GlockTalk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 107 Posts

·
Registered
20,452 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My mother like all good moms always errs on caution. At a new property I recently purchased we have seen several black racer snakes. I tell my mom they are harmless but kinda mean and they will bite but it can't hurt you other than a little bit of blood. She always comes back with 'well you might get infected!'. And then I remember her saying this when the dog or cat catches a lizard or something similar and might get bit. I have heard the 'it could get infected' or 'you don't want to get infected' all my life.

So I am 53 years old and never been infected and don't know anyone that has ever been infected. Don't get me wrong I know it exists and can happen. Especially dangerous and deadly blood infections.

Any of you guys got any 'I got infected' stories from something you messed with?

Do I need to issue a warning now?! I know how this is going to go.

/

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
My Dad got bit by the family cat. Next day, could barely get out of bed. Was in the hospital for over a month, on every antibiotic known to man.

Was bit on the wrist, about at the ball. Lost a good chuck of meat and a good deal of function in that hand.

Dam near killed him.

Apparently, it's more common than you think. Especially with cats because their teeth are rather needle like and the infection can get deep below the skin.

Here's a pic from after it "healed".

20200921_174658.jpg

·
Mentally Frozen
24,772 Posts
When I was about 7 I had a tick on my trigger that got infected and swole up pretty good. My sister spotted it and told my mom so it was a trip to get penicillin shot.
Now the swelling comes back from time to time, but it goes away with a little encouragment.

·
Mentally Frozen
24,772 Posts
My Dad got bit by the family cat. Next day, could barely get out of bed. What in the hospital for over a month, on every antibiotic known to man.

Was bit on the wrist, about at the ball. Lost a good chuck of meat and a good deal of function in that hand.

Dam near killed him.

Apparently, it's more common than you think. Especially with cats because their teeth are rather needle like and the infection can get deep below the skin.

View attachment 834668
That's pretty sick.

·
Registered
3,055 Posts
Les Stroud once ate a water turtle in Georgia while filming his show. The infection he had in his mouth darn near killed him. Doctors never identified the type of infection.

·
NRA Life Member
5,541 Posts
My Dad got bit by the family cat. Next day, could barely get out of bed. What in the hospital for over a month, on every antibiotic known to man.

Dam near killed him.

View attachment 834668
Holy cow:alex:

Reactions: tuica

·
Registered
953 Posts
She didn't say that but, more than once maybe caused by me, she would ask for a pencil. I would gently toss it to her and wait as she grabbed her face and yelled YOU CAN PUT AN EYE OUT LIKE THAT.

I must admit I may have been a bit awnry but it made me laugh.

·
Registered
30,271 Posts
My mother like all good moms always errs on caution. At a new property I recently purchased we have seen several black racer snakes. I tell my mom they are harmless but kinda mean and they will bite but it can't hurt you other than a little bit of blood. She always comes back with 'well you might get infected!'. And then I remember her saying this when the dog or cat catches a lizard or something similar and might get bit. I have heard the 'it could get infected' or 'you don't want to get infected' all my life.

So I am 53 years old and never been infected and don't know anyone that has ever been infected. Don't get me wrong I know it exists and can happen. Especially dangerous and deadly blood infections.

Any of you guys got any 'I got infected' stories from something you messed with?

Do I need to issue a warning now?! I know how this is going to go.

/
Yeah the sidewalk, like a stupy, I didn’t wash the abrasions and sure enough, infection city.

·
Registered
8,992 Posts

Dam near killed him.

Apparently his Mom was right about that whole infection thing. Just another reason to not have a cat. How old was he when it happened? Does he have any immune diseases? I hope he got a LOT better.

·
Director of civil unrest
8,598 Posts
Got bit by our family cat when I was about 13 yo. It got swollen and was very red and angry looking. Hurt like hell too! I bit the bullet and scrubbed the chit out of it with a scrub brush and soap and water. A day later, all gone. Cats are filthy creatures. Don't let their constant preening fool you!

·
Registered
10,757 Posts
I had some fire ant bites get infected, they left some dime sized scars.

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
Holy cow:alex:

The bite was just a pin hole, or maybe two. All the damage is the infection and the doctors having to go in there and clean out the infection. And he just couldn't kick it and it kept coming back.

1 - 20 of 107 Posts