close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Have I bitten off more than a newbie should

Discussion in 'Moto Club' started by mdj1, Aug 27, 2006.

1. mdj1

mdj1

Just picked up a 1983 Yamaha seca 900. No owners manual and I'm looking for basic info like oil levels and change procedures. It was sitting for about 2 years (thus the low price).
    The brakes seem to be sticking -- bike won't roll freely in nutural, carbs need cleaned and it needs a muffler of some kind (no baffels in tube where there should be).
    Have I bitten off more than a newbie can chew. I've changed brakes and done tune ups on older cars but never tackeled a carb rebuild.
    Where can I get a manual for this old of a bike? I have checked ebay and have not seen any.

Thanks
    matt

2. WellArmedSheep

WellArmedSheep NRA Member

You shouldn't have a problem performing the above listed tasks. Any motorcycle shop should be able to order a Clymer manual for the bike, or you could probably get a factory manual at a Yamaha dealer. Don't go for the carb rebuild before trying some Yamaha carb cleaner in them. Stuff works great, just follow the directions on the bottle. Brakes will most definitely need to be taken apart and cleaned, and the o-rings will probably need replacing. You may be able to find a baffle for the existing pipe if you dig long enough and know the ID (inner diameter) of your pipe.

Good luck and keep us posted.

3. ZZR guy

ZZR guy

Check out www.denniskirk.com

I looked at their catalog and they had a Mac exh. system for $216.99 or Emgo universal mufflers for $46-$56, and they will send you free catalog. I hope this helps

4. MStarmer

MStarmer In Jail...

You might want to try "Seafoam" carb/cylinder cleaner. It can be found easily at Napa, Autozone etc...

5. woodstove

woodstove

Also you might want to check out XJBikes.com. Most members have 650's or 750's but there is lots of information on all XJs.

6. mdj1

mdj1

Thanks
    I've been able to check into some things and the front brakes (2 disk) will need to be rebuilt, the back seems to be ok -- at least its not frozen. I wasn't able to get the yamaha carb cleaner but have gotten some "sea foam" and will run about 1/2 a bottle thru and see if it helps. I also ordered a manual from a local dealer and it should be in on Friday or Tuesday.

Now I get to start ordering parts and waiting for them to get here before the season is done.

7. k12lts

k12lts

Don't forget to flush lots of clean brake fluid thru when you rebuild the calipers, flush the rear brakes too even if you don't have to rebuild the cailper. Also change the lube in the rear drive (I assume it's a shaft drive, I've forgotten what the Secas had).

8. norton

norton

I test rode a 900 Seca back in the day. It was a pretty nice bike.
    I owned a 750 Seca.
    4 cylinder carb rebuilds are expensive in a shop. Tackle it as a DIY project.
    Make sure you know what you are doing on the brake work. You might want to leave that to mechanic.

9. jackofalltrades

jackofalltrades

I owned two of those bikes and I think they were the greatest. My wife enjoyed riding on it , but after some time her knees didn't like it so I sold them and got a Goldwing. I just moved and found a few spare parts when packing up. If I find them I'll let you know what I have.
    I have pulled canoes, Hobie cats, other bikes, and even CARS whith my bike. After 80,000 miles it still had the original clutch, and still worked great.