.

8. Another Miller

Another Miller prankster

Thats awful, I wish there were some words I could give to help you.

9. NorthCarolinaLiberty

NorthCarolinaLiberty MentalDefective

I’m sorry to hear about your situation. I’m not a doctor and I don’t want to sound like someone who is going to give you the magic bullet answer. I had some chronic pain for awhile however, so I can just slightly relate to the frustration.

I’m sure you know you need to build up immunity when you’re sick. The antibiotics will only destroy immunity. They kill white blood cells. They can damage bone marrow. They’ll give you pain in the long run. I know the frustration with pain, but stronger medications will not help you in the long run. They might not help you much in the short run either. You’d only get worse with stronger medication.

I’m sure other methods have been suggested to you, but I’d ask you how much you have looked into them. You might know that there are natural antibiotics and natural pain killers. They won’t pack the wallop of anything from the pharmacy, but they won’t destroy your immunity either. They might help take the edge off.

You said you read books. I know a lot has been written about various alternative Lyme treatments. You could probably find a book or two at the library. Check the different diets, detox, etc. Try them if you can afford them. You might be surprised how cheap some of this is when you do it yourself. Check the resources in the books. They’ll list helpful resources and might give you some ideas. Glocktalk is a good general forum, but you can also find people who share your situation.

I hope this is not a bunch of blah-blah information you've heard before. My personal bias is stop listening to doctors. One doctor once told me, “You’re getting old God Dammit!” And I actually had to pay that guy!

You might not have much money, but it sounds like you have the resource of time. If what you've posted is the only route you've taken, then take time to look into alternatives. If doctors have not helped you in ten years, it’s time to do something else.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2010
  10. mr smithglock

mr smithglock

sorry to hear. I just got off 120 mg oxycontin a day you dont want to go that route.

11. m2hmghb

m2hmghb

I've looked into alternative therapy, but to be honest half of the crap they talk about is highly dangerous. There are more protocols for Lyme then there are stars in the sky. One alternative herb has helped quite a bit with a co-infection called babesiosis. It's called Artemisinin and was used to treat malaria thousands of years ago. WHO is now using it in combination with anti malarials to help prevent the development of drug resistant strains.

I haven't looked into any detox programs, but I do have a decent diet. For me the problem is my body doesn't recognize the Lyme bacteria, as shown by antibody tests. Lyme has the ability to basically hide from the immune system, and that's where the antibiotics are needed.

I've been on glucosamine, chondroiton, fish oil, celadrin, and a few other supplements for the joint pain and the only thing that's shown any promise is the celadrin. I've also done physical therapy and water therapy to strengthen the muscles. It does help, but not in the middle of winter with the constant weather changes.

I've been on Lyme groups for a decade now. I don't trust most of the alternate therapy's, they seem to be more dangerous then positive. My doctor is also up on them, one of the latest thoughts is to interrupt the biofilm of the bacteria by using blood thinners. I've been trying it for a couple months with no result.

I appreciate your words North Carolina.

12. hoffy

hoffy

I know someone who has battled it, but not as bad. I feel that people suffer too much pain in this country. True, you must be really careful, but adequately treated, pain can be managed, lyme on the other hand... I have had a bad couple of years too, been on pain killers for over a year(got hit twice by cars whilst on a motorcycle, one was totaled, and hit a dog and badly broke my arm, that sucked worse than multiple fractured vertebrae, but i was younger then. I had a friend who got rocky mountain spotted fever and it almost killed him before they found out what it was(bout 20 years ago. I wish you luck, and if your pain isnt being managed, *****, you will probably build a tolerance, and will be able to function, but everybody is different. You have been through it for sure.

13. jame

jame I don't even know....what I'm doing here....

As you know, I'm with you buddy. Lyme disease really sucks the life out of you. I have a hard time doing much more than 15-20 hours/week myself, but if you push hard, you'll surprise yourself.

In my case, the only two things that have given me any true relief are my renewed faith in Christ, and the love of my beautiful wife. If you have the will or ability to be involved in faith and or a great love life relationship, it does help. A lot.

Also, force yourself to get at least a little exercise. Just a few crunches or a walk around the block can energize you. I know you don't feel up to it.

Do it anyway.

PM me or email me. Hell, I'll trade phone numbers with you. Just keep hangin' on. I know this sucks.

Just don't dwell on the dark places. It isn't pretty there.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2010
  14. speedsix

speedsix

Every time I read something like this it makes my own problems seem so petty and small. In a way, you are helping others feel better about our less serious problems so we thank you for that. I mean that, I am not being an ***. You have real problems and it helps other to put things into perspective.

The thing is, it is all relative. Everyone has problems and those problems seem like the end of the world to the person having them. It is only when contrasted with much more serious problems do most of us realize how good we really have it.

Hang in there buddy. Try to put things into perspective and find someone with worse problems than you have. It helps. Also, and this is important, you need to exercise! Even if it hurts, you have to find something that you can do to get your blood moving. Go walk around the mall, buy a machine, join a gym, it doesn't matter but you HAVE to exercise or you will continue to have pain and be depressed.

15. m2hmghb

m2hmghb

I usually go for walks, but the way the weather has been it's just not advisable to do it. I have a pedal exerciser I use every day, I also do stretches for the legs, back, neck, and arms. I also use a 15 pound dumbell for curls. I don't do a lot of it, but I do some.

What I'm hoping for the thread is people who have health problems to come around and share them, I know I started out just talking about myself, but I think everyone on here who is ill could benefit by opening up a bit about what they deal with. Share experiences and advice on the health issues.

16. *ASH*

*ASH* FURBANITE

you know a health issues forum would not be a bad idea , a place where folks can talk and get suggestions and or just talk .

17. NorthCarolinaLiberty

I was once at my wit's end with back pain. The treatment I had for several years seemed to be working until one month it just stopped working. I figured out later that it was actually just psychological suggestion. I thought the treatment would help and it did. I don't know what changed.

I used to be a crazy weightlifter. I injured myself badly when I was fifteen. I stopped weighlifting later in life, lost a lot of weight, and eventually started substituting stretches. I thought stretching was really for sissies until I tried some of the more difficult ones. The one that helps my back the most is sort of a squat. You squat like a baseball catcher, but your feet are flat on the ground. You keep your back straight and head straight. Your thighs are parallel to the floor.

It took me months to balance myself on that one stretch. My wife is from one of those countries where people do this squat stretch all day. Her thighs are actually parallel to the ground. I don't know if I'll ever get to that point, but the stretch I have now sure helps with back pain. It also stretches the lower part of the shin (front of the ankle), which is usually very tight with most Americans.

18. NorthCarolinaLiberty

I'm hardly the expert, but I'll throw in more one because it helps me no end.

I don't know what it is about water, but that type of therapy helps me. I dropped the land weights a long time ago in favor of water weights. Water weights are those light styrafoam pieces that you move in the water. I was surprised by how much muscle I could gain without any pain at all.

19. m2hmghb

m2hmghb

20. Max5

Max5

Have you given any thought to medical marijuana?

Many folks get pain relief when using pot, depending on the malady.
    Might be worth asking your doctor about it if it's legal in your state.

These days you don't have to smoke it get the benefits of THC. There's the smokeless vaporizer, a variety of edibles like cookies, fudge, etc. and also a liquid tincture that can be taken orally. And I'd imagine there's a few more ways to imbibe as well.

Good luck & get well.