GlockTalk Forum banner

81 - 100 of 107 Posts

·
Registered
8,992 Posts
I'm pretty confident that big constrictors like anacondas are likely to give you a bite that needs treatment.

Am no expert but would suspect that most small, non venomous snakes in the US aren't apt to cause great concern, wash the bite area, hydrogen peroxide and antibiotic ointment and I'd think you'd be OK. Any signs of redness or swelling, head to your PCPs office. Don
Hydrogen Peroxide is no longer recommended for puncture wounds or any deeper wounds. It really is not recommended for cleaning wounds. Apparently it also kills healthy cells and inhibits healing. Especially if in contact with the wound for any length of time.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Nope. My mom used merthiolate.

It burns like hell, and makes you a lot more careful next time.
Remember it well and it does improve your memory!

·
Registered
7,188 Posts
As an Iowa farm kid growing up in the 60’s and 70’s, I remember my parents not really taking a wound seriously unless you could squeeze pus out of the inflamed wound.

And even then, the answer was to squeeze, wash with soap and water, wrap with gauze, and repeat until gone.

As I’ve told people, I’ve had a thousand stitches. I just got ‘em 10 and 20 at a time.
Saw lots of Iowa farm kids in the ER, HA HA! Saw more infected areas while working in the ER then anything. Yes including STDs. We had a couple Hookers in Kansas city that died of their untreated clap, you don't forget that smell. Lot of street people would come in with terrible infections of their feet and hands, lots of gangrene.
while I was stationed in Korea my mom back home was bitten by a brown recluse spider on her forehead. I found out when I returned from over seas, went to see her and saw these terrible scars on her forehead. Thank God for anti biotics.

Reactions: nrajeff and jame

·
Friends Call Me "Flash"
4,173 Posts
I've walked with the Grim Reaper many times in my life and how I survived those things is a complete mystery. There is one time that the Reaper came closest to success ........ from an infection in my big toe!

I worked in the Texas Prison System and developed an ingrown toe nail. It got progressively worse and finally bled through my athletic type shoes. It was a long (103 mile) trip to any support system at home, but finally, it was time to go home on sick leave. Had I waited to get to the doctor, one more day, the outcome would have been different!

The infection began to screw up other organs like my heart and the doctor told me that for three of the days we fought the battle, he wasn't sure that I'd survive! After surviving so many traumas, being killed by a big toe was ironic!

A guy that I worked with at the prison said something that made a lot of sense. The infection wasn't just in my toe. It was an invasion into my entire body system! Lesson learned.

Flash

·
Registered
18,151 Posts
I am of an age when parents took their healthy kids to measles parties.

Reactions: nrajeff

·
Registered
12,362 Posts
Hydrogen Peroxide is no longer recommended for puncture wounds or any deeper wounds. It really is not recommended for cleaning wounds. Apparently it also kills healthy cells and inhibits healing. Especially if in contact with the wound for any length of time.
So what is the replacement? Iodine kills everything too and I have always used both with no healing issues. I have had bites, scratches, slivers, etc and I put either HP or Iodine in it and so far no issues. I have had a few things get infected and I do a little minor surgery with a tweezers and then iodine and right as the mail.

·
No place like home
7,238 Posts
So what is the replacement? Iodine kills everything too and I have always used both with no healing issues. I have had bites, scratches, slivers, etc and I put either HP or Iodine in it and so far no issues. I have had a few things get infected and I do a little minor surgery with a tweezers and then iodine and right as the mail.
I grew up in an iodine household. For every scratch Mom would pull the dreaded bottle out and apply it. As we were expressing the discomfort, my Dad would frequently say, "no owie, no curie." It's been years since I've used iodine, but this thread has got me thinking I need to pick one up to have on hand.

·
Registered
18,151 Posts
Has Betadine fallen out of favor?

·
Registered
749 Posts
Had an older pastor who’s adult daughter was bitten by something (?) in Aruba, she contracted encephalitis, which if I understood correctly can be viral or bacterial?

She was in a coma and on a ventilator forever it seemed, came out of it and was in a wheelchair for six months and had the brain function of a 5 year old. That’s been over 10 years ago and she’s still not back to normal!

Very bad stuff! Little biting creatures in other parts of the world are rough us Americans!

I guess this falls under the infection topic here? And BTW, that cat bite infection was disgusting!

·
Registered
8,992 Posts
The articles I read said the best is to irrigate with water, and made some soapy water and then rinse. Or irrigate with a saline solution. I try to keep up with first aid practices, but it is not my profession. I had read an article of hydrogen peroxide two days ago, and that is why I mentioned it. Alcohol and others out as well. They both can still be used as disinfectants for surfaces and very superficial scrapes, but for anything deeper, they recommend against them, apparently they are too good and damage the healthy cells at the edges of the wound, inhibiting healing. They are all still used for wiping down skin around injection sites and such. As there it is killing bacteria and viruses on the surface of the skin, which is not active anyway.

Maybe one of our medical professionals can chime in.

·
Registered
2,978 Posts
merthiolate and mercurochome don't exist anymore in their historical forms. They contain mercury so they've been banned. They're still made but it's not the same stuff.

Hydrogen Peroxide is a great substance. It's one of a handful of things that's touted by alternative medicine that lives up to the hype. I'm not surprised that there are people speaking ill of it.

A 50/50 soak of hydrogen peroxide and distilled white vinegar kills just about anything. For me, it cured an infection that conventional medicine couldn't even ID.

V.

·
Registered
5,166 Posts
I don't know where to start on this thread having to do with basic health knowledge. How about starting with white blood cells? Their job is to scavenge viruses, bacteria and other foreign invaders in your body. EVERY SINGLE PERSON ON EARTH HAS HAD OR HAS AN INFECTION RIGHT NOW.

·
Registered
15,190 Posts
My mother like all good moms always errs on caution. At a new property I recently purchased we have seen several black racer snakes. I tell my mom they are harmless but kinda mean and they will bite but it can't hurt you other than a little bit of blood. She always comes back with 'well you might get infected!'. And then I remember her saying this when the dog or cat catches a lizard or something similar and might get bit. I have heard the 'it could get infected' or 'you don't want to get infected' all my life.

So I am 53 years old and never been infected and don't know anyone that has ever been infected. Don't get me wrong I know it exists and can happen. Especially dangerous and deadly blood infections.

Any of you guys got any 'I got infected' stories from something you messed with?

Do I need to issue a warning now?! I know how this is going to go.

/

As a kid, we lived near the Pocono Mountains in PA.
While putzing about an old coal bin in one of our secondary barns I got a sliver of coal stuck between my right pinkie fingernail and the surrounding skin. It was too deep for me to dig out on my own and I was too chicken to tell my folks. Fast forward a few days at school my pinkie was red, throbbing, rigid, I had the sweats and a fever. Mrs. Evil teacher, a story for another day, sent me to the nurse....the nurse was out so a lady in the office looked at my finger and said, "jeez that looks HORRIBLE!". I told her there was a splinter of coal........she looked and fiddled for a minute and said, "this is going to hurt." She took a long thin blade and pinched the splinter against my nail and slipped the splinter out. In no time my finger was perfect.

Funny thing I can't remember what I had for lunch but I can remember that lady's face and name from ~50 years ago.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Almost forgot this one. Blood poisoning infection during basic training. Wood sliver in palm of hand from doing crab crawl exercise. Showed D.I. He sez go to medic quickly. You have a red line running up your arm.

I said I will gather all my gear and go. He said nope. That’s for guys faking it. You gotta serious issue. Go, and see me when you get back.

DROBIAZG

·
Pinky Out
58,529 Posts
As a kid, we lived near the Pocono Mountains in PA.
While putzing about an old coal bin in one of our secondary barns I got a sliver of coal stuck between my right pinkie fingernail and the surrounding skin. It was too deep for me to dig out on my own and I was too chicken to tell my folks. Fast forward a few days at school my pinkie was red, throbbing, rigid, I had the sweats and a fever. Mrs. Evil teacher, a story for another day, sent me to the nurse....the nurse was out so a lady in the office looked at my finger and said, "jeez that looks HORRIBLE!". I told her there was a splinter of coal........she looked and fiddled for a minute and said, "this is going to hurt." She took a long thin blade and pinched the splinter against my nail and slipped the splinter out. In no time my finger was perfect.

Funny thing I can't remember what I had for lunch but I can remember that lady's face and name from ~50 years ago.
Was she hawt?

Reactions: .264 magnum

·
Registered
12,055 Posts
I don't know where to start on this thread having to do with basic health knowledge. How about starting with white blood cells? Their job is to scavenge viruses, bacteria and other foreign invaders in your body. EVERY SINGLE PERSON ON EARTH HAS HAD OR HAS AN INFECTION RIGHT NOW.
No, what we have all had is an EXPOSURE to infectious agents such as bacteria and viruses. It only becomes an INFECTION when the normal activity of the immune system is insufficient to stop the replication of the bacteria or virus and it gains a foothold in the body. Not all exposures lead to infection.

81 - 100 of 107 Posts