close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Have You Shot 45 GAP in Your .45 ACP Glock?

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by Captain38, Jan 30, 2010.

1. Captain38

Captain38

I visited one of the best gun shops in my part of the state this week and during the time there, my friend who is not only a salesman, but the shop's gunsmith, asked ME if I'd tried shooting a .45 GAP round from a.45 ACP Glock pistol! He stated that, while he hadn't tried it himself, he was sure it would work. I replied that I had not even considered doing so.

He is much more knowledgeable about all things Glock than am I! I only know definitely that .45 ACP WON'T work in a .45 GAP, but what ABOUT the reverse?

2. Scared_of_zombies

Scared_of_zombies

i would think it would work, but thats a last resort kind of thing.

3. M1A Shooter

M1A Shooter

if i had to i might but only as a last resort. it would depend on the pressure curves and such. i think the GAP relies on higher pressures to operate in a smaller case.

4. G36's Rule

G36's Rule Senior Member

Bad idea.

GAP is loaded to much higher pressures than even +P 45ACP.

5. GRR

GRR

I wouldn't do it. 45 GAP in a 45 ACP would only be held in place by the extractor. SAAMI pressures for the 45 GAP and 45 ACP+p are the same at 23000 psi. 45 ACP is 21000 psi

6. oISHUTupNrocKIo

oISHUTupNrocKIo Glock Lover

I don't like it... Same calibar, but smaller cartridge.

7. G26S239

G26S239 NRA Patron

Plus the 45 GAP has a slightly rebated rim that may not work well with a 45 ACP extractor.

8. G33

G33 Frisky! CLM Millennium Member

GAP -- Gastons tombstone.
    :supergrin::supergrin:

9. Butch

Butch RetiredDinosaur CLM Millennium Member

Fully agree!

Both cartridges headspace on the case mouth and if the .45 GAP rim doesn't find its way under the guns extractor, it will go into the chamber too far to fire (at least in modern guns....which is good*). Then, after the FTF, when the shooter does a tap-rack, what can happen? What do you think the next round might hit?
    [​IMG]

*If this happened in a 1911 or a S&W, the cartridge would probably fire with likely bad results due to the difference in headspace. The reason it would fire is that their firing pins move forward far enough to reach the primer.
    1911:
    [​IMG]

S&W:
    [​IMG]

Here's an example of what can result....click-> .40 in a 10mm

From what I've read, the .45 GAP and the .45 ACP+P work at about the same chamber pressure.....which is a lot less pressure than the 9mm and the .40 S&W work at.

10. KilgoreTrout

KilgoreTrout Impossiblist

i would, depending on my position on the earths surface, and pending calculations.

11. jdeere_man

jdeere_man CLM

I don't know why people insist on shooting cartridges a gun wasn't designed for.

12. G36's Rule

G36's Rule Senior Member

So I am mistaken, or wrong in that GAP SAAMI max pressure is 35,000 PSI?

13. G33

G33 Frisky! CLM Millennium Member

like .40 in 10mm thread?
    :rofl:

14. jaybirdjtt

jaybirdjtt

Ever wonder how Obama and his type get elected? Ever watch "Street Walking" on the Tonight Show with Jay Leno? Being stupid has become a "right" for the average American! Pretty much anyone can buy a gun. And anyone can buy ammunition and shoot it in a gun for which it wasn't intended. What bothers the h*** out of me.....when someone has an accident because they are stupid, they'll hire an attorney and sue the manufacturer and we all, me included, pay some amount more for the product, whatever it is, to cover the costs of the liability insurance the manufacturer has to carry. One reason that private aviation is out of the reach of the general public is that the cost for liability insurance is prohibitive. Yes! 30 years ago it came to about $2000 per Cessna or Piper. Some idiot would get drunk, fly the plane into a cliff and the family would sue. I think the idiot survived, however, and is intentionally shooting 45 GAPs in a 45 ACP!

15. JMag

JMag

To say nothing of actually doing such a thing why even think about doing it?

16. hasselbach

hasselbach

This is so true. My fried was an attorney for American Honda in Torrance California. For years Honda would be sued by morons who got drunk and ended up crashing the ATV or motorcycle. They would hire an attorney and claim that they were never told that driving a motorcycle while drunk was dangerous.

Honda was afraid of losing just one case by a stupid jury, and end up loosing every single suit thereafter based on precedent (the defendant only has to prove that their loss is just like the one that prevailed against Honda)

So every year they would pay out millions to stupid idiot riders who by Darwin's theory should never have been born.

And you wonder why motorcycles, ski lift tickets, boats, jet skis, guns, ladders, etc cost so much?

I say if you are so stupid you get hurt or end up dying, then you shouldn't be making babies to continue your defective gene pool....:shocked:
    [FONT=&quot]
    [/FONT]

17. Butch

You my friend, should run for Governor! :)

18. Butch

Well, I have had two Margarita's (that's a lot for me), and my wife just kicked my donkey in cribbage three times in a row, so I'll say that I THINK you may be wrong.....but that would be based only on my sometimes less than perfect memory (my wife is now:rofl:).....I'll hit Google and see what I can find! :)

19. G26S239

G26S239 NRA Patron

20. Butch