Glock Talk banner

Have you ever read YOUR State's firearms/self defense laws?

1909 Views 49 Replies 30 Participants Last post by  Warp
One thing that I notice frequently on this forum is people starting threads asking "What are the gun laws in this state?" or " Is it okay for me to carry here?"

When these questions get asked it seems that one of the more common responses is "Well some random unnamed cop/ gun store employee/ my concealed carry instructor whose class I took 10 years ago said....."

So I'm wondering how many people here have actually troubled themselves to sit down and read their state's black-letter self-defense laws.
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

· Scottish Member
15,269 Posts
Case law is important. There was a case in Colorado where a man was arrested and charged with felony menacing because he slapped his hand on his hip or his gun was under his jacket well he was arguing with the man about a debt that the man owed. He wasn't convicted but the amount of hassle that he went through was enough to make me very careful how I interact with people when I'm carrying a gun
Yes - and some lawyers will argue that (in the US) case law is functionally the only law. As case law is how statutory/codified law is interpreted - which may, may not, be the intent of the authors of the (statutory/codified) law. YMMV.

Reactions: Lunch Meat
1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.