close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Have you seen death?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Ender, Jan 20, 2010.

1. Ender

Ender ComfortablyNumb

Was talking to a friend of mine who is fairly young (24), and has seen people die a couple times. I've seen 2 or 3 people die in my 30 years (whether the 3rd died is an unknown after the ambulance took him away...but with the length of CPR and unresponsiveness, I'd say he was dead).

How did it affect you? DID it affect you? Did it change your attitude towards dying, and make you fear it less or more?

One thing my experiences in life has taught me is that there are FAR worse things than death. I hope that when I go, I am able bodied, 80 years old, and am here one second and gone the next. To me, 'not living,' is faaaar worse than dying.

What say you?

2. Fiery Red XIII

Fiery Red XIII Adorkable CLM

As an EMT, agreed. And yes, I've seen it...I just don't dwell on it or think too much on it.

Red

3. norton

norton

I was also an EMT many years ago. Looking back I am glad I was not a parent at the time.

4. puckhead

puckhead

Seen it myself. Pulled a guy out of a river after a night under submerged logs. We were on a rescue that turned to a body recovery. We put him in the bag and had to put him on the hood of out truck to drive out of where we were to get to the coroner. Didnt really affect me, Dont think it affected any one else on the team. We all seemed our usually self with a body laying behind us on the ground.

5. Berto

Berto woo woo

Yes, more than I care for.
    It affects you, sometimes it takes a long time to figure out just how, but it does, esp when the 'dead' are young.

6. major

major Rejected member

Yes. Seeing it with an old person in a hospital is one thing........seeing it out in the world is something else. Saw too many like that as a police officer. Watching someone take their last breath on earth is not a good thing to have to do.

7. Javelin

Javelin Got Glock? Silver Member

Too many times.

8. 4TS&W

4TS&W 2A RKBA 4EVER

Worse... marriage... lol

9. bocephus549

bocephus549 Bo Knows.......

10. tbhracing

tbhracing Senior Member

EMT over 20 years. Way too many times and some f-ed up calls still bother me after over 10 years.

11. FEDLEO

FEDLEO I'm the rootenist tootenist shootenist

When I was in high school I was on the volunteer fire department. I went of a evening to EMT school and became a volunteer EMT for the fire Department. I saw lots of death. Car wrecks mostly (including classmates)but the occasional older person who passed on. The only one I ever saw that bothered me was a call one day involving a woman and three kids. I still remember one was 12, one was 8 and the last was 4 months. We pulled the 4 month old out from under the passenger side front seat. All 4 in the car were dead.

The truck they hit head on the driver of it was fine. Only scratches which was really surprising considering he was towing a bass boat it trailer bent flipping the boat up ontop of the truck. The highway patrol guessed the truck was doing around 50-55mph and the car that everyone died in was doing around 80mph when they hit. This was also based on witness reports including the car she had just passed.

Since then working in LE I have seen a little bit of everything. Not too mention numerous deployments. But I guess that did do something to me considering I still remember it. Especially in that much detail.

12. M&P Shooter

M&P Shooter Metal Member

Death is better then waking up drunk next to a fat chick, I've been there once during senior week in WildWood NJ 1987:crying:

13. JuneyBooney

JuneyBooney

I saw a man beheaded in a car accident after running from the law. Myself and the officer who was chasing the guy ran up to the car after it hit a telephone pole and the guy wire had put the front seat passenger's head on the lap of the back passenger. Two dead and two injured. The back seat guy was freaking out. I think it is something yo may never forget but it kind of fades away. The problem is that after too much of it you get numb from it. I have seen pets die and that still brings tears to my eyes.

14. MarcoPolo

MarcoPolo

A few. An old man who lived alone hadn't been seen in a couple of days, so we went in. He had fallen in the bathroom, naked, and had laid on his side of a couple of days. He was a black man, but the blood had pooled to one side. He was literally black on one side and white on another. It was sad to know he had passed away, but not disturbing.

Back in the days when few people had cell phones, I saw 2 vehicles pulled onto the shoulder of the road (highway) and pulled alongside to see if they needed help. I saw one guy under the car, like he was working on it, and a lady standing near the other (front) car. It took me a second to realize that she was crying hysterically.

I looked back at the man under the car to ask if he needed to use the phone and realized that she had hit and dragged him. His head was crushed. That stuck with me in a strange way, for several days. Funny how the mind doesn't recognize those things right away, they just seem to "fade in" on you.

15. larry_minn

larry_minn Silver Member Millennium Member

Many times. Both before they died and others were already dead. Won't go into showing family we tried when person is DRT.

Actually the only thing I regret is not being there when people I am close do die. I feel its best for them to know I am there. When my dad died I was in next room for maybe half hr and realized (don't know how) he was gone. My mom was sleeping in chair next to dad's bed. When I turned off O2
    she woke up and realized he was gone.

Death in part of life. (unless its children) Doubt I will ever get used to that.

16. G21craig

G21craig

I have seen it, don`t like it, but sometimes the job calls for it, I just try not to think about it too much when it is all over with.

17. JLB768

JLB768 Old & Grumpy Lifetime Member

Ran into a friends house, to find he had sat on the foot of his bed, and put a 12ga under his chin. That picture is still as vivid in my mind today, as it was over 20+ years ago.

18. Isaiah1412

Isaiah1412

Only from a distance, looked like he was playing chess with some old guy. :whistling:

19. Narc1911

Narc1911 Anchora Salutis

I have watched dozen take their last breath, it is never fun.

20. HollowHead

HollowHead Firm member

This, word for word. HH