Have trouble choosing for my First!

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by oISHUTupNrocKIo, Feb 9, 2010.

1. oISHUTupNrocKIo

oISHUTupNrocKIo Glock Lover

Damn, this is hard... I'm sure everyone knows what I'm talking about... so many great Glock models. Well, since this is going to be my first Glock, I'm having trouble choosing, so hard that I've been fighting with myself for the last month. I can work the money up mid-March around the range of $1000. I was thinking about getting a nice new Glock with Trijicons and a bunch of ammo (target and self defense), and all the accessories I need and want. I will be using this firearm for Home Defense (possible as a CCW also). There are 3 models I really want, but can't choose for a few reasons.

I want the Glock 19 RTF2, Glock 31, and Glock 20. Why? The Glock 19 was the first Glock I've ever shot back when I was 17 and I fell in love how it felt and how accurate it was. Also, 9mm ammo is the most affordable calibar and most plentiful. I want the RTF2 model because I love the serrations on the end of the slide and the rough texture frame... I just think it looks like a awesome piece. Now moving onto the Glock 31, I love the .357 Sig round. I shot it at a range as a rental and also loved it. .357 Sig also has the highest velocity and energy out of all the calibars Glock is chambered in besides the 10mm (buying the right ammo of course). I like the G31 for alittle more stopping power than the 9mm. And now, the G20... I have always wanted this because of the calibar of the round. 10mm is known for taking down bears, and is a powerful, powerful, powerful firearm. I mainly wanted it for its power. The 10mm ammo is alittle harder to find and alot more expensive for my first Glock though.

I wish I had the money for all of them... and one more question... how is the availibility of the Glock 19 RTF2? I don't think I'll get a normal 19, I really want the certain model. Please, all the feedback and input will be greatly appreciated, I'm fighting with myself and I just want to set on a damn model so I can have some fun, It won't be as hard after buying the first one.

Thanks everyone :wavey:!

Last edited: Feb 9, 2010
  2. Butch

Butch RetiredDinosaur CLM Millennium Member

Picking my first Glock was quite simple! Yeah, all they made then was the G17.... :)

I very much endorse the G19......only two things 'wrong' with the RTF2 part though.

One is that it can make for some tender love handles if you intend to carry it concealed, the R in RTF stands for ROUGH.

The other is that we've heard that the rounded slide serrations have been discontinued (I have no idea why - I rather like them myself), so if you've found one on a dealers shelf that has them, you might want to put it on layaway.

3. farley45

farley45

You may want to let people know what you are looking for in your new purchase, as in what you intend to use it for.

Regardless of that I would go with the G19 as I don't care for the other calibers and the G19 is a sweet firearm. It is not too small, but it also makes for a great carry piece.

4. oISHUTupNrocKIo

Yea, I heard that about that a few days back, and I actually asked that question here and people said it was false. Well, I've always loved the look of the rounded serrations and people say it helps a deal with grip on the slide. I'm going to try my hardest to look around and find it. I just simply love the look and feel of the RTF and especially on a Glock 19.

5. oISHUTupNrocKIo

Done :wavey:... Thanks for the input. I was thinking about the same thing with the CCW part.

6. ncglock19

ncglock19

It looks like you have a pretty decent budget to work with. Just a suggestion from a newbie, you might want to check the prices of ammo, to figure out if you might want to put some of that money into your initial ammo purchase.

And don't forget a few dollars for a range-taught Pistol Introduction class.

I chose my Glock 19 after trying 5 or 6 different 9mm pistols. Find a range that rents them and make sure you're happy with what you'll buy.

joe

7. den888

den888

G19, or better yet - G23 with a 9mm conversion, which will allow you to shoot both .40S&W and 9mm

8. oISHUTupNrocKIo

My range around the corner is $100/yr... and I don't think I need to waste money on something I've been taught for the last 6 years :supergrin:... thanks for the input... and yea, I'm going put at least $300 into ammo funds, I'm going to get a good varity of Self Defense rounds like Federal HST, Horandy, Speer Gold Dot, Winchester Ranger, etc. And I'll probably buy different kinds of target ammo to test the functionality in my Glock so I can just buy a case of it laster down the road.