Have you ever left your gun at home?

Discussion in 'Carry Issues' started by Jade Falcon, Feb 9, 2010.

1. Jade Falcon

Jade Falcon WTF EREN?!

So those of us that carry, I'm sure, have done this. Yesterday, I had a busy day, and once I got back to my house, I took my S&W out of the holster and put it on top of my TV while I had something to eat. Once I was done, I cleaned up, and headed for the Library to check my email, and also, to the pharmacy to pick up a prescription. It wasn't until I got back home over 2 hours later, that I turned around after putting a bag down on my desk, that I noticed my S&W still sitting on top of my TV. It bummed me out! I was lucky I didn't go reaching for it in a critical moment, only to find it not there.

Now today, I'm visiting my parents for dinner, and they require that I remove it while I'm in thier house ( :upeyes: ). I've been here at a different library near their house, checking my email for the past hour, and just realised with a feel beneith my sweatshirt, that I left the damn little thing in my mother's nightstand drawer. Dammit. Well, at least I have my CRKT.

How often do you forget yours, and have you ever forgotten or needed it at a critical moment?

2. montrose1911

montrose1911 Senior Member

I have alot of Cop friends who have left there duty weapons in bathrooms while dropping a load! I've never done it, but it's funny when they tell me about it. Just be more careful in the future!

3. TnGlocker12

TnGlocker12

If I have something that I don't want to forget to carry somewhere, I'll put it on top of my car keys. If I leave the outside water on for some reason, I'll leave my car keys on the hydrant so I won't forget to turn it off. It works for me.

4. KiloBravo

KiloBravo NRA Life Member

I honestly have NEVER forgotten my weapon anywhere or forgotten it when leaving the house. *Knock on wood*

Now watch my jynx myself for saying that, lol. I just keep it in the holster from the time I wake up until the time I get ready for bed. I def. feel very weird if it is not on me. It is like me remembering my wallet and wrist watch. I know something does not feel quite right if I don't have all of those things.

5. eXistenZ

eXistenZ Play it.

Nope. I run through my list in my head everytime. Gun, Mag, Cell, Wallet, Knife, Keys, Chapstick. Check.

6. Jade Falcon

Jade Falcon WTF EREN?!

That's the thing with me: I'm so used to carrying it, that sometimes, I forget it's even there (though my "Sixth Sense" is always attuned to it). So when I feel my holster there, I automatically think of my weapon. It just so happens that the holster is empty.

It's good in suggesting a checklist, thank you (gun, light, keys, etc).

7. KiloBravo

Yeah, I so hear you on that. The mental checklist has always worked for me too. I keep everything that goes with me everyday on my nightstand. Everything except for the spare mags, flashlight and gun go into a little wooden box. The cell phone goes on the charger right next to it. That way, when I suit up in the morning, I know I have everything I need once the little box is empty and there is nothing else left around it.

8. KiloBravo

Same here my friend. :wavey:

9. Caver 60

Caver 60

Only been legally carrying in this state for 6 years, although I've legally carried in other states before that.

In this state, I can only recall forgetting it once. Fortunately I was only about 1/2 mile from home, so I went back and got it.

10. KappaAlphaASU

KappaAlphaASU

I haven't ever forgotten mine. When I come home and empty my pockets, I also take my gun off and sit it with all of the other stuff. When i get ready to leave, it's all right there.

11. Lior

Lior GUNS=FREEDOM

Since carrying a handgun, I have only ever unintentionally left it at home once, which was in its safe.

12. High Altitude

High Altitude

I left mine at home a few days ago. I was 10min from my house before I realized it.

I turned around, went home and got it. I was late but at least if something happened that day I would have a fighting chance.

13. MrVvrroomm

MrVvrroomm

If I do, I've got one stashed in my cars, my motorcycles, wife's car...lol

14. Walt408

Walt408

I pocket carry my S&W 642 and never forgotten it. At night, take off my jeans with everything in the pockets and set them on a chair next to the bed. In the morning, put on jeans, everything is ready to go. When I change jeans, all pocket contents (keys, wallet, knive, gun, ...) are placed together ready to be put back into pockets. This works for me.

15. 4runner freak

4runner freak

Nope.
    I have forgotten my phone, bluetooth, work key card but I will never forget my 26.

16. RussP

RussP Super Moderator Moderator

Nope, I use a checklist...carry over from doing the pilot thing.

17. KiloBravo

That is awesome. How long did you fly for?

18. Orive 8

Orive 8

Nope, 25 years of EDC.

19. JuneyBooney

JuneyBooney

I check and double check everything. I had a close cop friend leave his gun on top of the car and drive off...it stayed on 'til he realized it was missing. It happens to the best of us...especially when under stress.

20. Ahmid

Ahmid CLM

I have forgotten my service pistol several times. It has always been when not on patrol duty just inside work.