close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Have the Glock 30s changed?

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by Shotojon, Feb 9, 2004.

1. Shotojon

Shotojon

Since the Glock 30 came out, have there been any cosmetic changes to the newer ones that would affect comfort?

In my other post I was debating between a barely used G30 and a G36, so I wanted to compare them. In my friend's store, where I could get a barely used G30 (I don't know how old it is, except it has the old "smooth" uncontoured magazine floor plate), they didn't have a stock G36 but an employee did have a customized one, so I was able to hold them both to compare. The used G30 felt okay. Hoping to look at both together, I went to a different gun store to see if they had BOTH in stock for comparison. They had a used G36 that was "Robar'ed" and a brand new G30, and while holding the Robar-ed G36 didn't help me at all, the brand new G30 felt better than the used one in the hand, and I'm not sure why. I did notice though that the floor plates of the new G30 were sculpted and contoured to feel like an extension of the handle, which might have been why the new one seemed to feel better that the used one seemed.

So my question, since my friend doesn't have both a used G30 AND a new G30 is... Have the G30's changed at all ergonomically (besdies the magazine floor plate) since they came out? And if not, can I buy NEW floor plates for the G30 or can I buy new magazines that have the newer (better) floor plate? I could pick up the barely used G30 for $400, but I'd still like to compare it to a new one, but my friend doesn't have the new mags in stock. Are the frames the same?

2. nigneil146

nigneil146

To my knowledge, the 30 has always been the same.

The smooth mag bottoms are factory. The ones that have the same design as the finger grooves are actually aftermarket. They are made by Pearce.

3. cwood

cwood

They are flush like those on a G26 or G27. The ten round mag extends down about 1/2 " to accomodate the last round and is contoured like a pinkie extension. I find it very comfortable, by the way, and do not require the aftermarket extensions.

4. MrMurphy

MrMurphy ********* Moderator Lifetime Member Millennium Member

I've got a 30 I bought in '98 or 99, and have six 10-round mags of varying age. All of them are smooth. You probably handled a Pearce Mag extension magazine.

All 30s are identical as far as I can tell. I handled a new one Saturday and it was identical except in the fact that mine's worn more (obviously..I've been carrying it for three years daily).

5. cwood

cwood

Did you make it to the Texas Tactical match in S. A. last week. Got one in Austin this coming Sunday.

Sorry Don

6. Shotojon

Shotojon

It's odd that it was an aftermarket Pearce grip floor plate, because the gun came out of the factory box from the store's safe. But that's good to know so I can pick up the barely used G30 and just switch the floor plates of the mags for better comfort.

7. Lightsped

Lightsped peon

Only changes I know of would be the slightly different finish on the slide, and the new extractor with a slightly bigger loaded chamber indicator.

Neither of these features do anything for me, so I wouldn't worry about either.

8. MrMurphy

MrMurphy ********* Moderator Lifetime Member Millennium Member

Cwood,didn't make it since I was halfway across the state at the time, but will try to make the March1 match (look for a Sheepdog shirt).

9. 1*45

1*45

Folks, all of the generation 3 Glock 30's (are supposed to) come with a 10 rd mag which has a taller mag base plate. This base plate is what gives your little finger some grip. There is available 9 rd mags for the G30. they will not have much to set your finger on. The taller glock 30 base plates will not fit on the 9 rd mag. I expect that the shop has mags that the bases have been changed or changed out the mags for 9 rd ones. Please go to glockmeister.com and view the specs for the pistol and i believe it will show you. Hope this helps. The last two g30 i purchased had the 10 rd mags.

10. NetNinja

NetNinja Always Faithful

Same Same GI.

Nothing changy!

11. RobertP

RobertP

I may be wrong but I believe the extractor has changed.

12. TheTam

TheTam

CWood & MrMurphy,
    I'll try to make the March 1st Texas Tactical match. I'm going up to Temple tomorrow morning for their match. They're a good group.

Best,