Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Crusty Member
10,955 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been using the same Lyman Magnum 2500 autoflow tumbler for about 10 years now. I started out using pet store corn cob, but quickly switched because those chunks were way too big. I switched to Grainger corn cob, then went to using a mix of Grainger corn cob and Harbor Freight crushed walnut.

Perhaps I went too long without tossing the last batch of media, but I was getting real sick of the amount of dust. Brass would come out looking clean, but have so much dust that after loading 100-200 rounds, my right hand finger tips and thumb would be black.

I read that corn cob produces less dust than walnut, so I tossed the media, disassembled my tumbler, hosed it off, hosed off the media separator, and have gone back to 100% Grainger corn cob. I have a load of 9mm tumbling now (with one used dryer sheet). After 3 hours, the media still looks clean, the brass is looking good, and the dryer sheet is just a little dirty looking.

I wonder how often, if ever, do you wash or rinse out your dry tumbler? Should I have done this a long time ago?

·
Registered
235 Posts
This is what I do not saying it's the right way it's just the way I do it. I use walnut media from the pet store with car wax and mineral spirits with a solid lid on top of my vibrating Lyman. I run mine till it looks dark which I usally get about six months out of it and when I change it I wash everything down including my separator. I've had the bag of media that bought a couple years now which it will be empty the next change it out. I usally clean about fifteen hundred cases a month. The mineral spirits helps with cleaning and dust just takes two or three tablespoons.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Yet another reason to go wet. Not only no dust, but you wash your drum with every rinse.
The wet method does clean the brass better but it just seems like more work to me plus a lot more stuff to buy. It just so easy for me to throw my brass in the tumbler when I come in from shooting and after a couple hours lm loading that same brass again plus I been doing it this way for many moons lol.

·
Crusty Member
10,955 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yet another reason to go wet. Not only no dust, but you wash your drum with every rinse.
I'm intrigued by the idea of wet tumbling, but have no interest in having to decap the brass before cleaning or having to setup some kind of large drying rack to lay the cases out long enough to dry the primers/pockets.

Also, I found out long ago, solvents (mineral spirits) and an autoflow tumbler do not mix. The spirits attacked the rubber autoflow hole plug.

·
DFC, MSM, 12 Air Medals.
10,194 Posts
Don’t need a drying rack. I put the brass on a large towel then grab the 4 corners and run the brass back and forth. Then I dump them on another dry towel and lay it on top of my truck bed cover and spread them out a couple of hours later they are dry in the Florida sun. I have a 650 so I deprime the cases. But dry cleaning is a lot easier, I don’t have the dust.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Don’t need a drying rack. I put the brass on a large towel then grab the 4 corners and run the brass back and forth. Then I dump them on another dry towel and lay it on top of my truck bed cover and spread them out a couple of hours later they are dry in the Florida sun. I have a 650 so I deprime the cases. But dry cleaning is a lot easier, I don’t have the dust.
Uncle bob how do you keep your dust down just wondering seems like everyone does it a little different sometimes?

·
DFC, MSM, 12 Air Medals.
10,194 Posts
When I start out with a new batch of media, I like to use 50/50 of corn cob and walnut. Lately I have only been using walnut because the bucket with the corn cob is buried in the garage and hard to get too. But I take the tumbler out side on the driveway with the lid off and run a batch of brass with nothing in it. Gets rid of a lot of the dust. I then have a bottle of NU-Finish car polish and mineral spirits. Since it is new I add about 5 tablespoons rough guess of the mixture into the media and let it run until it all blends in. If you still have dust add a little more if need be. It all depends the size of the tumbler. I also have in my tumbler a cup of steel BB’s. I cut up one or two dryer sheets add the brass and tumble.I then add 2 or a little more of the mixture each time or until it gets saturated, then run one or two loads without adding any mixture.

Reactions: DWB57

·
Registered
7,739 Posts
I have never washed any of my case cleaners. I also really like the Lyman Turbo Media. About 3/4 corn cob 1/4 walnut. It is pre-treated. Very little dust. Lasts a long time and does the job. Expensive for what it is, but effective. I tumble in the garage and separate media outside.

·
Registered
37,601 Posts
I use a wet paper towel & wipe the tumbler bowl out maybe 3x a year? I run it almost every weekend

Reactions: Sniff

·
Consummate Reloader
1,509 Posts
If you dry tumble you get dusty brass, embrace the suck, it doesn't matter. Wear latex gloves when you load if that makes you feel better. I do it if I'm loading lubed lead bullets.

I do clean my tumbler and separator when I change media. Outside with the garden hose for the separator and wet or alcohol soaked paper towels for the tumbler.

If you really want to wet your brass, dump it into a bucket and pour boiling water over the brass. Carefully spin in separator, don't burn yourself, and then dry on towel or leave in separator under a fan. Hot water will evaporate quickly and will do a good job of cleaning your separator. I rarely do this except for lubed 223 brass.

·
Banned
10,098 Posts
I'm intrigued by the idea of wet tumbling, but have no interest in having to decap the brass before cleaning or having to setup some kind of large drying rack to lay the cases out long enough to dry the primers/pockets.

Also, I found out long ago, solvents (mineral spirits) and an autoflow tumbler do not mix. The spirits attacked the rubber autoflow hole plug.

Wet tumbling is not for all. If you want to reload as quickly as possible and see it more as a hassle, stick with dry media.

I just refuse to put dirty brass in my presses, have them in my house, let alone my guns. Some of my guns are very expensive, no way.

I also enjoy the process of reloading in all its details, brass with grid inside and no proper shine is a no-go. :)

1 - 20 of 45 Posts