close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Have to reboot puter to be able to get net access now

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by WillieD, Feb 26, 2006.

1. WillieD

WillieD

1st off, I am a computer nimrod. So speak English please;f A few weeks ago, the IT guy from my wifes work setup a wireless network to run my PC and a laptop that my wife got from work. We finally got that up and running, but now I am having a problem with my PC. I usually just keep my PC on standby all the time and just log on when I want to get on the net. Never a problem before. Now, It seems like there is not a proper connection. Sometimes it work. Sometimes I can just receive email, sometimes no email or net. When I reboot, everything is OK. The IT guy ask me what my lease setting was for something ( I forget), but it was set for 1 week. He thought that the lease was expiring quickly and I reacquired it when I rebooted. Problem is that he is not getting back tome by way of email. Any ideas what I can check? Also, on a different matter, when I play games or have multiple windows open, I sometimes get a virtual memory is low message. What settings should I have set for the virtual paging or should I just have it taht the computer sets it as needed(that's what I have it on now). I'm running Windows XP, btw. Thanks, Terry

2. fastvfr

fastvfr Ancient Tech

I prefer to set it to either 768MB or 1536MB. Donm't let XP manage it.

It sounds like your wireless connection is using a USB port, and that port is powering down when the machine geos into Standby mode.

The solution is to R. Click My Computer> Properties> Hardware> Device Manager> then locate the USB listings at the bottom.

Click each open in turn and click on the Power Management tabs up top--then untick the switches for 'Turn This Device Off To Save Power'.

Post back if that doesn't work, or if the PC accesses wireless via a different means (CAT-5 or a PCI Ethernet card).

3. WillieD

WillieD

Well, I went through all the USB stuff, but only the ones marked USB hub had the power management tabs. I unchecked them. I am still having the problem that when I open IE, I get a page error. I was able to receive email, but if there was a link to open the browsere to veiw something, I couldn't get that page up. I beleive the router is hooked up via a ethernet card. Any other suggestions? Thanks for all the help though, Terry

4. fastvfr

fastvfr Ancient Tech

Go into the Device Manager again, but this time r. click the Network card> Properties.

Open its Power Management tab and untick "Allow PC To Turn This Off To Save Power" in there, too.

Let me know if that gets it; there are a couple of other possibilities to eliminate.

5. WillieD

WillieD

Tried all the stuff above and still having problems most of he time. Anything else???? Think unplugging the router for a few minutes would help anything. The IT guy told me if you do this it resets something and usually fixes some problems? Should I do this with the computer on or off? Thanks, Terry

6. fastvfr

fastvfr Ancient Tech

Try resetting the router with the PC off first.

Okay, let's see if I have everything correct:

1. The PC goes into hibernation/standby and the wireless connection is crippled or totally inoperable when it resumes.

2. The wireless card in your PC is installed into a PCI slot, just as a modem would be.

Odd. Usually it is a power issue that causes this, wherein the PC turns off the wireless card, and then when the WL gets power again the driver isn't able to get the connection up again.

Okay, so this may be more serious that that. Still, no prob!

What brand of WL card is in the PC? If you are unsure, download and install Everest hardware detector and go to the Network icon. That will show you what network hardware you are running.

Next, go to the cardmaker's homepage and check for newer drivers.

Finally, if there are no newer drivers, send 'em an email and ask them if this is a Known Issue. Sometimes components get sent out with faulty drivers, and this seems likely in your case.

If not, and resetting the router/access point doesn't fix it, you may have to leave the PC running in standard mode all the time.

Really, that's no biggy...just turn off the monitor until the desktop is needed.

GL!