Have you ever been called an ethnic name?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by tool-time, Jun 11, 2020.

1. Quijibo

Quijibo King Doofus.

My friends would call me a "Mick" now and then, even though I'm only part Irish. Of course, growing up in the '70s, I heard "Honky" a lot.... I always thought it was pretty funny. A lot of my (non-white) friends' older brothers called us all, regardless of ethnicity, "ni##a". Some of my (non-white) friends still called me that through high school..... when they weren't calling me a "Mick", "Honky".....
    As far as people calling me racial slurs trying to piss me off? Yeah, (meh). But, growing up with pretty severe add, calling me "stupid" was way more offensive.

happyguy likes this.
  2. fx77

fx77 CLM

Without being specific
    I grew up in a rather homogeneous town of color and ethnic origins..was called all kinds of names and spit upon often...my parents told me to ignore them...A few fights which I won, but very unpleasant.

happyguy likes this.

3. Quijibo

Quijibo King Doofus.

I was raised by a single mom, I was called that now and then by other kids'parents. I took it as a compliment.

Aye, called "white trash" too. We lived in a trailer for a while, got called "trailer trash" quite a bit. Never bothered me, aside from the occaisional dog bite, I had some great times with my unpretentious trailer trash buddies.
    The neighborhood I live in now is full of suburban yuppy types who still act like they're in high school. In many ways, the trailer trash were a better breed of human.

nrajeff and treg like this.
  4. Oldschooltube

Oldschooltube Flux Capacitor Technician

I’m a proud honkey!

treg likes this.
  5. DonGlock26

DonGlock26

I've been called a "Blue-Eyed Devil" a few times. I rather liked that one. :cool:

"Cracker" just made me laugh.

6. Trademark

Trademark tabula rasa

Is “Yankee” a slur?

7. Glockdude1

Glockdude1 Federal Member CLM

I work in a Federal Prison. I get called everything but human. I call it Tuesday.

:cool:

8. M&P15T

M&P15T Well I'll Be Dipped!!!

Been called a cracka a few times.

One dude called me a "cracka-ass cracka mutha ****er".

At about that time in my youth, I was dating a bla.......African American girl. There were a few bla......African American dudes that were a bit hostile towards me over it.

mike from st pe likes this.
  9. mc1911

mc1911

I have been called honkie. It did not bother me. I do not get upset over dumb words.

10. nrajeff

nrajeff

mc1911 likes this.
  11. DrVlad

DrVlad Millennium Member

Called “[email protected]$$” quite frequently if that counts.

Growing up in south Louisiana, the term “neg” was constantly used by both black and white equally, and both interracially and cross racially, and always as a term of endearment, not unlike the French “cher”.....or presently dude, man or bruh. Most commonly with the adjective “te” proceeding it.

IE: “Te neg, toss me a beer” or very commonly “ viens voir neg” ( meaning “come see“ and phonetically pronounced “vae wa” )

Granted the root is from the French negre, meaning black. However, never in my time was it derogatory in any way, in fact quite the contrary. Among true Cajuns (ie [email protected]$$es) it is still used to this day among those we are familiar with, and again both cross and inter racially with no distinction.

Emmett4glock and spork like this.
  12. The Hawk

The Hawk

Good gosh yes. Hundreds of times.

13. Emmett4glock

Emmett4glock

Many decades ago I’ve been called cracker, whitey, honkey, and goy. There’s probably others that I don’t remember right now. It never bothered me because they’re just words and nothing that would ever cause me to become angry with them. Some of those terms have been used jokingly by friends and seriously by racists alike. Contrary to popular opinion, all ethnicities have the ability to be and are racist. The only fights I had that I thought were worth fighting was protecting others unable to protect themselves, over girls usually out of both of our leagues, and when somebody started something just out of cussedness; never over racist remarks.
    If I were a minority I’ll admit things probably would have been different. It all has to do with how you view yourself and the extent to which you allow society to convince you that you’re less than another human being based solely on skin color. That was difficult in the old days.

14. 9jeeps

9jeeps rip "Bud"

Yep! When I was a young Ohio boy. We didn't have many blacks but a whole lot of "Hillbillies" !

Ramjet38 likes this.
  15. inthefrey

inthefrey Moved on...

Yes
    "...get out of my way you old crackerhead..."
    I could have responded but didn't. I may have ended like a scene in Grand Torino...