close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Have you ever?

Discussion in 'Caliber Corner' started by cyrsequipment, Mar 11, 2010.

1. cyrsequipment

cyrsequipment Angry

Have you ever changed your mind about a caliber based on an argument by someone on the internet?

I've been reading these "discussions" for a little while, and people seem to already have their opinions and will defend them regardless of what the discussion seems to be about.

2. Glock30 Guy

Glock30 Guy XD40

I try to take all of the unofficial info and compare it to hard data. I used to have 9mm, 380, 38 spl, and decided that 40 and 45 cals were better for me. Every situation and skill level is different. Some just want a small gun others want cannons. I also read lots of online postings and that did help to confuse me but also made me look closer at hard data.

3. cyrsequipment

cyrsequipment Angry

I subscribe to the theory of putting rounds into a threat until the threat isn't there anymore. If those rounds are 9mm .40 .45 10mm or whatever... just keep shooting.

4. Jeepnik

Jeepnik

Nope. My decision is based on what I "know" works. Whether they be jello junkies or morgue monsters, most are just repeating what they have read, or "heard". I'll take what I've "seen". .45 acp, flavor depending on the likes and dislikes of the individual handgun.

5. G20gunner

G20gunner

cyrsequipment has it just about right. I happen to like the Makarov pistol for defense. I can shoot very accurately with it, and with nine rounds of the old Corbon 95gr. load doing 1150fps, used as cyrsequipment described, it will get the job done. I know many people sneer at the 9x18, but I doubt anyone would walk away from eight or nine hits from a Makarov with that load. Are there better? Of course. But I like it and wouldn't let anyone dissuade me from using it.
    I never look down on anyone's choice of caliber. If they are comfortable with it, that's what counts. You know what they say, a 32 in the pocket is better than a 45 in the car.
    Now the 25acp is another matter:tongueout:.

G20gunner

6. PlasticGuy

PlasticGuy

I've tried some new calibers and types of ammo based in part on what I've read on the internet. That's not to say I take advice here blindly. I have tried out loads that other guys report good accuracy or reliability with though, and have adapted some after testing. For instance, it was research here on on AR15.com that led me to adopt the Black Hills 77 grain otm load for my 5.56 rifles. Accuracy testing on paper and terminal testing on coyotes has convinced me that my choice is a good one.

If you're not prepared to learn new things here, why bother?

7. cyrsequipment

cyrsequipment Angry

Learning new things is certainly one thing, but I was referring to (and wasn't clear in my original presentation, sorry ) the rants by some people against (or for) one caliber or another...

8. glock2740

glock2740 Gun lover.

No. I do my own research.

9. diode

diode

I got on the Makarov bandwagon in the early '00 when you could buy a Bulgarian for 100.00, pick-o-the-litter was 125.00 . Great guns, accurate and I have NEVER had a misfeed or misfire from any of the ones I began to collect. Fast forward into today, good ones are scarce, ammo is scarce but the gun is still very good. When I visited Antwerpen, Belgium several years ago, I had a chance to visit with a Russian Cold War warrior who worked for the client I was working with and had served in E. Germany. Eventually at the fall of the wall, he made his way west. He told me at dinner when I brought up the subject of the Makarov 9X18, that his belief on this weapon was that "The Makarov is only good for shooting oneself in the head". You never like your issued weapon, only if it is your choice, is it a good one.

jb

10. Free Radical

Free Radical Miembro Antiguo CLM

I was a fence sitter on 9mm. for a while. I have come to see that it is a real player as a self defense caliber.

11. G20gunner

G20gunner

I agree that the original 9x18 loading of a 93gr. fmj bullet doing only about 1033fps is a poor choice for police or military use. But modern hollow point loads bring it up a good couple of notches for PD. That's true of all military cartridges using ball ammo, except for the good ole' 45acp. The 45acp has a BIG bullet no matter what way you cut it:supergrin:.

12. RyanNREMTP

RyanNREMTP Inactive/Banned

I haven't yet. What works for one person may not work for another. I went with the calibers that were most useful to me. That was .40 and .223. Now for the 9mm and the .357 sig, I came to those for different reasons. I chose the 9mm because I wanted something my wife could handle. And the .357 sig is a great round for me since I didn't have to buy a different gun, just a different barrel.

Other rounds, what limited rounds I have shot, just didn't do anything for me so I don't use them. Plus it gets confusing when having multiple rounds for me.

13. cyrsequipment

cyrsequipment Angry

I used to be a Firearms Instructor for a Probation department, we had 9mms and .40s.. we had a couple instances when the officers loaded the wrong round into their guns... The .40s in the the 9mm guns was funny... the 9mm into the .40 guns was frightening... :wow: :faint:

14. 750SpiritRdr

750SpiritRdr

he said morgue monsters....LOL :rofl:

15. Alaskapopo

Alaskapopo NRA ENDOWMENT

I used to be a huge Marshall and Sanow fan as well as being a muzzle energy junkie. But after reading the works of Dr. Fackler, The IWBA and Dr. Roberts in a fair light with critical thinking I came around to the truth.
    Pat