Have You Ever Been On A Jury ?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by 686 AR15 G17Fan, Jun 15, 2020.

1. 686 AR15 G17Fan

686 AR15 G17Fan

I was once. Won't go into details but it was very enlightening.

What got me thinking about that experience is the police shooting in the Wendy's parking lot.

During the trial, when the defense attorney presented evidence or made an argument I thought "omg, this guy is being unduly persecuted", BUT then the plaintiff attorney presented some evidence and I thought "WOW, that pos needs to be punished severely". Same thing happened when they made their closing arguments.

I've been bouncing back and forth on the Wendy's shooting since, like the trial, one never seems to get the whole picture in one shot. All the evidence is there but you only get it a little at a time and only the evidence the person telling the story wants you to hear. There's also the aspect that, as a layman, I don't know the ins and outs of the law and police procedures, and must be educated on some of the finer points before I can even think of making an intelligent assessment of what happened.

Not exactly sure what the purpose of this post is except to say I hope everyone takes a pause before making a judgement based on only partial facts, raw emotion, or ignorance

2. Ramjet38

Ramjet38 Mentally Frozen

Twice on jury duty.
    I think the cop is getting crucified unfairly.

3. Bomber Nav

Bomber Nav

Only a military court martial.

snowbird.40 likes this.
  4. slym2none

slym2none

Never. I tell the clerk of court that I can't stay long that day, I have a psychiatrist's appointment to keep in the afternoon.

5. Current Resident

Current Resident

Never and I am disappointed. I would make an excellent juror.

Doc Holliday and Rotn1 like this.
  6. Pima Pants

Pima Pants Urine Idiot

I was on a Grand Jury once, several years ago. We handed down several True Bills and a couple of No Bills. One of the No Bills was on a sex offense that did not appear to meet the criteria of the statute. It seemed like a reach by the prosecutor.

snowbird.40 and 686 AR15 G17Fan like this.
  7. sciolist

sciolist On the Border

I've been on 3.

snowbird.40 likes this.
  8. Critch

Critch

I have been on several juries. 3 or 4 civil cases and one criminal case. One of the civil cases was interesting. A guy was drunk on a motorcycle and he wrecked crossing some RR tracks at high speed. He ended up with a really mangled arm and a kickstand in his chest. One our doctors in the ER shut off the spurting blood vessels in his arm, so the doc could do something about the massive sucking chest wound. So the guy sues the doc after a few months because he lost partial use of his arm...we found for the doctor.

During the same time I was foreman on a criminal case. A convicted felon and one his buddies broke into four houses in an area known as Pill Hill, because of all the doctors that lived there. At the first house he stole a loaded pistol and put it in his pocket, then robbed 3 other houses...then he got surrounded by the cops. The trial lasted all day, he intermittently threatened his buddy who ratted him out and the judge and the prosecutor and us..so it was basically 4 felony counts of breaking and entering, theft, and then the gun...it took us about 15 minutes to find him guilty on all 4 counts and recommend 12 years on each count for a total of 48 years...the judge took it under advisement, sentenced him to 10 years on each count to be served consecutively....he about fell through the floor. He started screaming....this was in 1989 and in about 2005 or so, I saw him on the street. He was a broken man. that 15 or 16 years did him in. He was about 55 or so when he got out and looked to be in his 80s...BTW, this was his 3rd time in prison...I worked with a cousin of his, she said he was afraid of his own shadow.

I would love to be on a big trial...

686 AR15 G17Fan and snowbird.40 like this.
  9. evlbruce

evlbruce

One a DUI.

Barely dodged a really nasty child sex abuse case that had a high likelihood of being soul crushing and long.

10. rtk

rtk

No. Had jury duty once and never was picked for a case. I got called upstairs once and was interviewed but they didn’t want me. I was on the hook for the week but my employer paid me for my time. It was a complete waste of time as the court was in session for about 2 hours in the morning followed by a 2 hour lunch break and then 2 hours in the afternoon...

snowbird.40 likes this.
  11. cityborncountrylivin

cityborncountrylivin

Alternate on a Civil Trial.

Testified before a Grand Jury once, got a standing ovation.

Paul53 and snowbird.40 like this.
  12. Glolt20-91

Glolt20-91

No, I would have liked to tho. I was ready to drive to Tucson to be on a Federal Grand Jury, but it was cancelled at the last moment. I would have been a good juror given my background. :)

snowbird.40 and Rotn1 like this.
  13. txbandit

txbandit

I was picked once. On the first day of the trial it was brought up that one of the jurors was a felon so the whole jury was dismissed. Reported for duty several other times but never picked again.

14. willie_pete

willie_pete NRA Life Member

Only one here even though I've owned houses and voted in every state I have lived in. A case where a guy in a truck rear ended a couple in a Caddy in stop and go traffic. They sued the guy in the truck for all kinds of injuries, but they made such an ass of themselves in court. That's where I first learned about chiropractic and decided I would never go to one.

Plaintiff's lawyer was a slime ball and defendant's insurance lawyer was very, very good.

The judge gave us an out when he said there could be extenuating circumstances on following too closely ( what he was ticketed for ), so we unanimously found him not at fault n about 30 minutes after a four day trial.

Bottom line: be polite in court and don't PO the jury.

snowbird.40 likes this.
  15. bigwalton15

bigwalton15

Only been summoned once. Was selected and was the foreman on a murder case that involved drugs, grand theft auto, arson and dismemberment of the body. Trial took almost two weeks. Interesting to say the least. Since work paid me during it I was happy to see legal process in action. Enjoyed it honestly.

16. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday CLM

Only once.

Guy was beating his girlfriend, she refused to press charges, the State charged him, we sat there a couple of hours, listened to both sides....went into the jury room for lunch - where we had Subway and made jokes and laughed it up about giving him the Death Sentence - we were in Fort Worth, TX - and when we started up again, they told us 'thanks for your service, an agreement has been reached', he agreed to go to counseling and probation. Got paid $6 for the day.

I welcome the opportunity to serve on a jury.

17. Intolerant

Intolerant

I got called once. I was immediately dismissed because i felt the guy was wrongfully accused.
    The DA didnt want to lose his case, so he told the judge to remove me immediately as a juror.

snowbird.40 and Rotn1 like this.
  18. DukeNukem

DukeNukem

I was. A felonious assault case. I was dismissed 3 days in because I knew one of the victims who was called to testify. I actually enjoyed it. Also I met an excellent lawyer out of it.

ETA: phone cut me off before I was done typing

19. 686 AR15 G17Fan

686 AR15 G17Fan

That's just basic good life advise :)

snowbird.40 and willie_pete like this.
  20. lazarus66

lazarus66