close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Have you ever just packed up and left town for a day or two?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Andy W, Jan 30, 2010.

1. Andy W

Andy W

Have you ever packed up a bag, got in the car, and left town for a day or two? I would like to do this when I get the time. I have never actually been gone overnight but I have left for most of the day, just taking the back roads and stuff without a particular destination in mind. Even here in Kansas, I see some pretty cool stuff. To me, it is the ideal way to relax; kind of a mini-vacation. Does anyone else find this to be an enjoyable thing to do?

2. mr smithglock

mr smithglock

My X Girlfriend did that too me. But she never came back?

3. certifiedfunds

certifiedfunds Cosmopolitan Bias

Yeah, but my wife would kill me.

4. mhambi

mhambi κολασμένος

One of my very favoritest things to do. In fact I'm about due.... :supergrin:

"Not all who wander are lost"

5. TheBelly

TheBelly

I've done this with a small backpack attached to the rear fender of my Sportster. I also slept under the stars that night.

It was a very freeing experience.

6. tbhracing

tbhracing Senior Member

Thats one nice thing about living in California, pack up and jam over to Vegas, Laughlin, Tahoe, Reno, Lake Havasu or Mexico.

We always joke about The 3 Roadtrip Essentials- cell phone, credit card and gun. I guess we need to make it the 5 and add GPS and iPod.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2010
  7. bearshoegun

bearshoegun

I think that's called going on a weekend trip.

When I was in Germany I would hop on the train and take off to a new city in a different country every so often when I got bored. But usually they were planned otherwise finding a spot to sleep at the last minute would be expensive.

8. cheney

cheney

I've done that for decades. See things, enjoy new places and new people.

9. Smashy

Smashy

I'm on the verge of doing just that.

10. HollowHead

HollowHead Firm member

I do it everytime I see the boys in the white shirts and black pants on bicycles wearing the "Elder So-n-So" nametags approaching. HH

11. Starbelly

Starbelly

Yep, but ended up in Nashville for months before I came back home. Kind of fun and kind of strange at the same time.

12. BEER

BEER bad example

yep used to do it all the time. i'd wake up in the middle of the night or something and just say **** it and hit the road. sometimes i'd plan on heading to the beach or somewhere relatively close but i always seemed to wind up in the hill country.

there's nothing like sitting around a lone campfire with a good rifle, a loyal dog, and absolutely no obligations.

hell now that i'm suddenly single again i might just do it again in the next few days. i just wish it was summertime, i'd kill to be toobin down the comal tomorrow afternoon.

13. Steel Head

Steel Head Tactical Cat

fishin trip:whistling: Ive been known to be gone for months time

14. tbhracing

tbhracing Senior Member

One of the best drives is on US80 through the Sierra Nevada National Forest/Truckee/Tahoe area in July.

15. 757CC

757CC

I do that frequently. Just throw some cloths in the saddle bags and hit the road on the harley! End up where ever and clears the head.

16. Cali-Glock

Cali-Glock Mountain Man

Yes. My wife and I used to do that all the time. I am planning on a short trip in February... but i will have our stops/evenings planned out.

It is fun to simply take off and see where you end up. All back roads roaming about till you find a fun place to hang out for a while.

17. sopdan

sopdan

I do it every once in a while. Last week I hopped over to NH for a few days, the week before that I jumped down to Orlando for a few days to visit an old friend that I hadn't seen in many years. (talked to him in the early afternoon, and was down there that night)

Planning on Oktoberfest in September (I was supposed to go last fall, but there was a freak occurrence of two senior guys wanting the same random week of vacation at the last second). :(

Of course, I have no wife/kids/gf, and my job enables me to travel like that. Otherwise I'd probably have a pretty lame life (travelwise). ;)

I definitely know what you mean about just driving around for the day. When I lived in NH, I would often just drive to the mountains/back roads, and get myself lost. When I wanted to go home, I turned on the GPS and found my way. I also found that even the newest atlas can give very misleading info as far as what are "roads." This is also how I found my "honey hole" for duck hunting... it was a public waterfowl area, but a little out of the way off a dead end road, and you wouldn't know about it unless you drove by or looked at a good map. I saw a kayaker one time, and that was it. (when she finally noticed me she gave a wave and apologized for paddling by my decoys... around here it'd probably be some hippie or yuppie that would be offended)

Last edited: Jan 30, 2010
  18. Riggs23

Riggs23

I did that once when I lived in Florida....it was fun. I ended up in a neat little place called Alligator Point. I turned around and went home to my wife. Total time gone: 6 hours. Still kinda fun though. Heard some great tunes on the radio and had a nice drive.

I decided I needed to get home when I looked out to realize the road was so narrow that I had about 1 foot between my car and Gulf of Mexico. I hate water.

19. The Maggy

The Maggy

I got in my car one night and started driving South West. Two days later I hit the mexican border in New Mexico and decided it was time to turn around. I kind of want to do it again now that I think of it.

20. Just1More

Just1More

I would if I didn't have a damn dog. Nice dog, but I've essentially lost 10 years of freedom. Will NEVER buy another one!