GlockTalk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
26,561 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just a security job. Are the S&W Model 100 still the gold standard?

Reactions: Mahalo_.357sig

·
Registered
6,376 Posts
I liked the S&W stainless. The original and the current ones. It was easier to clean and sterilize them if they had blood on them.

But, I actually prefer Peerless cuffs.

Reactions: slamdunc

·
Registered
70 Posts
Peerless has always been the gold standard in my eyes. Although, my department issues the S&W and they do just fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
3,430 Posts
Peerless, S&W, Safariland (Who now make Hyatt cuffs here in the States). These 3 are good. However, I have never like S&W's side lock slot. Too hard to hit when a Perp is un-co-op. I carry Hyatts lite cuffs, because as I get older, I like the weight off my belt. If you want steel cuffs, get Peerless. S&W build a better hinge, IMHO however. I think S&W has gone back to the pin lock in the frame in one of their cuff models. Check them out. Good place for cuffs is Handcuff Warehouse online. They have cuffs you have never even heard of.
A quick side note: Buy quality cuffs from the names I mentioned. Inexpensive cuffs from LE catalog companies will get you hurt, the cuffs are usually of poor materials and construction.
And the ASP plastic cuffs? Not junk at all, well made. But way to much flex in the single and double strand, they can cause problems during speed cuffing, as the single strand can miss the double strand entrance slot, IMHO.

·
Registered
307 Posts
I always used and liked Hyatt’s. If they allow you to do so, consider one or two sets of chain and one set of hinged. Spend a little extra for good cuffs, it’ll be a good return on your investment.

·
Premium Member
4,557 Posts
Smith and wesson, and peerless make good handcuffs. I’ve also used Winchester cuffs and like them quite a bit.

As mentioned, handcuff warehouse is a good place to buy from, with a house brand of Chicago Handcuff company which is a decent product.

You likely won’t ever use them anyway in a security setting, so I’d just get the cheapest name brand cuffs and call it a day. Pretty much all your standard cuffs are in the $20 range.

·
NRA4EVR
11,506 Posts
I was issued one set of Peerless at hire and bought one pair of Peerless hinged cuffs. Twenty-nine years later I had five pair - the other ones were etched “Court Security” or “Main Jail”. Hey, they were still within the sheriff’s office, it’s good.

I only have the hinged pair today. The others stayed home with the S.O. when I pulled the pin.

·
Registered
26,561 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Reactions: nitesit(+ an e)

·
Registered
4,633 Posts
I stick with the standard S&W stainless. I don’t get ones with the quick locks, hinged, fancy colors, or any others. The stainless standard cuffs work just fine, and less likely to walk away if someone else transports your prisoner.

·
Mr. Awesome
10,435 Posts
When I did security, before LE, I used blued hinged Peerless. I used them at my first agency (mainly through the Academy). At my more recent agency, where I spent most of my career, I was issued the S&W chained cuffs. That’s what I used, on my belt. Mainly because that’s the cuffs that fit the pouch they gave me. A few years ago, we were given two pairs of ASP cuffs, one chained, one hinged.

The ASP were my least favorite, of my “good” cuffs. First, I used my S&W’s, then my Peerless, then the ASP. If I needed a sixth, I used zip ties or a set of “Valor” I bought, in high school (I only used these on very cooperative people).

Link to the current Peerless offering:
https://www.handcuffwarehouse.com/p...JsuIqyNCstyQ25SMhnr-N1VPg406-DnMaApYzEALw_wcB

These look like the S&W I have:
https://www.handcuffwarehouse.com/smith-wesson-model-100-1-handcuffs-nickel/

No personal experience with this store.

Reactions: nitesit(+ an e)

·
Registered
4,795 Posts
Well as I am old school, educate me why Perless are not so good. O have paired I bought as "second pair" in 1977, that still are in good shape. If I recall they were Flaewless Perlass, as they did not hiccup. bought at Long Beach Uniform, do not recall price, do not have receipt, but use as bicycle lock with cable frequently. Yes I am with in sight, but still I do not run fast, so they are step savers.

·
Registered
8,774 Posts
I carried smith and Wesson handcuffs. But I used them a lot. My main pair where hinged. Easier to carry and easier to slap on someone. But I also had the chain version for transports and such.
I didn’t like peerless. There was less leather gear that would hold them properly on a belt.
I did have a pair of the American handcuff company aluminum handcuffs - great product . Too bad they don’t make them anymore. The ASP handcuffs were a piece of @@@. They would flex so the teeth part of the cuff wouldn’t line up with the locking part of the prisoner was fighting you putting them on. I literally threw those cuffs out,

·
Millenium #3936
6,299 Posts
I never liked smith and wesson cuffs. I have always preferred Peerless due to ease of application, locking style and feel in the hand.

Use of restrains is certainly not rocket science but the legal entanglements one can find themselves in as a result of a claimed restraint induced injury( or death), can be. I would never carry cuffs without proper training and I would want to be able to speak intelligently about said training.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts