close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Have you let your AR sit for a day or two before cleaning it?

Discussion in 'Black Rifle Forum' started by JCROWNII, Mar 10, 2010.

1. JCROWNII

JCROWNII

Hello GT,

I am going to the range this weekend with my new AR. Its a S&W M&P15x; I dont know how many rounds im gonna shoot yet but I wanted to ask some questions about cleaning it a day or two later. I dont think im going to be able to clean my AR till monday and im going shooting saturday, do you think this can damage my AR or cause it to malfunction later? When monday comes around im planning on giving it a good cleaning. I like to keep my weapons CLEAN and lubed, so im not used to doing this (leaving a weapon I own unclean after shooting). Or should I just clean it at the range? have any of you ever cleaned your AR's at the range?

Maybe you guys can tell me a method of cleaning that just preps it up for the REAL cleaning whenever you come around to it. Kind of like a maintenance cleaning and not a full cleaning and I can do that at the range until I could clean it.

Also, I bought a grease and intend on using it instead of oil. its Shooter Choice weapon grease. What do you think about using grease rather than CLP or any other oil?

Thanks

Last edited: Mar 10, 2010
  2. polizei1

polizei1 It WAS Quack

While I don't own an AR (yet), I've used them before...so here's my advice. No, it won't hurt anything by not cleaning it right away...do you think the Marines that are deployed have all the time in the world to constantly clean their weapons? Nope...

However! What I would suggest is a quick break down and a quick clean. Try to get as much of the carbon off as you can, because if you clean it right after you shoot, the carbon is much easier to get off. If you wait, it cakes on. So, run some lubed patches down the barrel and everywhere, take a brush and scrub it for 10 minutes. And then whenever you have time, detail clean it the best you can. And I wouldn't worry about taking the bolt or anything apart...

-Cody

3. LA_357SIG

LA_357SIG Milspectacular

I let mine sit for months before cleaning. Not the best practice but....Oh well. Now I do clean my Mosin immediately after each range trip.

4. HAIL CAESAR

HAIL CAESAR Senior Member

It won't hurt a thing to let it sit a couple of days before you clean it.

5. Kentak

Kentak

It's a weapon, not a piece of hamburger. It won't spoil.

Seriously, there's a huge difference between the kind of casual delay of cleaning you're talking about and the kind of neglect that could harm a weapon.

The powder residues and carbon from a day's shooting will not hurt your gun. What's more important than cleaning, is storing the weapon in a reasonably stable environment, meaning, a location that is not overly humid and one that avoids abrupt temperature changes.

Now, I'm not advocating neglecting your gun, but there is a happy medium between obsessive fastidiousness and outright neglect. Start by lubing the gun well before your shooting session. I recommend this product:

[​IMG]

The rule of thumb these days is "run wet," meaning AR's seem to work better with generous lubrication as opposed to too little. (Note, this does not apply to the bore. After cleaning, the bore should be run through with a dry patch.) Yes, the lube will become black and messy inside the gun from carbon residue. It won't hurt the gun, it wipes off. The product above is an outstanding metal protectant as well as a lubricant. Even when dirty, it will protect the metal.

To sum up. There is no *need* to clean your gun immediately after shooting it. Your psyche may need it, but the gun doesn't. I've gone from babying my AR when it was new, to *understanding* that kind of attention isn't required. If I've shot only a couple hundred rounds, I'll just squirt a little more lube into the essential areas and put it away. I'll do a more thorough cleaning after every third or fourth outing.

Edited to add: You'll get a variety of opinions and heated debate about grease vs. oil. I think there are some lube points where grease is okay and some where oil is better. But, I, myself would not go with all grease. I'd stick with the lube/protectant I cited above.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2010
  6. Alaskapopo

Alaskapopo NRA ENDOWMENT

I clean my duty gun after every time I fire it. All of my other Ar's only get cleaned when they need it. I just add more lube before going to the range if it looks real dirty. They have ran fine.
    Pat

7. Jer

Jer ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

If you use corrosive ammo then you need to clean right after you finish shooting for the day. Otherwise it's not critical.

8. RMTactical

RMTactical Battle Born CLM

A day or two? More like a month or two... maybe not regularly, but I am not super uptight about cleaning my AR15's. It is far more important to keep them well lubed. This will insure proper function as well as make cleaning easier.

9. lawman800

lawman800 Juris Glocktor

I have let one AR sit for years before I cleaned it... it is an old Vietnam era SP-1 so it's not like it's going to get any dirtier... and it ran fine when I took it out 10 years later and then I cleaned it. Not that dirty either.

If you use decent ammo that is non-corrosive, as long as you keep your rifle in a controlled humidity environment, it should be fine. But as others have said, the dirt gets dried and caked and harder to remove.

The key is humidity as it react with the chemical residue and can harm your rifle.

10. Achped

Achped

Its already been said, but no, you won't hurt anything. Most ARs are parkerized and have a chrome lined barrel. Hardly anything will rust unless you really neglect it.

11. Oohrah

Oohrah

I agree with lawman, in that any carbon or powder residue will attact moisture. Where I live next to the ocean with moist climate, I attempt to not neglect cleaning. Some of the chrome lined barrels are more forgiving.
    Impinged type actions do intend to carbon up quicker and can be dificult to remove in hard to reach places. The use of Militec 1 kicks most of that build up out. Applied on clean metal with heat at 120 degrees a couple of times, and that carbon will wipe off.

12. RUSH2112

RUSH2112 Big Member

I'd say it depends on which parts. I would never grease all the parts that need lubing, but it is common to grease the bolt. Elsewhere I would use oil or clp, not grease.

13. Novocaine

Novocaine

Try a year. All the while taking it to the range (about 1K rounds total). I live in San Francisco, fog and everything. Not a problem. No rust, no malfunctions, nothing. Cleaned up just fine. I did put an occasional boresnake through the barrel. Rifle was a vanilla 11.5” Bushmaster.

My FAL, Mini14, GI Carbine and Kel-Tec couldn't even come close to handling this kind of neglect.

14. blhar15

blhar15

With non corrosive ammo it is not an issue. I have went weeks without cleaning. Also, do not use grease, stick with oil. I prefer G36 brand, cleaner and lube combination or CLP.

15. tlafrance

tlafrance Missing AZ

Clean? Other than to wipe the carrier and check the gas rings and bore snake, NO. The .MIL over cleans because GI's are lazy and in some conditions it's required for function. In a non combat situation, I seriously doubt the average user can get an AR to malfunction in their lifetime with minimum maintenance. I have an AR that has not been "cleaned" since 1988 when I built it. Guess what, it works fine.

The carbon build up on the bolt and carrier that some folks get all sideways over is a non issue. It self cleans and flakes off coming out the two gas vents in the side of the carrier. It CAN'T impede function by design. So many misunderstand and clean these areas shiny. Waste of effort.

Gas tubes DO NOT need to be cleaned. The hot gas does that for you. The only time I've ever replaced a gas tube is when some mouth breather used pipe cleaners in an effort to clean and got one stuck. If the gas tube is plugged, replace it! BTW in 25 years, I've never seen a carbon obstructed gas tube.

YMMV

Tom

16. B.Reid

B.Reid

Mine have sat for a year or two without cleaning. Unless you are using corrosive ammo it's a non issue.

17. kabob983

kabob983 "Mostly" Dead

I just cleaned one of the 6920's on Tuesday night that I fired in early November. It won't hurt anything.

18. TimP

TimP 1 Proud Infidel

defensive gun gets cleaned regularly, the other guns only get cleaned when they stop working.

19. JCROWNII

JCROWNII

Ok, a lot of you say NOT to use grease, but no one says why. I think in the end It doesn't really matter. Lube is lube, grease just doesn't run and stays where you put it.

I would really like someone to tell me why I should NOT use grease.

20. Kentak

Kentak

Any lube is better than no lube, but I wouldn't go so far as to say lube is lube.

Do most AR makers recommend grease or oil? I believe most specify oil. There's one reason right there. K?