Glock Talk banner
41 - 50 of 50 Posts

· Banned
3,808 Posts
Everything he has posts is BS.

18 years training he does not know if Federal or State law takes precedence in a defensive shooting.

He calls it a CCL, when here in Texas it is CHL (old) or LTC (new).

No law/regulations says head shot is murder.

No law/regulations says cannot engage past 15 yards.

No law/regulations require retreat.

And then there is the claim he was trained Mozambique.

I bet he was also a Navy Delta Seal too.
I spend a lot of time reading and keeping up with TX carry and use of force laws, I am always learning, but I have learned not many people know where to find the statutes or what case law backs up things they know, or were taught. I still like to ask because I find things I missed all the time.

I would truly like to meet Kingathurhk, I have gone round and round with him her on GT, but I know I would enjoy have a cup of coffee, or a beer or 2 with him.

· Banned
16,936 Posts
I'm not licensed in TX, but you might want to take a closer look at its laws:

Here are the TX LTCH Laws
Yeah. I just default to training, after nearly 2 decades of that is hard not to. I just don't want to get jammed up.

· Banned
16,936 Posts
I spend a lot of time reading and keeping up with TX carry and use of force laws, I am always learning, but I have learned not many people know where to find the statutes or what case law backs up things they know, or were taught. I still like to ask because I find things I missed all the time.

I would truly like to meet Kingathurhk, I have gone round and round with him her on GT, but I know I would enjoy have a cup of coffee, or a beer or 2 with him.
Would not hurt my feelings. I am pretty amiable in real life unless provoked without cause. And I do go through 2-3 cups of coffee a day, depending on the potency.

Reactions: Old Buzzard 74

· Banned
3,808 Posts
Yeah. I just default to training, after nearly 2 decades of that is hard not to. I just don't want to get jammed up.
Do you have carry insurance, if so a call to them would be a quick way to know what the people defending you would suggest.

· Banned
16,936 Posts
Do you have carry insurance, if so a call to them would be a quick way to know what the people defending you would suggest.
Yes, I carry Umbrella Insurance through USAA. Before that, I carried Professional Liability Insurance, as anyone performing an LEO job should unless they are foolish. They keep offering me my professional liability insurance, and I keep telling, 'What part of retired, do you guys not get.'

Reactions: mrasgt

· Time to Go....
413 Posts
Good day folks.

As some here know, I'm a retired LEO after 38 years on the job. There's lots of good advice here. There's lots of knowledgeable folks here too. Let me throw my .02 cents worth in.

Everyone that makes the decision to carry a firearm needs to get training from a qualified instructor. Some states require this AND a shooting test with their hand gun. My state, Maine, does not require the shooting test. We used to be required to get a permit to carry but we recently voted in Constitutional Carry.

Regardless of any states laws, please, please go get some good training that includes both law and hands on shooting training. Almost every state has a so called self defense law, per se. Read those laws several times a year after you've received good instruction. Read any case law you can find with your state's cases AND other jurisdictions. Here is some more stuff you should do:

1. Go get Mas Ayoob's self defense books. He is one knowledgeable, understandable and experienced expert.

2. Read, read, and read some more.

3. There is something called the "Castle Doctrine". States adopt different parts of this Doctrine, some use the whole thing. Maine refers to and adopts part of this Doctrine. I hear Texas not only adopts the whole Castle Doctrine, but it may have added to it. The best versions include laws that state under the Doctrine that a party defending ones shelf and/or home can not be sued civilly for his/her defensive actions once he/she has been cleared legally as justified. BUT, be aware, not many places affords that protection.

4. As someone else has mentioned, consider a good insurance policy that protects you if, God forbid, you have to use your firearm in a defensive incident. There are several companies that offer this type of coverage. Basically there are two different types. The first is the type that guarantees cash bail and an experienced trial lawyer well versed in self defense cases will be there before you can warm up a seat in the booking room. These types also guarantee legal expenses for your criminal side as well as the civil side up to a certain amount that you chose to pay for. NOW, the other type of coverage is more of an indemnification arrangement. These types of policies will not only cover you with the bail thing and legal expenses, it will cover any civil award against you in a civil suit against you. Again, you chose what monetary level you want to be protected from. As you can probably guess, this type of coverage is usually more expensive.

Please note: I AM NOT AN ATTORNEY AND I DONT CLAIM TO KNOW ALL THERE IS TO KNOW ABOUT THE ABOVE COMMENTS AND TYPE OF COVERAGES. I JUST WANTED TO TOUCH ON SOME HIGH LIGHTS.

One other thing: there has been debate on this forum and others about what may happen to you with the responding police in a self defense situation. Your training will advise you, but know this: you stand a good chance of at least being disarmed by the police and handcuffed, not to mention the real possibility of being transported, in police custody, in handcuffs to the police station. You'll receive training on how to call in your incident and what to say that I wont go into here. That's why good, on going training is so important. In a deadly encounter where you have taken someone's life in self defense, weather it is justified or not, you WILL need a lawyer, period. So, think about coverage, think hard.

One thing I have learned, some folks think their home owners insurance will cover them if they smoke someone on their property. This is not true as almost all home owner's policies do not cover intentional acts. Using a firearm to defend ones shelve is, of course, an intentional act, justified or not. There are others that claim that they have an umbrella policy that will cover them should they use deadly force to defend themselves. I have almost no knowledge about umbrella policies, But, I have asked my insurance guy about this and he told me to go get specific coverage for self defense protection.

Well, as usual, I got long winded here when I didn't mean to. But, there is so much out there to learn about in protecting yourself not only from a bad guy, but protect you from the system.

If you decide to arm your self, it's up to you to get trained, learn everything there is to learn and not just " John Wayne" yourself into casually carrying a firearm.

I guess this ended up being a lot more than my .02 cents worth, didn't it:)

I hope I haven't offended anyone in my comments, and I hope if someone thinks I said something really misleading that they will come along and add to the conversation, but remember, I did not begin to cover all the issues in this particular question in this particular forum, I just wanted to give you some things to think about and then do you own research.

Let's be careful out there,

God Bless.

Mark

· Registered
2,985 Posts
Common sense if someone is shooting at you shot back ,find a place to hide protect family. Learn the difference between cover and concealment. Can a guy with a cane cover 15 yards in the same time as a young punk?

· Super Moderator
20,188 Posts

· Banned
3,808 Posts
I wish that when a person made the decision to carry, they would also make the decision to learn both safe gun handling, and the use of force laws where they carry.

I also know I can wish in one hand and poop in the other and see which one fills up first.

· ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
20,726 Posts
Common sense if someone is shooting at you shot back ,find a place to hide protect family. Learn the difference between cover and concealment. Can a guy with a cane cover 15 yards in the same time as a young punk?
So, you can't shoot somebody with a knife, and if they have a gun you have to wait until they are shooting at you?

Your post indicates that you have no clue how many variables are involved or what the actual legal requirements are to use lethal force

41 - 50 of 50 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.