GlockTalk Forum banner

21 - 40 of 107 Posts

·
Pinky Out
58,559 Posts
Got bit by our family cat when I was about 13 yo. It got swollen and was very red and angry looking. Hurt like hell too! I bit the bullet and scrubbed the chit out of it with a scrub brush and soap and water. A day later, all gone. Cats are filthy creatures. Don't let their constant preening fool you!
About 9 and I was messing with the cat.

Got bit
Deserved it

It got bad
I had to soak my hand three times a day in hot salt water for about a week.

I never messed with the cat again.

·
Director of civil unrest
8,631 Posts
About 9 and I was messing with the cat.

Got bit
Deserved it

It got bad
I had to soak my hand three times a day in hot salt water for about a week.

I never messed with the cat again.
Since we're telling cat stories, some time later, maybe another cat, I don't really remember, I found that I could hold the cat upside down in my hands and drop him and he'd of course, land on his feet every time.
I was showing my Sister this "phenomenon" and suddenly got the idea to test just how close to the ground I could hold him, let him go and he would land on his feet.
What I discovered was that at a certain point, about a foot above the ground, the cat will no longer try and land in it's feet but will rather grab onto something to prevent the fall. It was Summer and I wasn't wearing a shirt. I was probably the only boy in my class in the '70s to get my nipple pierced.

·
Registered
14,406 Posts
I got an infection when I was 16. Dr. Said it could have been from a scratch or even just from brushing my teeth.
Bacteria got into my spine and ate my L5 vertebrae. Damn near paralyzed and/or killed me. Still suffering daily from it.
Infection can be serious.

·
Registered
13,942 Posts
I ho
My Dad got bit by the family cat. Next day, could barely get out of bed. Was in the hospital for over a month, on every antibiotic known to man.

Was bit on the wrist, about at the ball. Lost a good chuck of meat and a good deal of function in that hand.

Dam near killed him.

Apparently, it's more common than you think. Especially with cats because their teeth are rather needle like and the infection can get deep below the skin.

Here's a pic from after it "healed".

View attachment 834668
I hope you made Kung Pao to celebrate his getting better.

·
Pinky Out
58,559 Posts
I got an infection when I was 16. Dr. Said it could have been from a scratch or even just from brushing my teeth.
Bacteria got into my spine and ate my L5 vertebrae. Damn near paralyzed and/or killed me. Still suffering daily from it.
You win so far.

·
Horselover Fat
32,176 Posts
I don’t know if this is classified as an infection, but in the middle of my 8 surgeries on my back and shoulder, I had to have emergency gall bladder surgery. Doc told me when they yanked it out, there was a bit of gangrene on one end. I crawled down to the ER just in time, I think.

·
Registered
1,833 Posts
I ho

I hope you made Kung Pao to celebrate his getting better.

They kept the cat!

No hard feelings I guess.

Only time that cat ever bit anyone. Dad said he went to pet the cat and must have snuck up on him and spooked him and he turned around and bit.

Reactions: n2g

·
Registered
1,833 Posts
Apparently his Mom was right about that whole infection thing. Just another reason to not have a cat. How old was he when it happened? Does he have any immune diseases? I hope he got a LOT better.
He was about 61-62 at the time. Pretty darn healthy at the time. That was about 4-5 years ago. He's alright now. Except still doesn't have full strength, function in that hand.

·
Registered
1,833 Posts

Dang, how many years has it been?

If you don't mind me asking how old you are.

·
Native Mainiac
18,837 Posts
When I was about 7 I had a tick on my trigger that got infected and swole up pretty good. My sister spotted it and told my mom so it was a trip to get penicillin shot.
Now the swelling comes back from time to time, but it goes away with a little encouragment.

Might be local colloquialism, but what exzackly on your body is your "trigger"....and no, I don't want to pull it....

·
Registered
11,964 Posts
When I was about 7 I had a tick on my trigger that got infected and swole up pretty good. My sister spotted it and told my mom so it was a trip to get penicillin shot.
Now the swelling comes back from time to time, but it goes away with a little encouragment.

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
I see a common thread here...... cats. What does that tell you guys? Well the smart ones.
I can not believe how many people I know that got a staph infection from a cat! Was not thinking about it but this thread just got me thinking, holy cow, cats!

·
Firm member
29,702 Posts
Not bacterial, but parasitic. Came down with giardiasis from a hunting trip twenty or so years ago. So sick, I had to get better just to die. HH

21 - 40 of 107 Posts