have humans stopped evolution

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by michael88, Dec 31, 2009.

1. michael88

michael88

to begin this is not the place to argue for or against god. With that said, have humans stopped our own evolution? With survival of the fittest in mind, are we no longer getting better and stronger? We have cured much sickness and disease thus enabling''weaker'' genes to survive and be passed on. We also have found ways to help infertile people to become fertile. We no longer have to fight for survival and food is abundant, so people with physical handicaps pass those genes along as well. Just thinking and curious about your thoughts. For once no right or wrong just thoughts.

2. Palouse

Palouse The Resistance Lifetime Member

3. GAFinch

GAFinch

In some ways, you're right, but:

1. It's not survival of the fittest, but survival of those who best adapt to environmental change.

2. Alcohol has been helping "inferior" people repopulate for thousands of years.

4. fmfdocglock

fmfdocglock

1. I would say yes as the gene pool is "physically" less fit. Eyesight, diabetes, other genetic conditions.

2. In terms of mental/intellectual fitness we may be improving.

3. Only time will tell.

5. Cali-Glock

Cali-Glock Mountain Man

By any definition of evolution (macro/micro, or whatever) the answer is no.

6. Scared_of_zombies

Scared_of_zombies

As any condition has become more "treatable", it has become more prevalent. Poor eyesight was one of the first to be treated and has a very high prevalence. Also the survival of premies and others that would have never survived early childhood is causing this as well (chromosomal disorders in particular).

7. AWoods

AWoods

In 50 years we may be able to hold our breath for 20 minutes, run 40 mph, lift a metric ton, etc..

With nano-tech and all of these genetic technologies, who knows.

I guess that would make evolution irrelevant.

8. john58

john58 BHO is a LIAR!

When I stop levitating, I'll use telepathy to send you the answer.

9. Glocks&Ducs

Glocks&Ducs

Nope, not at all. Someday, sometime, there will be a cataclysmic event that is way out of our control, possibly caused by us, possibly not and we will once again have to separate the boys from the men and the men from the girls.

At that time, only the most adaptable will survive and move on.

10. Carrys

Carrys Inquisitive

Of course we, as humans will continue to "evolve". That's just the nature of our universe. That we've also made sure that those who might not survive in today's society will, only speaks to our silliness not to our intelligence.

Now, as to what those "saved" will evolve into, or just what they'll become, who knows? I firmly believe some of the more......"liberal" in our society see them as a never ending supply of "serfs", in whatever capacity they want/need them. That such a desire goes against everything we humans believe in, either from a religious, natural, or humanity stand point, appears to bother them not in the slightest.

I weep for their souls, and it would seem I'm not the only one. All throughout history, the meanest and most despicable have always felt their goals were of "the highest order" and their actions meant only for the "greater good". They have never been able to see themselves as the rest of humanity does. Perhaps that is only a way to preserve their "self integrity", I don't know.

But Evil, dishonesty, and cruelty have always managed to "evolve", into more evil if nothing else. They will co opt you if they can, that's their job, and hey have been very good at their job over the years.

Watch out. Protect yourself if you can. But always steer away from evil, as hard as it is, you can do it. And it so disturbs evil, look around you.

We usually evolve into what we wish, heaven help us if that's true.

11. michael88

michael88

john I appreciate it, please tell me the power ball numbers

12. Atomic Punk

Atomic Punk

i have often thought thatthere are a lot of people breeding that really should not be. and on the other side of that there is the whole personal freedom thing. would not only upset a LOT of people but would not fit in with the constitution to madate who can or should be able to breed.

13. G36's Rule

G36's Rule Senior Member

Yes, I agree with this.

We may be stagnate now, but there is no way the status quo will be maintained forever.

14. TalkToTheGlock

TalkToTheGlock Zombie Hunter

I did a research for my genetics course regarding adaptation and evolution of the human race. We are constantly evolving. It is an extremely slow process. We seem to weed out the things that we don't need in life. Take an appendix for instance. There are numerous reports since 2001 that has stated that nearly 30% of newborns are born without an appendix. It is an organ that is not needed, therefore it is being bred out of humans.

Evolution is a fact. Mitosis pretty much sums up how we formed from single celled organisms and how they evolved to form more complex beings.

It's really astonishing once you dig deep into it.

I suggest anyone who has any ambition to dig into Evolution, check out Richard Dawkins new book, "The Greatest Show On Earth". In the past year I have stumbled through "On the Origin of Species" by Darwin, but it was written in old english and it extremely hard to comprehend. Dawkins new book gives a great summary and explains Evolution well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I-QWv_0Mjq0

Please watch and enjoy!

Thank you

15. john58

john58 BHO is a LIAR!

Sorry Mike, that would be a violation of the whole timeline continuum thing. You understand.:tongueout::rofl:

16. Carrys

Carrys Inquisitive

There is some speculation, and proof, that this has happened before in our history. Something about our civilization lowering down to about a 10,000 person bottleneck after a rather large volcanic explosion, IIRC.

I suppose what would happen and what people could do, would depend on just what knowledge those that survived retained. It's a lot different once one knows things such as automobiles, electricity, TV, radio, medicines, and microwaves are indeed real, instead of not even knowing they exist. Don't you think?

17. Front Sight

Front Sight Front Sight

If Americans were willing to elect Kenyas village idiot to the highest office in the US, that in itself should answer your question.

18. phil evans

phil evans

~ homo sapiens have been evolving,
    changing for 3kkk.
    we do reach into dead ends,
    we do remove the most promising through disease and wars.
    we do still keep muddling along.
    darwin knew something of this when he published his tome.
    nowadays dna can be traced back to around 60k,
    lines of evolvement - change with envrionment and local problems such as malaria, sleeping sickness, pestis, maybe super staph.
    groceries now plays a big role on who survives and who passes on their genes.
    in another time forward yellowstone may determine who survives and is able to transmit their dna.

19. PA86

PA86

Nope, the basic premise is the same.

20. Carrys

Carrys Inquisitive

Sorry, but I respectfully disagree.

Just the knowledge that certain things do indeed exist will have a much more profound effect on the survivors. That they would tell their children of electricity and it's uses would tend to make them much more apt to re-invent it, as not. That they all haven't the vaguest clue that it exist would mean many, many more years until it's coming into being, if at all.

These things may not exist after some sort of disaster, but the knowledge of them will remain. I'm quite sure that most everyone who'll survive will know about electricity, though some far removed natives may not. But enough will to spur the search. The same will go for many "modern" things that may be missed. Believe me, they will get talked out around the fires at night. And it will intrigue/forge many young imaginations.

I just believe that the knowledge that such things do exist, will only hasten their "re-invention". Maybe a pipe dream, but it's what I think. And there does appear to be some evidence of this type of "survivor" mentality.