Have you seen the ocean?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Adjuster, Jan 13, 2010.

1. Adjuster

Adjuster

Just curious, I think we have discussed this before. Who currently is the oldest member of GlockTalk that has never seen an ocean? I grew up in West Virginia and didn't see an ocean until I was 12 vacationing in Myrtle Beach. I can remember being excited about watching all the National Geographic, nature type shows etc. whenever they had an ocean theme. I was fascinated by the entire ocean process and especially the thought of waves. I am now 42 living on the ocean, well the Intracoastal Waterway on the other side from the ocean in FL. On a weekly basis here in Florida I will run into someone who has never seen snow. So lets throw snow into the discussion as well.

2. Critias

Critias Freelancer CLM

I lived in California until I was 12 or so, but have been in Kentucky the 30 years since. Flying back out to San Diego last weekend for an academic conference, I was surprised at how the ocean smell immediately felt familiar to me, and of how the sunset over that Pacific was breathtaking even after all these years.

I can't imagine having NOT grown up next to it.

That said, I've had snow every one of the 20 years we've been in Kentucky -- all but two of them have been White Christmases, in fact! I've been around it so long (including all my driving life), it'll be strange to know I won't deal with it nearly as often, once Mrs. Crit and I get down to Texas this summer.

3. itisbruno

itisbruno Devious Member CLM

I've seen it, but won't ever get in it ... fish poop in there

4. Eric

Eric Big Giant Head Staff Member Admin Silver Member

My Dad just had his first white Christmas, such that it was in Dallas, this year. That blows my mind. Eric

5. Adjuster

Adjuster

Eric has your dad ever spent time in some real snow? Knee deep type stuff?

6. vafish

vafish

I didn't see the ocean until I was 19.

But I grew up in Minnesota and saw plenty of snow.

7. Glock&KimberLady

Glock&KimberLady Morior Invictus

Knee deep is real snow? :rofl:

My God, that struck me as funny.

8. wolf19r

wolf19r Problem Solved!

I love the ocean growing up here in Florida. But I have never been in real snow like a white Christmas that I can remember I've seen it at a distance. It did snow here once when I was 1 yoa.

9. hockeyrcks9901

hockeyrcks9901

Grew up in St. Petersburg Florida so I saw the Ocean before I can remember. (Yes, I know it's the Gulf of Mexico on the west coast but we went to the east coast a lot)

Didn't see snow until I was 15 or so. We have family in Connecticut, Vermont, and Massachusetts and I spent a Christmas with them around that time. However, this last week, I saw snow/sleet in Orlando on two occasions and I've had to scrape some 1/16" frost off my windshield each morning(VERY wierd for Florida).

10. Bado

Bado

When I was stationed in Hawaii I brought a Hawaiian buddy home to VA on leave. We went up to NYC for New Years. I was drinking and asked him to drive us back to VA. It snowed 6 inches while we were driving. He loved it and would not let anyone else drive. He kept saying this is so cool over and over.

11. Eric

Eric Big Giant Head Staff Member Admin Silver Member

He has spent a lot of years in a lot of places that get a lot of snow. That is why it surprises me that this was his first white Christmas. Eric

12. HKUSP45Css

HKUSP45Css

I grew up in Ras Tanura, Saudi Arabia, literally feet from the ocean. When we can back to the states it would take almost as long as I had beeb alive at that point to get back to it.

Now I live just an hour or so from the ocean and the only reason I go there is because they have an event on Galveston Island that we attend every year. Prior to that I lived 20 minutes from the ocean and didn't go there for 5 years.

It's just not that cool, in my opinion. Kinda like snow or flowing lava.

13. ipfreely123

ipfreely123 something witty CLM

Been in the pacific and the atlantic.

Eric, Your dad had his first white xmas. That is crazy. A Christmas without snow just does not seem right to me.

14. kcb

kcb Southern Lady

My family moved from Albuquerque, New Mexico to Florida when I was 9 years old.

I fell in love with the ocean...it was love at first sight!

I love the sound of the ocean...I love the smell of the ocean...I love falling asleep and waking up to the sound of the ocean!

I also love the mountains. My perfect place to live would be a mountain home on the ocean!

In high school and college, we spent every possible moment on the beach.

What a wonderful place to grow up!

:hearts:

Edited to add: I have seen snow, too! It is beautiful to see and watch...especially from a window by a warm fireplace!

It's just VERY cold! I don't remember thinking that it was so cold when I was a little girl. But I do now! :supergrin:

Last edited: Jan 13, 2010
  15. Thunderhawk88

Thunderhawk88 NRA MEMBER

Lived 10 minutes from the beach as a kid in Boston, lived 10 minutes from the beach in Ca. (now live about 90 minutes from the beach) and spent 17 months on board Ships while in the Marine Corps.

16. Adjuster

Adjuster

LOL everything is relative to your given situation. I will add to this discussion that I have never seen a rock mountain. Plenty of tree covered rolling mountains in West Virginia but never been out west or anywhere else they have actual granite mountains.

17. glockguy101

glockguy101

Im 31, and have never seen an ocean

:dunno:

18. njl

njl Crusty Member

Native Floridian...I've seen snow once or twice (if you can call it that) in North Florida which was basically snow falling that melted as soon as it hit ground.

Other than that, the closest I've been to snow is having a coke addict for a roommate.

19. Tiny

Tiny

I have lived near the beach for years and always enjoy seeing the reaction when they see the ocean for the first time.

20. Batesmotel

Batesmotel

Grew up in Utah but we had a place in Huntington Beach and a boat in Newport. I spent a good part of my summers in the ocean. I will be in San Diego in a few days for a conference. Even in the winter I know I will go for a walk on the beach and get my feet wet.