Have pacemaker - need ideas for suspender pad

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by techiej, Feb 5, 2017.

1. techiej

techiej

I've had a pacemaker for just over a year now and also have some GI problems.

The GI problems make it nearly impossible to cinch a gun belt enough to properly support a gun/holster for competition. If I use suspenders then I can get it to work with the belt being looser.

The problem is that after a few minutes of movement my PM site is irritated and hurts from the movement of the suspenders even with them being over my clothes.

So, for anyone who has had a PM, any ideas as to protect the PM site while still providing enough support via suspenders? Especially for those that compete in IDPA or USPSA. BTW I have tried numerous brands and types of suspenders, wide/narrow, more/less elastic, etc.

Thanks!

2. RonS

RonS Millennium Member

Left side, below the collar bone? That is going too be hard to work around.

Could you do a vest and attach it to the belt? When I was in the AF in the mid 1970s my patrol supervisor participated in a field test of an Ike style uniform jacket and his Sam Brown belt actually hooked to it. (Obviously it went nowhere, Ike jackets work well on skinny guys, but average guys look look like a 5 pound sack with 7 pounds of potatoes in it.)

3. sixgun2

sixgun2 packin heat

I still have a deactivated pacer/ defib that was installed before my heart transplant. I'm kind of confused as to what PM site means. Could you spell it out for me.
    Thx.

4. Khufu

Khufu Pharaoh

Be very careful.

Twiddlers syndrome is probably the leading cause of pacemaker lead failure. What you are describing is an outside loading that could also damage the lead. I have filled out plenty of MDRs (medical device reporting) for pacer leads that failed due to this. Over loading the lead is not considered a "defect." If you damage the lead, the company wont be on the hook for it if they show (which they will...first order of business in this type of case is expert examination and they will see the crushed lead) it was user induced damage.

Having a lead removed is normally VERY dangerous surgery.

As much as I hate to say it, you might have to make lifestyle/hobby choices based upon your health issues.

5. Khufu

Khufu Pharaoh

He is referring to the implantation region where the pacemaker is implanted.

6. techiej

techiej

Yup - left side below the collar bone...some of the wires are visible above the PM too which makes anything rubbing the area a problem as well.

I'm not a small guy so would like to avoid having to wear a vest/jacket that attaches to the belt. But thanks for the idea.

7. sixgun2

sixgun2 packin heat

K. That's what I thought. Not trying to second guess about the irritation, however if it was installed properly by a Dr./ cardio it should be well below the skin surface. I have one that was installed nine years ago an have never experienced irritation from anything.

8. Bruce M

Bruce M

Long shot but I might try a few gauze pads held in place with some tape over the location and se if that provides any relief. Or maybe a t shirt or jacket with the pad for shotgun shooting could help if the pad part was over the location.

9. Khufu

Khufu Pharaoh

DO NOT let things rub on the "wires". Those are the pacemaker lead and most fragile part of the whole system (and most deadly to remove).

10. nursetim

nursetim

Can you use a vest rig?

11. RonS

RonS Millennium Member

I keep trying to figure something out but the location is horrible if you are right handed. A Sam Brown strap for a right hander would go across the chest just north of it, or perhaps right across it. Could you get a waiver from your sanctioning organization and use a looser belt but a cinched down drop leg holster where the straps around your leg would support the weight of the gun?

The only other thing I can think of that might work would be like the old military H harness. Two straps in back two in front, and cut off the left front strap. You would have a strap front and back on the right and one on the left in the back.

I have no idea how that would work, you might give youself a terminal wedgie.

Heck, even a manpurse would work best if the strap was over your left shoulder. :(

12. Lonestar 48

Lonestar 48 Silver Member

I had an AICD implanted in August and in September the doc removed it because it caused endocarditis. I thought it would be a simple in and out procedure, but they treated it pretty seriously. I've wondered every since how that infection got there.

13. Khufu

Khufu Pharaoh

You were in a hospital and your were cut open.

Everything that touched you in the surgery and the device were sterile.

After that, you still had an open wound and were no longer in a sterile field.

14. techiej

techiej

Appreciate the info and hadn't actually considered this...will talk to my EP doc about it when I see him next month.

15. DoubleWide

DoubleWide

What about just staying away from that side? One side suspender? An upside down Y just in back? An upside down Y in front and in back?

Chest holster pattern to suspend the belt from, not the actual holster

16. sas-G19

sas-G19

Tech:
    This is sort of what I was thinking about too.
    After a little googling I came across this possibility.
    "The Sam Browne belt is a wide belt, usually leather, supported by a narrower strap passing diagonally over the right shoulder.[1] It is most often a part of a military or police uniform.[2]"
    Hope you are able to get this worked out without upsetting your PM leads.

-steve