close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Have I been hacked?

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by pascal, Jan 4, 2010.

1. pascal

pascal

Hello,
    A while back I was hacked by someone using a relatives email address. The link sent me to a site that warned of danger and my software, I thought blocked it. It had changed the name and address for my smtp server. Fixed it, ran everything I had in safe mode and things appear fine. Except that every now and again I run CCleaner and it erases files from Opera. I had Opera for two days about 6 months ago and deleted it. I run malware and antivirus everyday. I don't have opera and one computer connected wireless doesn't have opera and another hardlined is a Ubuntu only box.
    Should I be concerned, am I hacked? Thanks for any knowledgeable responses.
    pascal

2. GIockGuy24

GIockGuy24 Bring M&M's

I have both Opera and Firefox on my Windows PC. When I don't use Opera I don't think Ccleaner finds any Opera files to remove. How did you "delete" Opera? You can install Opera again, any version, and install Revo Uninstaller. Run Revo and and uninstall Opera using Revo. It should clean up remaining Opera files and folders pretty well. Sometimes the main program folder will remain in "Programs". Revo runs the program's uninstaller and then cleans up. If the program's uninstaller ask to reboot, say no and continue running Revo. Check all of the boxes, they should be checked by default. Reboot when Revo is finished. Go to Start>My Computer>Local Disk(C:)>Program Files and see if there is still an "Opera" folder in "Program Files". If so, right click on it and choose "Delete". Revo may have already deleted the Opera folder so it may not be there.

3. pascal

pascal

Hello GIockGuy24,
    I used windows unistaller. Then I went and deleted the folder in Programs, and went into all users accounts under Data Applications and deleted any opera folders. I've also used AdvancedSystemCleaner many times since then. I have left the opera section of programs in CCLeaner checked. But I'll try that program you suggested, thanks.
    pascal

4. pascal

pascal

Hello GIockGuy24,
    I did as you described. I downloaded revo and it found nothing. I downloaded and installed Opera 10.10 and let revo uninstall. I still found the Opera folder in programs and CCleaner found several files left over from revo and deleted them.
    I went into Documents and all user Applications Data and found and deleted a folder under Owner. Am I safe?
    Twist

5. GIockGuy24

GIockGuy24 Bring M&M's

It sounds alright. I did find one really small registry cleaner that seems to find things the others miss. So far it's been safe to use.

Free Window Registry Repair 2.0

http://www.regsofts.com/

6. pascal

pascal

Let me give it a shot. That revo program found and old Nero file that has been lingering for years. Thanks again for your time and knowledge.
    pascal

7. RDW

RDW BTDT

I run CCleaner, and registey mechanic on a regular basis.

I downloaded this program , and it found 163 problems, WTF?

8. pascal

pascal

Howdy,
    I used it and it found over 1000 errors. I run CCleaner everyday and Advanced System Cleaner every few days. I quess if I paid for the full version it wouldn't have been such a differential.
    Question, after the removal of the issues that Window Registry Repair 2.0 found, my computer actually takes a noticeably longer time to boot.
    Why???? Thanks for more help.
    pascal

9. GIockGuy24

GIockGuy24 Bring M&M's

Some of the things the Windows Registry Repair finds are reproduced and harmless, so it's common to find just over 100 things each time it runs. Finding 1000 things, then it's fixed some things. The slower start up should speed up after a couple of restarts. It may not even return now that so many things have been fixed. It may be just that Windows is searching for registry entries that aren't there.

10. pascal

pascal

I haven't done a clean reinstall since I got it. I also try quite a few different programs, 100's. There was a lot to get rid of. Maybe as you say it will just take a few restarts to get it back up to boot speed. Thanks again for your help.
    pascal