close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Have you ever been on a game show?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by mr00jimbo, Jun 14, 2012.

1. mr00jimbo

mr00jimbo

I love game shows, especially Family Feud, Baggage, Jeopardy and [for the old lady in me] Wheel of Fortune. When I come home from class, I shut off my academic brain and turn on the Game Show Network.

I always wondered how different being there on set is from watching it. I've always wanted to go on a game show.

Curious if you or anyone you know has been on a game show and what the experience was like?

2. Hamilton Burger

Hamilton Burger Incompetent

Almost. Sort of. I played some chess a couple times with Bob March, one of the hosts of the local station's Dialing for Dollars program. On the set, just off camera. He and the other host, Pat McCormick, also did kid's shows Captain Satellite and Charlie & Humphrey, but my favorite was Creature Features (where I first saw Night of the Living Dead), hosted by Bob Wilkins. Same-ish stage, other side of the set. Used the rocker once or twice. Dude left cigar ash all over everything.

[​IMG]

Bob March,

[​IMG]

Charlie, Pat, and Humphrey, and

[​IMG]

Bob Wilkins.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2012

3. Dennis in MA

Dennis in MA Get off my lawn

No. But I did win a radio contest once.

4. Huaco Kid

Huaco Kid

Mom was on a game show called You Don't Say when I was very little. I remember watching the show (before VCRs). I remember her saying it was like being in the middle of a construction zone with all the people (that you never see on TV) working frantically and the guest celebrities (I don't remember who they were) making things harder on everyone. The contestants were like sheep thrown to the wolves.

She won a big chunk of change and spent most of it on a super-duper industrial type sewing machine that she used for the next 50 years.

5. airmotive

airmotive Tin Kicker

I made a trip out to LA for the taping of a new Mark Burnett game show...but the show never made the air. It was hosted by Bill Engval...it was kinda neat meeting him and Mark Burnett. It was pretty cool just seeing how the sausage that is television is made.

It's interesting. Do it.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2012
  6. Drain You

Drain You NRA member

No but I will school you at Wheel of Fortune on NES!

7. fusegsp

fusegsp

No, but my Dad was on Maury Povich.

8. tantrix

tantrix J'aimeLouisiane

A friend's sister was on Maury too...and yes, it was one of those "You ARE the father!" ones. :rofl:

9. vart

vart

10. bush pilot

bush pilot

Depends, does COPS count as a game show?

11. Halojumper

Halojumper

I haven't but I have a half sister who is the co-host on a game show on GSN.

12. Gregg702

Gregg702 Gold Member

One of my favorite one-off SNL skits. :supergrin:

13. USAF96815

USAF96815

Friend of the family was on The Price is Right about 6 months ago and got the "Come On Down!!" She ended up walking away with about 6K worth of prices and got whacked good on taxes.

She loved and is heading back to CA next year on vacation to do it again.

14. larry_minn

larry_minn Silver Member Millennium Member

What bothers me is I understand they figure tax based on game show value. Where a car you and I could buy (off the lot brand new) for $20k plus tax/lic is "valued" at $32k But NOBODY would pay that. Dealerships don't even advertise them for $32k But game shows use that number.

15. Lowjiber

Lowjiber

I've never been, but have a good friend who was a "weekly winner" on Wheel of Fortune.

They tape a week's worth of shows at once. He had brought changes of clothes as instructed. However, his wife didn't. At the end of each "show", she came up during the credits wearing the same dress. Was kinda funny.

16. USAF96815

USAF96815

She was a wee bit ticked about the taxes she had to pay but all-in-all had a blast.

Its something she's wanted to do all her life and got the chance to do it, which is way cool. Especially since she got the call and won some stuff.

17. Halojumper

Halojumper

You could probably contest that if you could show fair market value.

18. Dennis in MA

Mark Burnett and Bill Engval? Redneck Survivor, perhaps??? :rofl:

My aunt, about 50 years ago, was on the local talent showcase show. I can't remember the name of it. I was -7 yrs old, so back off. LOL

Oh, I had a stretch of one summer when I was about 12 where I nailed every game on PIR every day, all summer. I loved that show as a kid. Back when the geezer-showcase-girls were actually young and hot.

19. airmotive

airmotive Tin Kicker

"Trust me, I'm a game show host" was the title of the show. It also had Mo Rocca.
    100 contestants (of which I was one) stand in a group. Bill tells a story and Mo tells a story. One is telling the truth, one is lying. You go stand with the one you think is telling the truth. Again, and again and again until a final 7 are reached.

I bombed on the first question (who knew Vanna White held the Guiness world record for clapping?!?!). Since the show never made the air, I also don't know what happens after you get down to the final 7. We couldn't stay and watch the rest of the taping once we got a question wrong. They had already hired an audience to fill the stands.

BTW, that's another little way to make some spare change in SoCal....being in audiences. Make $20 and get fed a brown bag lunch and get to watch TV in 3D without having to wear those silly glasses. (think about it, think about it...).

20. Dennis in MA

Yeah, but that 30-60 minute show is now 4 hours long. :rofl: