close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Have You Ever Gone Back "Home"...

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Glock&KimberLady, Jan 27, 2010.

1. Glock&KimberLady

Glock&KimberLady Morior Invictus Silver Member

...and been bowled over by the changes?

I left California in 2004, and the few times I've been back, I have been absolutely flabbergasted at the changes. Some of them are merely contextual, as I moved from the suburbs to the boonies, but some of them are really crazy.

When I left Simi Valley, it had something like 150k people. Now it's over 300k. An entire area "back in the hills" which was suitable for dirtbiking and such is now completely built up with houses.

There really is "rush hour" traffic on the 118 freeway.

The cornfield that I played in is now host to Kohl's and other assorted strip mall shops.

Old places I visited are gone. I just found out they bulldozed the entire KMart complex and the drive-in too.

Anyone else been staggered by changes to their hometown?

2. Atlas

Atlas transmogrifier

You, "flabbergasted" ???

Yep, I'm home only 7-10 days per year and it just keeps growing, no end in sight.
    I've been home on occasion over the years and found myself on a street and in a district that I'd never seen before.
    That's kinda weird.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2010

3. Glock&KimberLady

Glock&KimberLady Morior Invictus Silver Member

I believe I was rendered speechless, an exquisitely rare condition for me.

4. Isaiah1412

Isaiah1412

Not to the degree you're describing but yes, going back to the area I grew up in is always a bit of a shock.

5. Annoyedgrunt

Annoyedgrunt Dry Heat my ASS

Went back to suburban New Jersey once, and didn't remember the people being so rude or traffic EVERYWHERE...

6. janice6

janice6 Silver Member

I often visit my Sister in my "old hometown". No one know my family anymore and I know nothing about the town including the street changes, etc. I finally felt I had no more connection to it. You really can't "go back". No one knows you, no one cares about you, You have no evidence you were there.

7. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday CLM

No, I don't ever want to go back. I just can't do it. It would ruin the good memories I have.

8. Another Miller

Another Miller prankster

Yup, couple years ago grabbed the family and went to see my old neighborhood in youngstown.It had changed completely.The 3 story house was still there but the neighborhood had gone to crap. They had a rot chained up out where the garage used to set and trash strewn everywhere.

There used to be an amusement park nearby,I grew up walking there and spending many a day there. Its all gone,burnt down long ago and sold off.There used to be a huge mineral and gem store, addamas,its gone and all the minerals,rocks and the other things given to the school.Alot of the pizzarias we went to on friday nite,gone.

millcreek had opened up and roads,traffic lights everywhere.Used to walk the trails every weekend and stop by the old mill museum on the way into the amusement park.Finished the day with a swim in the river.Not any more.

9. scwine

scwine ^%(#@$^!!!!!!!

Yep, the trees are a lot bigger, as well as everything else looks smaller.

10. byf43

byf43 NRA Endowment Life Member

I've gone back to the hills, in Tennessee, a few times.

What really brought back memories, is going back to a little town called Parrotsville, to the farm where my Grandmother lived.
    The little house (that my Dad was born in) is still standing, and a young couple was living in it, but, they were making plans build a brick 'rancher' on a hill, about 800 yards off the road, on a hill, beside a cedar tree.

I'd move back to Tennessee in a heartbeat!!!!!!!
    (And I'd love to buy that 230 acre farm!!!)

11. alphacat

alphacat account deleted

I left Dayton, Ohio about 5 years ago and I don't ever want to go back.

12. MetalSlugIV

MetalSlugIV

My "hometown" has a coalition of old people who's sole purpose in life is to resist change (even beneficial change) at all costs. So when I go and visit my parents not much has changed. Then again where I live in the Midwest isn't exactly growing as far as I know.

13. smullen

smullen

I have a cabin down in a rural area of Southern Missouri and alot of my mom's family lives down that way, but evern futher down in the "Sticks"... Sadly, I only get down that far (by my mms family) like 1-2 times a year... Each time the new growth shocks me... Pretty soon, its not going to be ""The country" any more, it'll just be another city...

14. Bruce H

Bruce H

The only thing that changes around here is the numbers on the farm equipment. Did have a few that bought land then complained about the large hog farm here. They didn't last long. Several have bought land to hunt on that is in CRP. Since things have gone south they are bailing out because they can't afford it.

15. Berto

Berto woo woo

...and muzac filled the air, from Seneca to Cuyahoga Falls.

16. RioKid

RioKid

It can be exciting to go back, but mostly it just hurts. It took me a long time figure out that it is best to just not go back.:crying:

17. 69stingray

69stingray 427 ci

I grew up in the '60's in a small town in the Tennessee hills on a US highway, couple of country stores, bank, gas station, post office etc... My grandparents, aunts, uncles etc... lived there. They're all gone now and after my Dad died in '85 we sold the old home place. The state decided to re-route the highway several years ago and it no longer goes thru the town. So now all of the business are gone my Dad's old house is abandoned (as are most houses) and in poor condition. I lived there most of my life and now other than a couple of my childhood friends who still live there, I don't know anyone. Nope you really can't go back home.

Ray

18. Brigrat

Brigrat

I left the town that my wife and I grew up in almost four years ago and have never been back. My wife and kids have gone back to visit her parents but I haven't had the chance. I am not sure that I want to (norther CA is not for me...never has been). I am sure it has changed; but not in a good way.

19. winglock

winglock

Yup, my home town changed. It went from having several businesses (grocery,service stations, restaurants, clothing,etc) to nearly nothing. Our population went from about 450 down to maybe 400 or less. It once was a small nice town now it is a dump. :crying:

20. geminicricket

geminicricket NRA Life member

I'm not far from the town I grew up in. It was in the middle of a metropolitan area. The town was mostly built out by the time I came along, and most things in it haven't changed much. I still occasionally go to see a football game in the same stadium I could hear when I was a child

The private cemetery my parents are in is an acre set aside from farmland my ancestors acquired right after the Civil War. After my grandmother died, no one farmed that land. Possession of it passed to an uncle and then to a cousin, who retained it undeveloped as long as my aunt lived. She died a few years ago and the cousin sold it. Visible from the little open-air tabernacle in the cemetery now the pastureland sprouts McMansions in the place of feral land. I won't be surprised to hear some time soon of vandals destroying the markers in the cemetery.