Have you had an employer ask for your college transcripts?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by deadday, Feb 5, 2010.

1. deadday

deadday

Ever? Non-LEO, non-military.....

2. BuffaloXJ

BuffaloXJ

Yes, though I just graduated in August and was applying for a job in my field/research of astrophysics.

Why?

I ordered 6 through my university at no cost, but it was when they got around to them instead of next day (which was $20).

3 were packaged together in one envelope that I opened and can show to anyone who desires.

3 were in their own envelopes, and I left those sealed from the university. While they were addressed to me, the envelope is still sealed and most places should still accept them.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2010

3. hkg3

hkg3 Beer Geek

Most scientific companies require your college credentials to verify you qualifications for the position. Some fields also require you to be licensed in order to perform that type of work.

Transcripts prove you took the appropriate course work and graduated from the college you claim to have attended.

4. glock19_fan

glock19_fan ... --- ...

Not in the last 10 - 15 years.

5. RichJ

RichJ

Yes, to make sure that your degree is in the specific field you are applying for.

In my case, my employer didn't even ask to see it during the interview part of my employment. Some do I guess to look at your grades to see what kind of student you were ect. I only had to provide a copy after I was hired to verify the degree for my job field.

6. HollowHead

HollowHead Firm member

Yes. A local college asked for mine (undergrad, grad and post-grad) when I started teaching a course there. HH

Edited to add: so did the local volunteer EMS when they asked me to teach a course for them.

7. ChuteTheMall

ChuteTheMall Wallbuilder and Weapon Bearer

Only the federal government wanted me to sign a release so they could get it when I was hired. Half a dozen private employers never asked.

I asked once when I was new at hiring people; I found the info relatively useless, other than to confirm the fact that the applicant had been to college and had taken the usual courses. It's no substitute for verifiable relevant experience and solid references.

8. Carrys

Carrys Inquisitive

Yep, when I was younger.

I think most places simply figure all your other work places did it when you applied, so why bother if you've had a stable work history and had continuing education that would require the courses as prerequisites.

9. kestrou

kestrou Pin Member #4

Only for the very first job I got after I finished my undergrad - after that it was always examples of prior work.

kestrou

10. Steve0853

Steve0853

I didn't, but its been required for the last several years. I've actually seen a new employee sent out the door because he couldn't produce evidence of a degree that he claimed.

11. vafish

vafish

My current employer asked, but they were paying the tuition.

12. VANWALL

VANWALL

The city did not check on this person:

City of Cleveland suspends department supervisor for lying on application
    By Mark Gillispie, The Plain Dealer
    January 16, 2010, 9:00AM

The director of the city of Cleveland's Department of Consumer Affairs has been suspended for five days without pay for lying on her employment application when she was hired in 2003.

A report by WOIO Channel 19 on Wednesday said Omayra Feliciano wrote on her employment application when she was hired as a consumer affairs supervisor that she had graduated from Cleveland State University.

WOIO reported that Feliciano only attended the school for six months in 1989.

Andrea Taylor, spokeswoman for Mayor Frank Jackson, said a subsequent internal investigation by the city has found that Feliciano's college experience is "substantially less than what we were originally led to believe."

"The mayor now is reviewing this information to determine what further action should be taken," Taylor said.

She did not elaborate. The employment application Feliciano filled out in June 2003 along with a r sum in her personnel file states that she earned a bachelor's degree in education from Cleveland State.

Feliciano, who earned $70,000 in 2009, could not be reached for comment.

She was promoted to director of the Department of Consumer Affairs after her predecessor, Angel Guzman, died in December 2008.

Feliciano's five-day suspension is scheduled to begin Jan. 25, Taylor said.

http://blog.cleveland.com/metro/2010/01/cleveland_city_supervisor_susp.html

13. MtBaldy

MtBaldy Obie Wan, RIP

Yes, school board wanted them before they hired me as a 6th grade math teacher.

14. viniglock

viniglock

Yes and have them ready upon request in moment notice.

Have you been asked for them?
    IF yes, and you have them no problem.
    If you do not have them, your college for a fee should forward to prospect employer and that does not represent a problem.

A problem would be if you do not have the required training or education and or you had indicated, you have college credits and or a degree.

Interesting, I just received my wife transcripts today and was putting them together for future used.

Best of luck.

[​IMG]

15. blueiron

blueiron

I was asked when I applied for a government job. I simply had the school send the analyst a certified copy directly.

16. blackjack

blackjack

The degree was a job qualification requirement for my last two employers (schools) so they got transcripts. The only other time was for commissioning as an Army officer but that was concurrent with graduation so it was no big deal.

17. wjv

wjv RIP Stan Lee.. . .

Yes, but not in a while.

I have had to bring in my diploma so they could photocopy it and put in in my personnel file.

18. AAshooter

AAshooter

She should be fired.

19. Stubudd

Stubudd

Never

20. Isaiah1412

Isaiah1412

My current job asked if I could supply proof of graduation. When I told them I didn't graduate our HR manager just said "Oh...that makes this simpler, usually we spend weeks calling about people". :rofl: